ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 6-Speed

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
how come the gearbox you sent me wasn't all shiney like that matt!?? i want ma £££ back! lol

MERCEDES CLS AMG
As i said - cut a section of the leg out and strengthen the surrounding area so the end casing of the PK6 will fit. Then just shorten the drive shaft. Its exactly the same problem i had when me and jordy did the conversion on mine. This is a crude pic but its very similar to what my leg looked like when i chopped it out and welded a new section in to allow the 6 speed to fit

DSC00023.jpg

I thought you were certified in all this fabricatino malarky Fred......people have been doing this for decades...........and if you did mig then you wouldnt be worried about failure.......you tiggy fairy.

I dont see offshore rigs tigged, or regulated roll cages, or spaceframes.

We havent seen any of your welding yet either!..........i say pics up or your never allowed to talk about welding every again on the forum! lol

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Why not just change the final drive ratios to give you what you want on the track ?

VW Golf TDI
hmm me and my mates did this on a corsa 2.0 we put a diesel box in to make 0-60 times quiker, but your top speed will be slower...

ha ha - what do you think i did ?....shave a couple o mil off the leg with some emery cloth ?

Do you think your slight shaving a few mm of the chassie leg and adding in some strenght had anyhting to do with th unusual handing? or affected it in any way.

M

mini-valver

Change the diff to get a longer ratio, be gash bottom end though!

Change the diff to get a longer ratio, be gash bottom end though!

You just want to change 5th idealy not increase all the gears.

Chnaging 5th along quite easy would have to look but I think the diesel 5th longer not sure for certainn so its a cheap swop.

M

mini-valver

See what you mean. Would bog down abit into 5th so i wouldnt of thought its worth it unless you do major motorway miles but in that case you should have a diesal!

See what you mean. Would bog down abit into 5th so i wouldnt of thought its worth it unless you do major motorway miles but in that case you should have a diesal!

Yep its not worth it unless you do mega miles.

But so long as you don't make it silly should be fine 3k at 8MPH should be fine instead of 4k. Chnage up would be a pain you'd have to get to 5k or so before change up in 4th.

D

dick

mmatt black n fred and ben R, and others... edde, tom etcc.

do you mind me asking what qualifications you have?
you seem to really know your s**t and i was just wandering what route you took to knowing this stuff and whether it was academicly or vocationally?

cheers

Lionel Richie
i did a national diploma in motorsport performance engineering (BTEC) at motorsport college http://www.nc4m.ac.uk/

i'm thinking about doing my degree, but it would be impossible to run YS and do a degree at the same time! LOL

i started playing with cars at 15, clios at 17 and am now 23

at college i was taught everything, welding, machining, composites, engines, boxes, chassis CAD etc etc. all my tutors are ex top motorsport level, my engine teacher for example was no1 mechanic at williams for mansell, senna and hill IIRC. my composites teacher was head of prodrive composites etc etc etc

and the equipment we had was amazing, how many colleges do you know with an autoclave!

Last edited:
  VaVa
Out of interest what do you need to sterilise stuff for in motoring?

That's what we use Autoclaves for at the brewery - We've got a dozen of the f**king things and they're always going wrong!!

Clio 182
My My, i leave you guys for a few days and you turn my thread into useless banter :p Shame on you all. And here i was trying to get useful technical info.

I asked the question about a 6-speed 182 cuz the 197 has a 6-speed. Given that i reasoned that the 197 uses the same F4R block as the 182 and therefore the same bellhousing pattern. If thats the case, then the 6-speed should bolt on to the 182 block. BenR said something interesting about the block being different. I know the crank is different but are you sure the block is different too?

Now here is whats interesting, the 197 6-speed carries code (TL4) and since Nissan and Renualt now share parts, the corresponding Nissan gearbox is the (MT1) which incidentally is on the 2005+ Nissan TIIDA which is very very common in my part of the world. Therefore, if some sense can be made by looking at all this and being able to use a 197 bellhousing and a Nissan MT1 gearbox, then hay!!! 6-speed it is.

Someone correct my logic please :p

For your reference http://www.csmauto.com/news/csminsights/4thQtr2006/?a=4

My My, i leave you guys for a few days and you turn my thread into useless banter :p Shame on you all. And here i was trying to get useful technical info.

I asked the question about a 6-speed 182 cuz the 197 has a 6-speed. Given that i reasoned that the 197 uses the same F4R block as the 182 and therefore the same bellhousing pattern. If thats the case, then the 6-speed should bolt on to the 182 block. BenR said something interesting about the block being different. I know the crank is different but are you sure the block is different too?

Now here is whats interesting, the 197 6-speed carries code (TL4) and since Nissan and Renualt now share parts, the corresponding Nissan gearbox is the (MT1) which incidentally is on the 2005+ Nissan TIIDA which is very very common in my part of the world. Therefore, if some sense can be made by looking at all this and being able to use a 197 bellhousing and a Nissan MT1 gearbox, then hay!!! 6-speed it is.

Someone correct my logic please :p

For your reference http://www.csmauto.com/news/csminsights/4thQtr2006/?a=4

The Crank is essentially the same, as are the internals, they changed the block to the turbo block so they could run the different gearbox without any development time or cost.

The gearbox is also hydraulic as stated and uses a different mounting system, and the chassis will require modification, along with different drive shafts that currently would lead you down the path of custom made items. Also i'm not sure of the flywheel offset figures between the 2.

mmatt black n fred and ben R, and others... edde, tom etcc.

do you mind me asking what qualifications you have?
you seem to really know your s**t and i was just wandering what route you took to knowing this stuff and whether it was academicly or vocationally?

cheers

Zero qualifications, i'm just a wiseass.

Clio 182
Many thanks on the response BenR... quality technical posts are what makes this forum great.

Still have to find a solution for the use-once-per-track-day syncros