ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172cup vs 206 gti 180

clio 172 cup
the cup weight is 1010kg the gti180 is more like 1200kg them seats and all the gadgets and 17inch alloys it gets make it heavy.
the gti180 aint gutless after 4k revs though as what ive read peak power isnt until 7k right on the redline.
cup will win couple car lengths

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
180 = 0-60 in 7.2secs
Cup = 0-60 in 7.0secs? (or slightly less as i have only stats for FF here)

Close... but the Cup should have it imo

MCS R56
6.8 according to Renault, 6.5 according to Evo. 0-60 means sod all. 0-100 is a better indicator imo.

It will be close in a straight line but it would be easy to c**k up. Everyone knows what car is better fun!

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
I think we all know the Cup is the quicker car.

According to EVO it was 0.3secs quicker to 60mph which bascially means if you drive the car to it's potential you should win. But also, expect to lose if you fluff things even slightly.

Ph1
Lad i know had a 180, reckoned it was terrible on the fuel.

On the plus side it saved his and 2 mates lives after crashing into a woodland area at claimed silly speeds.

Mk3 Clio dynamique SX
Which has more torque?

I think its a matter of where is the torque in the rev range?

Tyres, weight, and start are all important... coming from a citroen / pug and with the clio being lighter id say clio woudl edge it off the line, however its a dam good line up. The pug is a good car.

:D

I had one of these Peugeot 206 GTI-180s (and Ive had a Full Fat Clio 182). I got the 180, after the Ford Racing Puma.... and for a bit of a joke, I called my mate up with a Phase 2 172, and we had a test.

Identical. Simple as. Nothing in it. Mid range is identical, from 20mph to 70mph.

All this nonense about 0-60 make me laugh out loud. Manufacturers perform countless 0-60 tests, break components along the way, and get an average figure. Its very rare that you'll get that same figure on the roads.

And regards "fun factor". I found the 206 GTI-180 to be equally as fun, as the lift off oversteer was so abundent and often. The Clios are very neutral in comparison, where as the 206 would aid turn-in so well, with its feathery rear-end. But we all know how superb the Clios are, with regards turn-in.

Mind you, that car is long gone sold, and I forget I even had it sometimes.... I broke the gear-selector in it aswell, after only 1 week. LOL. Clio took a beating, and nothing broke on it from new.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Actually I beg to disagree, as the 180s are known for understeer.

There wouldnt b a lot in a straight line race, i reckon the clio would edge it. Doesnt anyone know the quarter mile times for the gti-180s?

0-60s are a bit vague tbh.

MCS R56
I had one of these Peugeot 206 GTI-180s (and Ive had a Full Fat Clio 182). I got the 180, after the Ford Racing Puma.... and for a bit of a joke, I called my mate up with a Phase 2 172, and we had a test.

Identical. Simple as. Nothing in it. Mid range is identical, from 20mph to 70mph.

All this nonense about 0-60 make me laugh out loud. Manufacturers perform countless 0-60 tests, break components along the way, and get an average figure. Its very rare that you'll get that same figure on the roads.

And regards "fun factor". I found the 206 GTI-180 to be equally as fun, as the lift off oversteer was so abundent and often. The Clios are very neutral in comparison, where as the 206 would aid turn-in so well, with its feathery rear-end. But we all know how superb the Clios are, with regards turn-in.

Mind you, that car is long gone sold, and I forget I even had it sometimes.... I broke the gear-selector in it aswell, after only 1 week. LOL. Clio took a beating, and nothing broke on it from new.

We're talking Cup here though, and that is slightly quicker and handles better. The fact that the 180 is never mentioned in hot hatch talk says enough.

I love these sweeping statements. Ive had both, and both are great cars. You all talk as if the 172 Cup is in a league of its own, from all the Clios. There's nothing in any of them, lets be real here.

MCS R56
I love these sweeping statements. Ive had both, and both are great cars. You all talk as if the 172 Cup is in a league of its own, from all the Clios. There's nothing in any of them, lets be real here.

How ever small the margin is, it still counts. The Cup has the advantage.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Nail... Head...

Head.. Nail...

Have you two met?

Agree definately with regards to the road. Fair enough on a track where a second might aswell be a minute. But on the road, you'll have to have big differences to notice usually.

MCS R56

Nail... Head...

Head.. Nail...

Have you two met?

Agree definately with regards to the road. Fair enough on a track where a second might aswell be a minute. But on the road, you'll have to have big differences to notice usually.

Indeed.