ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 with 15's as daily drive?

The Beast MK4
Anybody run 15's as a day to day wheel on their 172/182?

How do you find the drive and the performance compared to the larger wheel? Folks who use them on track days are welcome to comment as well.

Reason is im thinking of putting my old 15" Team Dynamics on to give me a bit more tyre between wheel and roads for a while. One of my conti's got destroyed last night and there is a wee bit of curbing on the rim due to the shocking roads, err I mean cave entrances in my part of the world.

lift number 1 @ btm
i've been running 15s for most of last year. the car pulls noticably quicker with the lower gearing and tyres are a lot cheaper.

The Beast MK4
I beg your pudding. I should have said MK2 172 and 182's.

Just out of interest what profile is on the MK1 172's 15's?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i ran both 15's and 16's on my old Mk1 172.

15's gave a noticably better ride (obviously) and the car was a little quicker to boot!

The Beast MK4
Tis going to be a busy night changing them over then! :cool:

Here are the actual wheels on my old 1.2.

100_0876.jpg

those tyres look fat! lol

for you information: the Mk2 172 was specced with 15" dynamique wheels as standard over on the continent.

tiTTy & SV650
john boy i'm putting oz f1's on mine running 195 50 15 v rated tyres gives pretty much the same outside diameter as a 205 45 16 tyre so it shouldnt affect my speedo much.

tyres are cheaper which is a big attraction to me.

The Beast MK4
those tyres look fat! lol

for you information: the Mk2 172 was specced with 15" dynamique wheels as standard over on the continent.

They are fat! lol

195/50/R15 to be precise - They should be more comfortable and should be able to cope with the poor surfaces like on the 1.2. And about the 15's on the continent, You learn something every day! :approve:

john boy i'm putting oz f1's on mine running 195 50 15 v rated tyres gives pretty much the same outside diameter as a 205 45 16 tyre so it shouldnt affect my speedo much.

tyres are cheaper which is a big attraction to me.

Indeed sir, once the yoko's on the TD's are done then its exalto time if things are suitable.

The Beast MK4
Sportlines shall be the order of the day in a few months sir Ali.

And as for the Eagles its one hell of a debate lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Eagle F1's are poor imo. I went through a set quick enough in the old 172. Avon's wern't much beter. Just ordered PE2's for Summer.

tiTTy & SV650
i used to run 14" exaltos on my pug gti and will only use pe2's on my 16s so I figure its gonna be Michelins on the 15s too.

pmsl, Avon's are like the Alba of the tyre world, I don't know what Goodyear would be, but it would be whichever make looks like all the rest, costs about the same but is s**t by comparison... PE2 time tomorrow for me, hoping they last about 5k, but that's after my camber's been set to negative 2 degrees :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
pmsl, Avon's are like the Alba of the tyre world, I don't know what Goodyear would be, but it would be whichever make looks like all the rest, costs about the same but is s**t by comparison... PE2 time tomorrow for me, hoping they last about 5k, but that's after my camber's been set to negative 2 degrees :)

alba...I get them for next to nothing for workin @ knockhill and 'Having' to use them for Racing!...31£ a corner...But they are nothing short of scary in the wet!