ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't go past 6000 revs on full throttle!

clio 172
Cheers to all from the other side of the pond. I'm having a very strange issue with my 172. If I floor the accelerator pedal, in any gear, the car Hits a sort of limiter at 6000 revs. However, the car will go past 6000 all the way to 7km where the usual limiter is, if I dont give her full throttle.

Also, when the 6000 "limiter" kicks in, the car sounds like a freaking diesel, like the exhaust valves are not closing, I can hear it through the exhaust!

I took the car to the stealer's, the clip came out as a Throttle body fault. I installed my throttle body on a mate's car, and guess what, no fault. My mate's throttle body in my car came out with the same fault, so that one got rules out. Cleared the code and it didnt come back. So far, i've also tried the following:

-Cleaned the throttle pot
-Cleaned throttle body
-New throttle body wiring harness
-Cleaned all sensors on plenum
-Checked coil pack

What the F is wrong with the car? I've also looked into the dephaser pulley, but what hits me as odd is that when the dephaser is shot it sounds like a diesel always, right?

Now, the VVT soleniod kicks in at 1800 or something, and it cuts out at around the same revs that I am getting my fault, right? Could someone explain how the solenoid works and also, does the engine opperates any diifferent when on full throttle?

This is my guess--- the exhaust valves are not closing properly, compression is escaping through them (hence the uber noisey exhaust) so that's why It wont get past those revs. Now, I've read that the solenoid opperates on oil pressure. Could it be that when I floor it, the oil pressure builds up in such a way that the VVT solenoid is unable to retract to its initial position???

Sorry about the extra long post! Help please!!

tiTTy & SV650
the rev limiter is different in different gears and lower when the engine is cold, are you taking this into account? peak rev limiter is 6250rpm normally if I recall correctly

clio 172
the rev limiter is different in different gears and lower when the engine is cold, are you taking this into account? peak rev limiter is 6250rpm normally if I recall correctly

the limiter is 1000 revs over that if I recall. Thing is, if i dont floor the gas pedal it will go all the way to 7k+, if I do floor it it sticks at 6K. So nope, it's not the limiter. Thanks for your answer!

tiTTy & SV650
yeah you're right, sorry its 6500 or 7250 isn't it, my mistake

strange, so only happens at full throttle? but not if you gradually build up to full throttle?

clio 172
yeah you're right, sorry its 6500 or 7250 isn't it, my mistake

strange, so only happens at full throttle? but not if you gradually build up to full throttle?

Yes, exactly- it will go all the way above 7k where the regular limiter is if I dont floor the gas. What´s your guess¿