ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cam pulley seals

Renault Scenic 182
Hi im just finnishing rebuilding my Scenics 182 Engine and have just hit a snag, i fitted new cam seals to both inlet and exhaust cams out of a full Renault gasket set

i have now come to fit the pulleys and timing belt and noticed theres an old seal on the back of the dephaser so i searched in the gasket set and found an identical one and replaced that, then stopped and thought for a sec, surely i only need One seal?

should it be on the back of the pulley like the old one i found OR

In the end of the Rocker cover? and i assume after using the search that they should be fitted flash with end of rcoker cover and not pushed back upto what i thought was the 'stops' ??

Ps i went Renault for the Cam pulley holding tools so i can Torque them back up after fitting them BUT they dont have one in stock (and apprently dont even have, nor use one in the workshop) and cant get me one before new year, i desperately need to get the engine built up and in this week so has anyone made one of the tools or have detailed pics etc of one that i can reference from to make one Please.

Thankyou for any help :D

Wayne

ITB'd MK1
right, pretty common for this to get messed up

The inlet cam needs a different seal fitted. Bacically it doesn't seal on the cam, it seals on the dephaser pulley. if you've fitted 2 of the same type of seal, then you need to remove the one on the inlet cam, and fit the thin brown one which will leave a gap until you push the dephaser pulley on.

ITB'd MK1
oh, and Renault not having a locking tool in their workshop isn't a first. Wests in Bedford told me the same when i ordered my locking tools

Renault Scenic 182
Cheers Danny :D

any idea on the cam pullies locking or any tips? i dont want to do the bodge some have said and use the lock tools and hope they dont break, seems stupid to me.

wayne

Renault Scenic 182
He honestly checked and i even asked one of the techs who was walking though the carpark and he is one of the ones who said to just use the "pin and bar, thats all you need, we dont have anything else ourselves and we do it day in, day out" ...

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Parts know nothing about special tool and the techs dont know how to use the pulleys tools.
also we get people round checking we have the correct tools and know how to use them

Renault Scenic 182
In defence of my parts man, he found the tool straight away on screen for me, and i didnt have the part number, so i wouldnt put him at fault, the technicians on the other hand.....

Well to put it simply, theyre the reason Danny, Fred and others have become so popular and used on here, much like Peugeot Technicians, like the one who insisted my 206 GTi 180 3 years ago when in "DID NOT have switchable Traction Controll, you are confused sir"... cue showing him the big f**king sqare button by the steering wheel...

wayne