ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17's on a 172

Hi all, i bought a monaco blue 172 a few months ago and it had 17's on it. At first i thought it looked good but now it's started looking only ok and it doesn't really fill it's arch's. I think the car has had a rough life and i'm slowly going to upgrade it and change parts etc to get it running really nice, first thing i'm doing is the belts, dephaser (rattling) and oill an filter change (24th at Birchdown). Also a new clutch will be done and maybe a gearbox refurb depending on the price, new spark plugs, discs and pads.

My main point is as follows, should i down size the alloys and for what reason? If it's just for the look of the car i'm thinking is it worth it or will the size make a major difference to the drive? And if i do down size will the arch's be even less filled than it is now?

Oh and is there anything i really need to change other than what's mentioned as my minds gone a bit blank.

Thanks.

Suzuki Jimny
I had 17" alloys on mine when I bought it, and the addition of turinis improved the handling a lot :)

Get some cup turinis on the go and slam it on it's arse.

Waht size would you personally say is best?

I had 17" alloys on mine when I bought it, and the addition of turinis improved the handling a lot :)

i don't know if it's the wheels but mine does not want to stay on the road when i get to a round about in the wet, even at 25mph it really wants me to meet the curb.

Here's a phone pic, best i have. Needs a clean as the journey to work is filthy everyday!

IMAG0234.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0197.jpg
[/IMG]

Found another pic

Last edited:
  Clio 172 cup,
Not a fan of wheels like that on a clio tbh, they look too chunky and tall, dont really suit the car.

like others have said a good set of turinis which are 16" will see a big improvement,

also the reason for bad handling is probably bad tyres if you have budgets on it,

get some turinis with decent rubber on (such as michelin pilot sport 3's - great tyres if you can afford them) and feel the vast improvement in handling, grip and braking.

Yeah i was expecting these comments tbh, like i said, at first i liked them as my previous car was a 98 1.1 fiat lol but recently there annoying my eyes a bit.

With belts and dephaser coming this month, then discs pads and clutch to follow the money flow is real low at the minute, is there a poor mans Turinis?

Listerine & Poledo
i just had a little bit of sick in my mouth.

even some Renault originals will do in improving the look by infinite%

The moment when the girlfriend realises Christmas has been downgraded to pound shop presents, awkward!