ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won’t start first time!!!

Hi guys, hopfully someone might be able to help. My 172 has started, over the last 2 mornings, to not start first time.

It splutters and wont fire when I turn the key, but if I turn the key back and try it again immediatly it starts no probs.

Has anyone had this problem? or can anyone shed some light on what it might be.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Mine did this - lots of them do. Dont think theres a problem, its just one of those characteristics. Maybe the hot weathers got something to do with it.

My clio 1.2 16v dynamique had this problem took it to renault they fiexed in under warranty plugged a lap top in the lighter socket area,........

they replaced a tcs??? sensor as well!

yep, me too. About 1 in every 20-30 or so start ups it does it. I usually turn the ignition after the SERV light goes out, I find it starts quicker, not sure. maybe its just me :)

mine to only when hot tho, after begin sat in the sun, only just starts and ticks over really low, prob fuel evaperating (spl?) or somethink.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Mine used to do this quite a lot too. Since ive had the R-Sport ECU in its never done it again interestingly.

S2000

My Mk1 does this all the time. Its a bit of a pain in the arse. I heard some people metioning a TDC sensor in other posts?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Nik on 09 June 2005

Mine used to do this quite a lot too. Since ive had the R-Sport ECU in its never done it again interestingly.
yeah mine never did it after the ECU change either come to think of it. I dont think the people who programmed the R-Sport ECU were too worried about cold-start emissions (round of applause!).

Skoda Fabia vRS

mine does this, Mk1 1.8 16v

strangely it goes almost completely if ive got some Forte Gas Treatment in the tank, once thats ran through then the problem comes back

S2000

If someone had a solution to this it would be great because although I can always get it to start its a pain having to try twice before it fires.

Does everyone else find that it is only if the car has been left for a few hours that this happens?

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

guess its a renault thing and its not been ironed out for the 182s either......mine used to do it all the time (only mornings though)...but has been ok since its 12k service......well thats jinxed it then

Yeah, mine did it about 8-9 months ago, and has started doing it again.

It only happens on a morning tho!! Ive got to get it booked in for a service tho and its about 3-4000 over due, so maybe some new plugs n stuff with cure it. Ill let you know.

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive found with my Clio and the missus Fiesta that if you just put the key in and start the engine in one go sometimes it doesnt seem that happy start.

Ive found that if you turn the ignition, wait for the lights on the dash to switch off then start it, it seems a lot happier!!

happens on my 52reg 172 too... personally i think its an imobiliser fault.

when i turn the ignition key once i can hear a slight buzzing noise as the dashboard leds come on. the majority of times the buzzing noise stops with a little click noise after a couple of seconds and i can start the car up as normal by turning the ignition key round further. however, there are times when i turn the ignition key round once the buzzing sound doesnt stop and when i turn the key further the car never starts 1st time.

[Edited by preecy on 10 June 2005 at 11:15am]

172cup

No intermediate starting problems here... and mines got 32k on the clock.

Only thing i have got is a hell of a shudder on starting. Sounds and feels very weird.

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 10 June 2005

i was under the impression it was an immobilisor issue not a cold/hot start problem.
Me too, I used the other key and it starts instantly first time.