ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172... what to look for

Thats it... finally decided I need a 172 (or cup). Took one for a test drive and was impressed to say the least.

I dont want to buy new, anything upto a couple of years old. Apart from all the usual stuff to look out for can you guys let me know of anythings in particular that I should check.

Would it be better to go for the face lift model or are the old ones just as good? (still prefer the look of the older ones)

Any info would be much appreciated!

suggest you do various searches on faults, problems etc. you will find all the information you need on the forum already I am sure!

and whether to buy old ones or new ones - thats a matter of personal choice, if you prefer the old ones, buy an old one, there arent a lot of differences between them other than looks, but there are some.

Clio v6

If you prefer looks then follow your heart. That is very important. I do not know enough to offer my opinion on the MK2. Good luck with your final choice.

RB5 & 172

i have a mk1 in a not that common odysey blue that i might be selling soon. still got some manufacture warranty left.

and its one of the good ones.;)

Lee

BMW M2C

I prefer the front end of the Mk1 172, Kathys looks so much cooler than mine.

Why did they remove those nice cooling vents and replace them with headlamp washers!! :s

Make sure you know where the car came from. Even dealers are selling imports, which although are practically identical to an official UK car should retail for less, as they were purchased for less in the first place.

Ive just found a 172 Exclusive at a local dealer, selling for 8.5k and has low mileage. Definately like the green colour... believe this was a special addition of 172 made. Called them and arranged to see it later today...

... now where did I put my credit card!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 05 August 2003

Why did they remove those nice cooling vents and replace them with headlamp washers!! :s
cause we got xenon lights..

which coincidently brings me to remind you when buying a 172, check it has 2 washer balls, or it could cost you up to £7 to replace EACH ! ;)

I am one ball short just now, but thats enough of my personal life.

Clio v6

Yes they are basically the same as those fly killers you find in the local butchers shop, but with cool sunglasses on.:)

_KDF, I was one washer ball short until a few days ago. The nice people at Renault (I dont say that very often) fitted a new one for free, and they cleaned the car inside and out.........

I was a washer ball short too but I just went out to the local renault dealer when it was late and chaved one of one of the other 172. a great saving! (unlucky for some buggar who buys that car)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by andysport on 05 August 2003

I was a washer ball short too but I just went out to the local renault dealer when it was late and chaved one of one of the other 172. a great saving! (unlucky for some buggar who buys that car)
git!:mad:

Clio v6

Is it not illegal to steal?

Not one for stealing and doing illegal things myself, but at least my opinion has been shown. I doubt if many of us Cliosport members would agree with thieving. Good to let people see we are honest and law abiding people in this club.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by andysport on 05 August 2003

was it silver ? you bstard.. i bet it was mine you nicked it from. ;)

where about was this car ? i think i will go get the other one.. heh.. only j/k

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 05 August 2003

I prefer the front end of the Mk1 172, Kathys looks so much cooler than mine.

Make sure you know where the car came from. Even dealers are selling imports, which although are practically identical to an official UK car should retail for less, as they were purchased for less in the first place.

thank you for your kind words Mr Lee!!! I always knew it was the prettiest car ever in the world, but its nice when other people appreciate it too !!! :D

320d M Sport

im waiting for Rhys to reply! Hes had both. What he reckons is, his Mk1 is faster than his mk2 (they do vary), but he preferred the interior on the Mk2.

Oh, and Ive been told by a reno insider that the "Exclusive", well.....isnt! Apparently they made more than the quoted 172...

check the vin plate with renault and make sure its not an import i got stung once.

I have just bought an exclusive and shes a bute! i think you will find if you check with renault HQ there are only 172 genuine models and they can all be traced by their VIN plates.

Mine had a bloody washer ball missing too until last month, and its a silver car...:mad:. My local ren dealer has a black 02 in with..............A MISSING WASHER BALL!!!!!

Kis172; the colour of your car makes it look cool :cool:.

Both models look fantastic IMHO :) so go with your gut feeling and enjoy!!!