ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't start in -4

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Turns over fine but just will not fire up - i'm guessing something has frozen and it will be ok when it warms up? Any ideas? Spark plugs?

Barge
If you're in a hurry and can't wait, get a hairdryer on it to warm the block up a little, surrounding pipes, etc. Don't know whether it helps but it seems to get my neighbours 206 shite working everytime. Was it running ok yesterday or has it been left for a few days?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
No was fine yesterday no probs. i borrowed the wifes c max to get to work but had to push mine off the driveway first. have you ever tried pushing a car uphill on ice by yourself? i think i've put my back out.....

Barge
LOL. No, I haven't but I can imagine it's not good.

Hmmm, give the hairdryer thing a blast tonight on the block, pipes and battery. If the battery is too cold it'll have few electrons so not enough to power the starter motor. Warming the block will also help with warming the oil.

Titanium 182
If the battery is too cold it wouldn't turn over fine needhead.

petrol cars are normally ok in colder temperatures, diesel can actually freeze. it could be something like your fuel pump I guess.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
the only other thing is that the car has no petrol - the light isn't on yet, but its right at the bottom.

Titanium 182
Aye if it's on a hill and all the petrol is drained to the back/front of the tank away from the bit where it sucks it out of the tank (technical I know). Try and get it on the flat if that's the case.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
it was on a slight hill, nose pointing down. computer says 50 miles left. I might just get some sparkplugs and a gallon of petrol on the way home. If that doesn't work i'll call the AA later tonight.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
did you run the 'warning' lights sequence on the dash.
Im curious as this happened to me and it wouldnt fire, just the key would go round to the 4th notch and do nada as if it was about to crank and spark.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
If that hairdryer trick works, I'll eat my 182. Check you have spark at the coil pack whilst someone else is cranking it. Then check your fueling.

Any lights on the dash?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
No lights on the dash, or a fuel light, the starter motor turns, and it ocassionally sounds like its going to start, then dies.

Last edited:
  Honda Integra Type R
lmao at the hairdryer trick. You would have to stand there for about a week before you got any temperature. Even then Heating the Engine would make no difference.

Does Maybe sound like its lack of fuel.

If it Turns over its not the Starter, so like someone has said check for fuel and spark.

Also maybe give the TDC(Flywheel Sensor) a wiggle??

Barge
What? You mean a hairdryer can't get an engine up to temperature? Well I never. :rolleyes:

Being on a slant with little fuel is very tempremental in some cars, my old 1.2 I used to get that a lot and had to park it on the flat when it was low on petrol.

Did you push it onto the flat then, Clart? Or back onto the slant on the drive?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
its back on the flat road and still doesn't start. Sounds like it might be the TDC. I'll have to get the AA out later.

M2 Competition
If that hairdryer trick works, I'll eat my 182. Check you have spark at the coil pack whilst someone else is cranking it. Then check your fueling.

Any lights on the dash?

Lots of canadians/ those in cold states heat the block. You'd be stood there a while, but if you could balance it somewhere and leave it running it might help.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
just sent the wife to get some petrol in a jerry can - started first time. I don't understand why it didn't start when it was parking on a flat road if the computer still said 50 miles left.

Lesson learnt - do not park on even the smallest slope with under 50 miles worth of petrol left!