ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 ’knocking’ sorted once & for all

Yaris Hybrid

Anyone else tried adjusting their mount? As I said one of my rubber blocks is touching the black surround and the other has a 1mm gap. Not room for adjustment there? I was gonna cut off a bit of old pushbike innertube and stick that in the gap so its a tight fit?

Nearly everyone has this problem so has anyone else tried out this suggested fix?

Lee

BMW M2C

Ive just had a look at mine and the mount itself is certainly not central. I shall point it out tomorrow and ask them to adjust it.

Hope they get time as they are also doing the alarm for the 4th time, the exhaust and the brakes.

And for good measure Im having them remove the plastic engine cover as that vibrates really badly at low revs. I cant get the dam thing off as the two top screws are extremely tight.

Nice one Faz, I shall post the results tomorrow afternoon.

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 14 December 2004

Anyone else tried adjusting their mount? As I said one of my rubber blocks is touching the black surround and the other has a 1mm gap. Not room for adjustment there? I was gonna cut off a bit of old pushbike innertube and stick that in the gap so its a tight fit?

Nearly everyone has this problem so has anyone else tried out this suggested fix?

only 1 mm gap? if you look at my pic above mine has nearly 5mm gap each side before they touch the black surround?

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 14 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 14 December 2004

only 1 mm gap? if you look at my pic above mine has nearly 5mm gap each side before they touch the black surround?
Yes the one nearest the driver is in complete contact pressed up against the black surround. You can just about see day light between the one nearest the front of the car and the black surround.

Clearly there is more to this than the size of the gap. Maybe the rubber bungs compress over time hence you have a larger gap - assuming you have done more miles than me (1500).

We havent worked out yet why it makes a knocking noise. Which part of the mount is doing the knocking and why is it that something seemingly pointless like moving the mount slightly cures the problem?

I just cramed in some rubber from an old exaust mount, whos your daddy!, the knocking noise has gone totally. Faz182 has hit the nail on the head there!

Ford Fiesta

yeah but is doing that going to restrict movement and cause other probs, weakening joints etc?

Toypop yeah Ive done 7600 miles, but clearly the gap is large on either side if you look at my pic above.

Yaris Hybrid

I would imagine that padding his out wont cause a problem as the rubber blocks are designed to compress and allow movement. If I only have a 1mm gap on one side then I guess it isnt designed to move that much. I would bet that I had no gap at all when the car was new and not knocking...

How much does it move when someone rocks the engine for you?

Ford Fiesta

a thought.. maybe the black surround expands with more miles as it gets banged more? so in theory people with more miles will have bigger gaps. But surely it will suddently stop one day if thats the case as it cant touch LARGE gaps, it wont move that much.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 15 December 2004

a thought.. maybe the black surround expands with more miles as it gets banged more? so in theory people with more miles will have bigger gaps. But surely it will suddently stop one day if thats the case as it cant touch LARGE gaps, it wont move that much.
A possibility. Of course if it gets so big that it no longer touches then the excess movement this allows would cause more damage than packing it out and restricting movement...

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah I am betting on the rubber bungs compressing. Think I will try and shift the mount compressing one of them, then stick some rubber in the gap I create on the other side.

golf r32 dsg

one of the rubbers was touching the plastic, the other side had a gap so i just loosend the 4 bolts on the engine mount moved it till it was central then tightend it up.

mine has been annoying me for ages when into renault and they just chenged the mounts but since it has been in again but for a new engine as the cam belt snapped and made a mess it is now fixed so if can t find the problem just get a new engine. it fixed mine

Ive had 3 of these mounts and it all started with exactly the same symptoms as others on here - had a mount fitted again last month and it is clearly different to the original - there is NO GAP between the rubber blocks and the black cup that surrounds the mount and the knocking has gone. Hurrah !

Is this a new part - Reno guy I spoke to few months back when it was in for same problem said there was a fix on the way.

Black 182 + Recaros

Worked for me too. Loosened the 4 bolts, centred everything up, and tightened the bolts. No more knocking. Bloody brilliant.

As soon as Renault have an official fix Im still gonna take it in to get the new mounts.

I owe you a pint Faz182. Thanks mate.

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT

I also had the knocking noise. Took my Car into Renault and they changed the top engine mount rubber. No more knocking!!!! Thank God!!

They ordered a new part and said that the original rubber mounting was not quite the right fit. All replaced under warranty. No cost, no probs.

Why didnt Renault fit the right piece in the first place!!!!! It would save all the hassle and the potential bad reputation of cheesed off customers.

i think most renault customers know there sh*te, to be honest if they didnt do a 172 or 182 sport (or poss v6 or meggy 225) i wouldnt touch renault with a barge pole

Black 182 + Recaros

Yeah, why did it take Renault so long to sort this problem out. Its been going on since the 172 MK2 was first released.

Surely it will cost more to fix everyones car than to have fixed the problem on the production line.

Do you realise how much more happier I am with my car now that the noise has gone! Thats the best mod Ive done! It was deffo 100% the top mount

Mine goes in on the 23 to renault aylesford near maidstone... they have ordered a new modified engine mount for it!! Ill try n do a b4 and after pic!!

172beast

Hmmmm, think Im gonna have a bash at this tomorrow, got a big tub of copper grease Ill smear around an all

Yaris Hybrid

Yours doesnt knock? Good well in that case get your ass out to the garage and take a photo so we can see what the mount should look like!

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 17 December 2004

Yours doesnt knock? Good well in that case get your ass out to the garage and take a photo so we can see what the mount should look like!
no mine doesnt knock, tell me when it does it, if you want pictures ill take some

172beast

Itll knock soon enough, think it does get worse with age, Ill have done 20k by the end of this year in mine, got it in March, does it a lot worst now. You know, most folk moan about all the problems with Renaults, tbh, mine gives me summit to do at the weekend!! Like doing bits and bobs to keep it tip top, this weekend will involve investing a banging exhaust, fitting a new damper and attempting to sort this top mount.

172beast

Youll know when yours does it!! Boot it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd through the gears, knocks when it grips and continues to knock throughout all 3 gears for me, bang bang bang bang then smaller less consistent knock in 3rd