ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 clicking but not starting/turning over..

Clio 182
Any ideas what I should be looking for as a problem?
Going to call breakdown shortly but just wanted some likely ideas in advance (previous breakdown co didn't know what they were doing when I broke down with alternator failure so the more I can suggest/know the better...).

Car is 10.5 years old, had new battery/alternator 2 years ago.
Been working fine though hadn't used it in a week, not even slowly turning over, just totally dead, just clicking and then struggled to alarm/lock itself after.

Ta :smile:

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Going to call breakdown shortly but just wanted some likely ideas in advance (previous breakdown co didn't know what they were doing when I broke down with alternator failure so the more I can suggest/know the better...).

Been working fine though hadn't used it in a week, not even slowly turning over, just totally dead, just clicking and then struggled to alarm/lock itself after.

Sounds like a battery or dodgy earth if being slow with electrics too.

PH2 172

If it starts with jump leads,then someone sold you a low quality battery in all likelyhood.If the alternator light glows all the time,the diode pack on the alternator has failed,discharging the battery to ground.
The clicking is just the starter solonoid engaging/disengaging under load.

Clio 182
Thanks all, had to buy a new battery off them, bit expensive but not much choice in the circumstances.
Said it was a bad cell in the battery, was reading 10 volts (would that mean the battery was definitely duff or could that still be a symptom of something else having failed??). Car had immobilised itself too so had to wait for it to charge up to even get it to jump start, which took a while.

New battery in now and just went to fill up with petrol but alarm still isn't happy - it was doing a long extended beep when I got out at the petrol station..