ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17's on a 1.4 clio?

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
Just wondering if 17" wheels will fit on my clio and if they do would i notice any difference in handling ie. better or worse?

Breaking A 172 Replica
The handling gets a lot worse.

I did it on my 1.2 dynamique about three months ago and this is what I noticed:

Ride becomes a fair bit harder

Handling becomes fair more snappy - one minute you feel well in its limits the next the rear end is going. With 15s it is far more gradual loss of traction

You become paranoid about potholes because with the low pro tyres it is soo easy to bend and ruin the alloys

You can't lower it very far

Whilst I didn't really notice it laws of physics dictate it will also slower in a straight line due more weight and even if suspended in the air the engine must work harder to turn the wheels.

It was as a result of the above I have now changed back to 15s.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
you can lower it plenty, mines about 70-80mm lower on 17's. I cant comment on differences in handling because I put 17's on straight away, however it seems ok. I do agree that the low profile tyres make the ride a little bit harder though. As for the 'it'll slow you down' I've not been outpaced by any other 1.2s, they may grab an inch or 2 if we are both flat out.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I know the argument, but like I said it doesn't slow you down enough for it to bias you're decision. an inch or 2 if that in a straight line. I cant argue any other points as like I said, always had 17's on mine however I will say I am considering putting 15's back on as I understand it will making more fun in corners etc

2.0 16v 172 mk2
http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1384&V_ID=26744&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=4x100%20et35,4x100%20et37,4x100%20et38,4x100%20et40,4x100%20et42,4x100%20et45&numPageStartPosition=58&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all&Make=Renault&Model=Clio%201%201.2%20to%201.8&strSize=15%22

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=899&V_ID=27072&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=4x100%20et35,4x100%20et37,4x100%20et38,4x100%20et40,4x100%20et42,4x100%20et45&numPageStartPosition=114&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all&Make=Renault&Model=Clio%201%201.2%20to%201.8&strSize=15%22

Check out these linksto alloys, which one do you think would soot my mk1 phs3 r reg clio. Sizes 15 or 16 not to suer either????:dapprove:

Renault Clio, 216 Tomcat
mate 17"s on a quick motor it sits too high and personally i fiond it tram lines sumfin sawfull with 17"s

172 FF
Jus fitted 17" to my 1.2 16v last week. Had the original 14" on for 2 years but couldnt handle how it looked any more

DSC00010.jpg

Got a good deal from rochford tyres for BSA maniks with the tyre upgrade for a smaller footprint to suit the smaller arches.
11032007201.jpg

What I've noticed so far is less tendency to wheelspin in the wet in 1st when pulling away. In the dry grip is much much better than standard wheels, although havent been brave enuff to put it to limit yet in fear of damaging my new wheels! I would however say that in the lower revs of the top 3 gears acceleration is slightly worse, but only very marginally. My main reason for buying them was purely for how they look tbh, always been a fan of big wheels. Cant say anythin about lowering yet as Im still shoppin around for sum springs. I guess its a matter of opinion but am well chuffed with them, think it will look the nuts once lowered. id say go for it if you like the way big wheels look, but will need lowering a little.

Burgandy 174 sport t
17's look great on them I had them on my dci yrs ago and it looked good imo dropped about 30mm was perfect. Infact it was more hassle when I put 172 wheels on it

Chelsea tractor
Isn't it slower because of the higher spin weight (rather than the negligible extra overall weight) that the larger wheels provide? It's to do with moments (and hence torque needed to turn the wheel). The basics of it being that the engine will have to work harder to spin a weight further out from the axle.

For example...
A weight of 80N that is 0.215m away from the centre of the wheel will require more effort to turn it (17.2 N.m) than a wheel with 80N at 0.175m from the axle (14 N.m)...

Possibly hence why you don't wheelspin so much any more ;)

I think that's right? Correct me if I've been misguided ;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Isn't it slower because of the higher spin weight (rather than the negligible extra overall weight) that the larger wheels provide? It's to do with moments (and hence torque needed to turn the wheel). The basics of it being that the engine will have to work harder to spin a weight further out from the axle.

For example...
A weight of 80N that is 0.215m away from the centre of the wheel will require more effort to turn it (17.2 N.m) than a wheel with 80N at 0.175m from the axle (14 N.m)...

Possibly hence why you don't wheelspin so much any more ;)

I think that's right? Correct me if I've been misguided ;)
With the difference in tyres theres probably only about an inch difference in the overall diameter, so to make any real noticeable difference in speed you would need a much bigger wheel, maybe a 20"...

Blue Clio 182
Just wondering if 17" wheels will fit on my clio and if they do would i notice any difference in handling ie. better or worse?

If i was you i'd get 16's, the handling on mine is much better with 16's on and it's not noticably high, My mate has 17's on and it's really high, looks like a monster truck, she is getting smaller ones!!

clio 1.4 petrol
I have 17s on my 1.4 the handling difference its minimal and looks well better imo. HAving saying that mine is lowered on its arse 60mm but it like sits right on archers.

Chelsea tractor
With the difference in tyres theres probably only about an inch difference in the overall diameter, so to make any real noticeable difference in speed you would need a much bigger wheel, maybe a 20"...

Wasn't going on overall diameter, just the diameter of the alloys themselves. I also wasn't talking about speed although i didn't expressly state it i guess... ;)

Gumby said:
Isn't it slower...
Meaning acceleration...

Presuming it's the same density metal, in the same style, then a 17" wheel will be harder to turn than a 14" one, therefore will accelerate slower. I know they're not the same style etc. but was just stating a point :)

It works on the same basis as that your arm doesn't have to work as hard to pick up a bag of sugar in your hand, than when you try to pick up the bag of sugar at the end of a metre long pole...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Wasn't going on overall diameter, just the diameter of the alloys themselves. I also wasn't talking about speed although i didn't expressly state it i guess... ;)

Gumby said:
Isn't it slower...
Meaning acceleration...

Presuming it's the same density metal, in the same style, then a 17" wheel will be harder to turn than a 14" one, therefore will accelerate slower. I know they're not the same style etc. but was just stating a point :)

It works on the same basis as that your arm doesn't have to work as hard to pick up a bag of sugar in your hand, than when you try to pick up the bag of sugar at the end of a metre long pole...
sorry I know what your saying, but in context its more like picking up a bag of sugar by the bag, or by a handle. The weight would imo be the only factor, and wouldn't affect the performance when accelerating or at top speed in a noticeable way I dont think.

Chelsea tractor
sorry I know what your saying, but in context its more like picking up a bag of sugar by the bag, or by a handle. The weight would imo be the only factor, and wouldn't affect the performance when accelerating or at top speed in a noticeable way I dont think.

Hmm not really... It's more the weight at the end of a radius that affects it.

It's kind of hard to explain without being super geeky, but yes the increased weight of the wheels will affect performance, although only marginally by means of increasing "overall weight" (you're probably only talking about 1-2kg per wheel).

The fact that the wheel itself is itself heavier and has the weight concentrated further away from its axis (ignoring circumference etc.) means that it is harder for the engine to turn.

Google moments / torque if it doesn't make sense - I'm not the best at explaining lol

Mustang, S13, AX GT

Hmm not really... It's more the weight at the end of a radius that affects it.

It's kind of hard to explain without being super geeky, but yes the increased weight of the wheels will affect performance, although only marginally by means of increasing "overall weight" (you're probably only talking about 1-2kg per wheel).

The fact that the wheel itself is itself heavier and has the weight concentrated further away from its axis (ignoring circumference etc.) means that it is harder for the engine to turn.

Google moments / torque if it doesn't make sense - I'm not the best at explaining lol
I understand what you're saying buddy and you're right it will affect it, just not enough to be noticeable IMO.

Jus fitted 17" to my 1.2 16v last week. Had the original 14" on for 2 years but couldnt handle how it looked any more

DSC00010.jpg

Got a good deal from rochford tyres for BSA maniks with the tyre upgrade for a smaller footprint to suit the smaller arches.
11032007201.jpg

What I've noticed so far is less tendency to wheelspin in the wet in 1st when pulling away. In the dry grip is much much better than standard wheels, although havent been brave enuff to put it to limit yet in fear of damaging my new wheels! I would however say that in the lower revs of the top 3 gears acceleration is slightly worse, but only very marginally. My main reason for buying them was purely for how they look tbh, always been a fan of big wheels. Cant say anythin about lowering yet as Im still shoppin around for sum springs. I guess its a matter of opinion but am well chuffed with them, think it will look the nuts once lowered. id say go for it if you like the way big wheels look, but will need lowering a little.

sorry to take back an old thread but what size are they 17 / 205 / 40 maybe? did you have to do any work to it apart from that? they just fit straight on?

fabia vrs
put 17's on my 1.2 16v and i was doing a lot more feul because i was having to give it more gas to get anywhere !!!! took them off and fitted some better lower profile tyre's to my 15's (195/50/15 in stead of 185/55/15) ;)

Ph 1 172
15's and lowered 60mm i didnt notic any diference in acceleration or anything but handeling was much much better... and tires aint as much for 15's lol

heres a pic

from this
69146604a4826313437l.jpg

to this (my personal view looks better than a clio monster truck on 17's sorry for anyone with 17's lol)

69146604a4866846074l.jpg