ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 at 18

do you think that driving an 182 at 18 is wrong?is it simply too much for a begginer??? should i be worried?

(please do not mention the insurance,because i dont live in the uk and i have no problem with it)

to be honest at 18, unless you drive sensibly, you would probably end up crashing it, a fast car and lack of experience - its more than likely you would ruin it.

VaVa

Its very much a personal thing. When I was 18, I would have killed myself (your not as good as you think you are sonny!;)) in a 182. A friend of mine, albeit back in the days when insurance wasnt quite so scandalous, had a modded RS Turbo when he was 18. I m glad to report hes still alive, and suffered no ill effects!!

i think its the wrong car to start with. Maybe get somethin like a 1.4 16v. Theyre still very nippy and are much more appropriate for a new driver.

[Edited by fUbAr cos he cant spell :oops: on 08 June 2004 at 12:15am]

I would say go for it if you can afford it be accept you need to learn how to drive a car which is that quick and not to be put under pear pressure to race.

Learn to drive it on the track with an instructor and accept that you are unikly to be of suitable experiance to handle the car to its full for a long time.

go for it, you only live once, but you mite not live for long! lol get a nice little 1.2/1.4 for a year to get some driving expericnce! will make the 182 feel so much better!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Go for it !!

If they were around when i was 18 i would of loved one.

The car only goes where you want it to and as fast as you make it.Go too fast and it will go where you dont want it to go.

In other words just be sensible until you know and get used to it.

If you are 18 and have a chance of one then go for it.

Its going to be a fanny magnet at that age :p:eek::D

id say get it, but like dan says, if you get a 1.2/1.4 for a bit then get ur hands on a 182 ull love it even more.

if i had the chance to have one now, id have it!

Is it your first car?

To be honest I had my valver at 18 (just before I turned 19) and if Id got it say 6months earlier I really do think I would have probably wrote it off or summit.

If insurance and obviously buying the car isnt an issue, why not get a 1.6 16v or similar and trade it in for a 182 next year.

the thing is that i cant afford to change the car within the next 3 years or so... and im afraid that ill get bored in a 2 years time in a 1.4 or 1.6... i hope it will be a fanny magnet (y)

Im 19 and got a 182 on order, but this will be my second car. First car was Peugeot 106 1.4.

If you are planning on having a 182 as a first car, that probably isnt a good idea - better to get some experience and work your way up.

IMO its a really bad idea.. things is cars have come such a long way that even a super mini like the clio 182 is quite and comfortable @ 70mph - 80mph you just dont realise how fast you are going in that thing its the same in the 172 of course. you can easilty push an average speed of 60mph everywhere and not realise just how fast that is to everyone else whos walking. also i had never been chased by boy racers or Business Racers in my rover 214sli as soon as i got the 172 (iceslivers with those blue xenons looks like a toyracer) i had around 5 people try on the first day i got it. and have had many since, some i have risen to and some not.. but its very tempting to do.

Quote: Originally posted by ClioDan on 08 June 2004

go for it, you only live once, but you mite not live for long! lol get a nice little 1.2/1.4 for a year to get some driving expericnce! will make the 182 feel so much better!
yes dans right, u only live once so why not make the most of it and get a 1.4 16v rather than kicking the can or biting the bullet before your day, "no man can die properly without experience."

ps i would hehe

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

you always crash the first car - fact

that means you will crash the 182 - painful thought.

but id lyin if i said i wouldnt get one if i had the choice....

i drove a scenic rx 4... but not more than 500 km... im asking the same question because i feel guilty... my conscience tells me that the 182 is not a car for a begginer,but i know that i wont have the opportunity of owning one in the next few years.... tuff choice...:(

Dont feel guilty about being able to have a 182! If you can afford the car and the insurance - do it!

but as people have said before - youve got to be careful!!

Carl

I had a CBR600 at 18 and lived to tell the tale. That would do a standing quarter in around 11 secs.

If you can afford it then buy one. Unless your hitting 5000 rpm+ then it will drive just as easy as any clio but with the bonus of massive grip in corners and good brakes.

Theres a lot of excitement about the clios being fast but to be honest they arent that fast. 60 in around 7 seconds if youre good with the gear change, ABS, ESP ..... you have to be stupid to crash.

Try driving a 1340cc mini at speed with drum brakes that need adjusting every 200 miles, heaters that dont demist the windscreen and rather dodgy components.

Just remember to slow down for corners and give other cars some room; youll be fine. Drive like a mailto:tw@t">tw@t in any car youll die a 182 is no different.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

got a couple of examples ...

friend bought a 205 1.9 gti .. smashed it up same day he got it and didnt make it home (smashed it up on the way back from picking it up).. bad crash and was in hospital.

friend bought a subaru last year .. smashed it up second day ..write off and he wasnt hurt.

The brakes are excellent on 182 BUT you get easily carried away. Think hard before buying one if you have only been drivin a while!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I had my valver when i hadnt been driving a year and havent crashed it. **Runs to touch wood**

But then again my mate who is 20 rights off everycar he gets over a 1.4! Think hes claimed 4 cars now!

Its all down to the driver IMO - Drive like a tw*t and your gunna crash!

A 182 does seem a stupidly quick car for your first ride though!

Logic says get a cruddy 1.2 anything for 6 months and get to grips with handling the car to its limits (not very high) maybe a bit of heel n toe and left foot braking and then get the 182. Forget that ! Just get it, but dont lift off on a corner at speed.

FAIR f**kIN PLAY! bollox to any one who ses other wise! u can afford it! then do it!

it will only kill u once!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

what if you kill someone else!

my mate with the 205 ended up in someones garden! If someone would have been on the path they would have been good as dead!

I had a GTE 16v when i was 19, Thinking back i cant believe the crazy sh*t i got up to and how im still in one piece. COUNTLESS near misses (abs saved me numerous times!).

[Edited by mauricewt on 09 June 2004 at 5:50pm]

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

tbh the speed of a 1.4 can kill u quite easily

i mean i can do 122 on the flat in mine, and bcoz its a 16v engine it just keeps accelerating strongly for such a little engine.

so wot im saying is, go for the 182 if u have the money bcoz the brakes will b better!!!!

big red bus

Quote: Originally posted by mr sheep on 08 June 2004

not true. my bro hasnt crashed any of his cars, hes on his 2nd car, and no crash :-D

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Type_Mo on 09 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by mr sheep on 08 June 2004

not true. my bro hasnt crashed any of his cars, hes on his 2nd car, and no crash :-D
i crashed my 1st car. totally put things into perspective, even though i was traveling at about 5mph and the other car only hit me at about 20.

but ive not had any sort of accident since i had that right foot transplant with micheal schumaccher(sp)!

-oh, except for knocking my wingmirror off a few weeks ago, but that was the womans fault for being in the middle of the lane... shuwey doesnt have that problem!

Ok buy one, BUT FIRST.

Go out and buy a Sh**ter (yes that is the technical term)
Crash it. Once you know what crashing feels like then youll be ready for a 182.

I got my 172 when i was 20 and its power is well within what i can handle, but then I have had 7 cars before it and smashed a fair few of them up.

Its all about knowing WHEN to use the power and WHEN NOT to use it!!

Depends if youre a good driver or not. (Not just think you are!!!!!) If you get one and crash it very quickly then theres no point at all, get a poo car and get some experience first.

If you genuinely are a brilliiant, aware, natural driver then do it - why not.

Without sounding condescending and old :oops:, awareness and interest in driving is the key to not crashing. Think about what youre doing at all times and I mean really think, and youll be fine - hopefully. ;)

Oh and.....you lucky lucky b*****d. ;)

:D yes, i am a lucky b*****d indeed...;) i buy this car in leasing(i dont know if this word exists in english) and it has the full insurance included in rates ;) and if i crush the car i dont pay a dime...

182, GTR, C63

Im 18 and i have a cup. Depends how much self control you have and how much expirience you have with cars. I passed at 17 and had a corsa 1.4 for a year. I had lots of fun and learnt a lot from it and got most of my stupidity out back then eg. undertaking. Im much clamer with the cup (fear of loosing my license) but ive had a lot of driving expirience for my age. Ive been driving a van in the daytime a fair bit and have been messing about in courtesy cars and hire cars since i was 12. Im no way the most sensible driver on here but for my age im very good. I agree with anyone who says its a stupid idea at 18 because a lot of my mates have nearly died in 1.2s ect so if you think you can handle it its up to you. The whole point of having cars such as the 182/172 are to thrash the hell out of them though and no one on here can say they treat there cars or redlines with respect when the right conditions apear. Take it steady mate oh and sorry for the essay everyone.

go for it mate just be carefull getting used to the power. Im gonna have similar power and loads less weight and im only 19. Its all about how experienced a driver you are. For example ive been to numerous track days and had a lot of driving experience for a 19 yr old. All depends on your situation. If youve just passd ur test at 18 i really wouldnt advise it.

Street Triple R

I Had my Evo at 19 and i didnt crash it or even get caught speeding in it! but if it would of been my first car then i probably would of crashed it

i did have alot of race experience though and if you have had previous experience of high perfomance cars then you should be fine

[Edited by jongsr4 on 11 June 2004 at 5:28pm]

go 4 it get it do it, dont worry what others say walk your arss down to reno and buy it now. 2.0 will get u in and Out of trouble far better then a 1.2 where the power is just not there when u really need it.

just dont crash it lol. plus the clio is small so its all good

go buy