ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't start - single loud click

MG B roadster/172 cup
Hi gents,

My 172 cup doesn't want to start, when i turn the ignition on I can hear the usual noises, fuel pump priming etc, then when i turn to start there is a single loud click and the engine does not turn over, the click is coming from the starter motor area. I assume this is the starter solenoid not doing its job properly or the motor is stuck?

Anyway, I've tried bumping the car and it starts easily, and runs fine.

I've tried running a jump lead from the gearbox to the -ve terminal on the battery to make sure it isn't a poor earth strap, same single loud click.

This morning I tried jump leads from a running car to make sure it isn't the battery, same single loud click.

So before I order a new starter motor is there anything else i should check?

Thanks for your help.

James

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If it bumps easily, I'd bet my last penny it's the starter.

Have you tried the traditional method of smacking it with a hammer to get it to release ? (I may be talking nonsense...)

MG B roadster/172 cup
I would try smacking it with a hammer as I've done on numerous cars in the past, but some clever soul hid the starter under the manifold!!! Looks like ebay for a new starter motor...

330i. E30 Touring.
Lol. Use a breaker bar and give the starter a whack.. I've got a few kicking about yeah. £25 posted for a starter motor..

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd check the starter solenoid control +12v wire to. It's not as common as it was but the wire is known to break or corrode at the terminal over time resulting in this very fault.

I had this on a 182 this very week and sure enough it had come off... A common Mk1 fault raises its head again.

MG B roadster/172 cup
Ok, will try hitting it with a breaker bar, then look at the terminals, if this doesn't work I'll drop you a PM budgie.

Thanks all.