ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17''s on Mk1 Ph3?

im thinking of purchasing some nice new wheels for my MK1 PH3 clio...

i see most people on here buy the 15'' wheels and then have the car lowered, thing is i can't lower my car cos i have to drive down a pot holed farm track every day!!

so instead of 15'' wheels im thinking of going with 17'' to ballance out the look of not having my car lowered.

can i fit 17'' wheels strait onto my car?
or will i need to have the arches rolled etc.

also, will having a wheel with a larger circumference cause a false reading on my speed dial? leading to problems with speed cameras !!

would be interested to see any advice, pics or links if anyone has done this
couldn't find anything using the search

a snap of my standard granny style clio! :dapprove:

DSC00509.jpg

just added wheels in photoshop - thats what im after!! ;)

clio17photoshopcopy.jpg

6/468 17poo
If you put 17's on it will ride like a boat mate, you need to lower it at least 40mm if not more, Remedi on here had 17s on his black phase3.
Also you will lose alot of power, wouldnt recommend 17s to any1 16's with low profiles will be loads better!
Ryan

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Very debateable^^ 17's look much beta...15/16's are slightly more precise. best compromise is 205-45-16. (Wider profile whilst keeping a sensible sidewall flex) But for slightly slower cars, go for the best look poss.

A silver Honda
Noooo!!

Stick with 15s or 16s max. Your car will look like a tractor if not lowered!

You will need 16v wings on the front and rear wings will to be need rolled, flared or have custom arches made to fit them properly.

Here are some pics of mine with 17s lowered 55mm.

(regular scrubbing)

:dapprove:

1095790083___0001.jpg

1107988528__17s_2.jpg

reararch17rs.jpg

home01small6fe.jpg

Golf GTI 1.8T
conrad21 said:
so instead of 15'' wheels im thinking of going with 17'' to ballance out the look of not having my car lowered.

ever seen a mk1 with 15's on that isnt lowered?? they look proper jacked up from the back and from the side it has stilts, dont do it!!

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
If u get 15s running 195/45/15 rubber, than it wont be that much higher than ur 13s are with their HUGE thick rubber.

I went from stock steelies with fat rubber to 15s with thin rubber WITHOUT doing suspension... yea... it doesnt look desireable... but it looks nicer than standard wheels!

With 15s and thin rubber, I'm slamming it by 60mm, from what people say, it takes no body work at all, standard wings, no rolling.

I'll believe it when I see it like, but I got my trusty tape measure out, and theres about 68mm betweem the top of my tyres and the metal of the arch-rim. So with a 60mm drop, I should have a nice fingers-width of gap. With the uprated shocks, that should be enough to avoid scrubbing.

Though; like I said... believe it when I see it...

-Akira

17s look shite on any clio, never mind a non-16v mk1...they'll also destroy handling and performance. Unless you want to look like a kiddie who doesn't know any better avoid them!

16s look ok but 15s better still. 14's (which i'm going for next week) would be the best for that car IMO.

In all cases it'll need lowered to avoid the 4x4 look...going on experience, you're farm road won't be bad enough to stop that

Thanks for the input everyone,, much appreciated

i didn't realise fitting 17's would lift the car so much that it would need lowering + arch mods, oh well learn something new every day, yes im newb
:eek:

Remedi - your car looks the buisness m8, thanks for sharing

im now thinking 16's with low profile tyres, then lower a little if needed just to bring it back down, hopefully keeping enough ground space under the car and not worrying too much bout scrubbing

or maybe it would be safer to stick with 15's and lower it about 40mm

Akira - id be really interested to know the distance between the underside of your bumper and the ground just to compare to mine

the main thing is i want to replace the standard wheels without having to lower it too much - keeping enough ground space for bumps etc.

thanks

u33db said:
16s look ok but 15s better still. 14's (which i'm going for next week) would be the best for that car IMO.

14's - you goin for the euro style / deep rims?

these are my fav. but wouldn't you have to lower the car loads meaning the bumper would practicaly be touching the road?

No, they'll be refurbed RSI wheels on 185/55/14 tyres (same circ and 195/45/15) - nice and light at 6.8kilos each. Will need lowered a fair bit - going down about 60mm using 16v bits :)

172 M69 eater
yup the lips were grinded back... id stay with 15's if i was u... 16's and 17's sap power and in real life look poop