ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 5k engine kick?

Ford Focus ST2
why does the 182 have a kick at 5k revs? i know its not w turbo so why is there a kick at 5k?

And can you change it so it kicks in at 4k?

Thanks
Rob

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Rob182 said:
why does the 182 have a kick at 5k revs? i know its not w turbo so why is there a kick at 5k?

And can you change it so it kicks in at 4k?

Thanks
Rob

vvt

aparantly its not the VVT..

think its when it comes 'on cam'

VTS/106 gtis have a 4.5k kick.. theyre not VVT.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
GuyS said:
aparantly its not the VVT..

think its when it comes 'on cam'

VTS/106 gtis have a 4.5k kick.. theyre not VVT.

VVT vary with make the of car, could be called something else?

It's all the same VTS/106's have two cams and only when its reved does the second cam come in.

Clio 04 172 Cup
The 2ltr Reno engines have variable valve timeing (It says in the manuel) otherwise known as vvt Toyota call it this and Honda call it vtech.
I do rather enjoy the kick. I know with the CTR's you can have a box so you can adjust it live. Thier was a listing on ebay that said you could control it but looked to simple to be true!

Lionel Richie
its the point at which the cams become most efficient, "harmonics" and all that fancy stuff BenR bangs on about

its just the design of the cam

with the schricks we use it has the "kick" at around 3500rpm, again, just the design of the cams

Clio 04 172 Cup
Notorious said:
coming on cam ffs it's a 16v engine

Well I dont know hence why I asked. I am a Dairy Engineer and know feck all about motors other than what I need to know like wherte the dip stick is!

Clio 04 172 Cup
FredYozzasport said:
its the point at which the cams become most efficient, "harmonics" and all that fancy stuff BenR bangs on about

with the schricks we use it has the "kick" at around 3500rpm, again, just the design of the cams

Cheers I feel informed yozza

Ziel Nurburgring
Ive got one of those adjusters, they're pukka. With the 20bhp increased chip and electric turbo all from the same oNline sTore, i reckon there is little out there to touch mine.

Not VVT as said.

MINI JCW
gazcaddy said:
Yeah VVT (Variable valve Timing),

I love the 5k kick!

I stand corrected, although I must point out when I asked the renault salesman about the 5k kick he informed me that it was because of VVT!!

They really dont know much about the cars!

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
So would some kind person please provide details of this 5K kick. I always thought is was the VVT but obviously not now.

Please bring Ben R onto the stage for his recount of this so called VVT. (Va Va Voom)

Oh and Fred, if the shrick cams you are on about "Come In" at 3500rpm. DO you get the same kick and does it pull as hard at that RPm as the normal 172/182. (god i'm a numpty)

Rob

Clio 04 172 Cup
FredYozzasport said:

This explains it some.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Also VVT and VTEC are different types of system iirc.

VTEC has pairs of cam lobes and at the set point it shifts from one to another, doesn't vvt use just a single lobe but alters the angle of something somewhere? (technical talk there!)

megane coupe F7R
So basically its just cam setup? The cams are set up to be most efficient at 5k and thats when you notice it pull harder. Valvers/willys are the same.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, my old 19 valver was similar, had to wait until 4.5k until it woke up.

Least with the Clio there is some grunt before it comes on cam, just you don't really notice it. Drove my folks MX5 the other night and that felt absolutely pathetic in comparison, veyr revvy but below 4-5k it felt as bad as my other halfs micra :)

But then that was just the perception of the speed as it's a little quicker than that :p

clio 200 F4Rt
just going back to the first page....

'It's all the same VTS/106's have two cams and only when its reved does the second cam come in.'

are you aware of how wrong that statement is? Like the 182 engine, it does have 2 cams, but one is inlet, one is exhaust. They both run at the same time, at the same speed. One doesnt start spinning at a certain rpm.

As for the clio 5k 'kick', its a hell of a kick for the car to be coming on cam!

Nimbus Clio 197
"As for the clio 5k 'kick', its a hell of a kick for the car to be coming on cam!"

sure is, but surely thats a good thing! the VVT is there to help emissions at low revs, nothing to do with the kick at 5k.

Elise/VX220/R26
cam profile shifts and alters the valve lift allowing more air/fuel to burn hence more power thats how I understand it, good system for pootling round getting good mpg if you drive below the 4.5krpm

FredYozzasport said:
Hi Fred,
If Clio 172 equipped Schrick Camshaft and right ecu map, even 172 without 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, can 172's power band kick in at 3500 rpm?

Lionel Richie
well our demo engine makes the same torque at 3500rpm as a std engine does at 5K (peaks at 170odd at aorund 5K)

to answer your question, yes along those lines

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
lol I'm loving this thread. Fred said on page 1 what it is, and still everybody is talking about what causes it and vvt.

PMSL!

VaVa
What happens is, crank pressure gets up to 1600mbar and opens the fluctrum valve. This valve opens and lets the magic liquid into the baffleator which in turn dephases the exhaust flux cam capacitor by 16 degrees.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the cams reaching max volumetric efficiency at 5k rpm.

Simple.