ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 What Oil ? ? ?

I know this has maybe been brought up before :)

But what oil do yous guys reccomend for a 2002 172 FF ?

As i was gonna change oil, oil filter and sump washer/plug when i fit my oil gauges ;)

And where would best place be to get the oil i need ?

As i've heard Renault are quite useless unless your armed with part numbers :cool:

Civic Type R EK9
You cant get castrol edge sport 5w40 suprised it aint sounding like a skeleton having a w**k in a biscuit tin yet!!

Ph1
Waist of cash getting Silkolene when you can get other makes of oil that sill do the same job for near on half the price!!

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Waist of cash getting Silkolene when you can get other makes of oil that sill do the same job for near on half the price!!

With oil you get what you pay for, buy an oil half the price and it will be half as good.

Twingo 133
Think of all the old cars which have done 100k + they wernt serviced with special oil, and they still work.
So for road applications you dont need to spend a fortune. just well branded oil and regular changes.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Got some silky 5w-40 delivered from Opie this week (cheers Guy), went for it based on reviews on here. I have been using Shell Helix Ultra, thought id have a change to see if any difference.

:D

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
  Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Please can we have some proof with this statement???? Facts & Figures etc.....

You need to understand oil, start reading the posts by oilman..

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=187984

Second post in that link are all the links. I do have the BMW oil testing data someware, i will dig it out.

We are not all taken in with clever marketing hype, many well respected tuners on here state that any 5w40 should be acceptable for normal use. There may be justification if tracking your car as it will pobably be getting a serious thrashing. It all depends on personal taste as can be seen from the thread responses.

R

rich[182]

Makes me laugh when some people won't think twice about spending shed loads on induction kits which do f**k all to performance and then say that the likes of paying near £50 for Pro S as opposed to eg Halfords etc for £35 and you've wasted your cash

It wasn't marketing for me, Pro S was used in my 172 last year at a service as GDI simply used it as part of the service, it def was better than the Shell, no looking back since

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
It’s not marketing hype and i wouldn’t trust any tuner that says any 5W-40 is fine, every tuner i know, mainly Audi and BMW, wouldn’t dream of just putting any old oil in, decent oil only. It is not just service life that is greatly reduced on cheaper oils (due to them not being a proper synthetic) but they do not have the proper sealant qualities, an oil has many other uses other than just lubrication, reducing friction (friction modifiers, forming a low shear film near metal-to-metal) and cooling (oil is responsible for dissipating almost as much heat as the coolant). Cheap oils are less effective at doing this and also less effective at keeping the engine clean (preventing formation of deposits, piston rings, oil ways etc)

Big oil producers work hand in hand with vehicle engine designers, right from the outset. This is to specify the oils performance is matched as closely as possible to the operating needs of the engine and is why manufactories recommend particular oil for there engines. Oil is not specified once all the engineering work and development is completed; do you think they want to spend millions on lubricant testing?

In bmw’s for example, they use on board computers to calculate the variable service interval. It monitors a range of factors, including number of engine starts, number of combustion events and oil temps etc. They are then worked into a calculation using an algorithm to determine the oil change interval. What is doesn’t do is check the quality of the oil. It is well known that severe engine damage occurs if none specified oil is used in BMW’s if poor quality oil is used and the user goes by the on board computer.

I know we only have s**tty Renaults, but i personally use the same principles on any of my cars, use what the manufacture recommends or an oil that exceeds there specification.

Twingo 133
Modern oil these days has to pass tests so it can be sold, and the standards which are set these days are so much higher than they used to be.
So the oil which is from a good manufacturer will do the job nicely.

The chances are if you spend more on an expensive oil you will be less willing to change the oil again for a while, where as if you buy a cheaper branded oil with the savings you make, you can change the oil more regularly.

I have never seen any proof showing the benefits of using ester based oils in normal road going applications in comparison to other oils.
The only proof you regularly see is older cars, they are still running fine on the lesser oils so is it justified for the expensive oils?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Modern oil these days has to pass tests so it can be sold, and the standards which are set these days are so much higher than they used to be.

Indeed, are you aware of these tests? And the min/max stats they are governed by in the UK? And by govern I of course mean, specify, law and control.

Fuchs ( spelling ) titan supersyth £13.99 for 4L at GFS

It's very good stuff, not quite as good as the pro s , but not far off at a very good price!

leon

Thank god we all have a choice at the end of the day and that's what it boils down to really.

Your money, your car.

Good oils are insurance and save money in the long term (cat life is one good example) but it's your choice.

No marketing hype, just a choice and for modded/tracked car a no brainer.

Cheers
Simon

Deja vu 182
Going to R/R day on saturday , had my oil in for about 3000 miles thinking of changing oil again using Total 5/40 as quite reasonably priced .

Ph1
This reminds me of Vipers

When they first came out everyone said they were the best things ever and not one person had a bad word to say about them.

Certain tuners on here could tell you the moon was made out of cheese and 99% of folk would belive them just becuase it was written on a forum and they were regarded to be the best.

How folks opinions change over time eh ............

Oilman comes on forums trying to drum up business. Its in his best interests to spread his knowledge as it makes him a living.

Silkoline is regarded as good oil but for 98% of you on here its a waist of money as very few folk are going to be keeping their cars long enough for a ''poor'' oil to do damage and will never see the benefits a top quality oil has to offer unless your using your car for prolonged high tempreture use or constant racing etc

A half decent oil using the right grade is good enough for the man in the street

R

rich[182]

Agree, but some of us haven't used Silkolene as a forward thinking long term benefit, simply use it now as it makes a difference today, ie quieter idle etc

This reminds me of Vipers

Oilman comes on forums trying to drum up business. Its in his best interests to spread his knowledge as it makes him a living.

Silkoline is regarded as good oil but for 98% of you on here its a waist of money as very few folk are going to be keeping their cars long enough for a ''poor'' oil to do damage and will never see the benefits a top quality oil has to offer unless your using your car for prolonged high tempreture use or constant racing etc

A half decent oil using the right grade is good enough for the man in the street

Yes I do peddle my ways, we all have to make a living.

You are correct, you can use an average quality 10w-40 semi and all will be fine. But people often want better wether they need it or not, my most frequently asked quest is "what is the best oil for my car" and the best is generally what I recomend, these ester based oils expensive as they are do have benefits from day one, so short term as well as long term and that is a fact.

Cheers

Guy.