ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cruise control slightly out

Hi all,

this is my first post, so hello to you all.

I have a niggle with my 182 and wanted to know if it is normal and if I could change it.

Its my cruise control. I always ahve to set it slightly slower than the speed I want to go at, it doesnt match up perfectly with my speedo. If I set it to 28mph, then the speedo will indicate 30mph. 37mph on cruise control will equal 40mph.

You get the picture. Is this normal? Is there anyway I can adjust it so that the cruise control speed matches the speedo speed and both are correct?

Cheers

Ste

[Edited by Ste_ on 08 July 2004 at 7:05pm]

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Ste

Its the speedo thats out.The cruise control is probably spot on.

If i set my cruise control to 30 mph my speedo reads higher,go with the cruise control speed when you set it.

dk

911 GTS Cab

the cruise control is more accurate and the speedo is slightly out, nothing to worry about and you cant change it i dont think

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 08 July 2004

Ste

Its the speedo thats out.The cruise control is probably spot on.

If i set my cruise control to 30 mph my speedo reads higher,go with the cruise control speed when you set it.
doh, you beat me to it!

Elise/VX220/R26

probably allowing a margin of error so renno dont get sued by loads of people with speeding fines. We know 172 speedos are about bang on (proven on here by GPS ages ago) Cruise control will read speed from the speedo so they will have the same inacuracies if there are any

Quote: Originally posted by Ste_ on 08 July 2004
Thanks all.Also, how do I add an avatar?

Hi Ste - I think you have to be a paid Cliosport Member to be able to use the avatar feature.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 08 July 2004

probably allowing a margin of error so renno dont get sued by loads of people with speeding fines. We know 172 speedos are about bang on (proven on here by GPS ages ago) Cruise control will read speed from the speedo so they will have the same inacuracies if there are any
How does this work ?

Surely if the speedo gives a higher reading and that has been proven (One of the mags during a test recently) to be reading faster than the car is moving then that suggests to me that the lower cruise control reading is not giving the same innacuricies and is probably giving a more accurate reading.

All speedos are allwoed to be set upto 3mph above the correct speed from the factory. Thats why when you set your cruis controll you think you are going quicker than you are.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

So the speedo is wrong but the cruise control is telling porkies rather than matching what the speedo says...

That makes sense :confused:

This is done on purpose i suppose...lets get the cruise control to give a slower reading than the speedo but infact its the same speed....dont get it im afraid.

Black 182 + Recaros

I didnt know cruise control was an option on 172s. When was this introduced ? I thought it was only on 182s.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Ok...another way of putting it lol

Speedo reads 63 mph and its been tested and proven to be only doing actually 60 mph (One of the mags found this out doing a 0-60 sprint)

When my cars speedo says 63 mph my cruise control reads 60mph which is what has been claimed to be the difference....60 mph = 63 on the speedo.

Therefore my cars cruise control reading of 60 mph is right and the speedo reading of 63mph is wrong.

So they are not the same,speedo is out cruise control is spot on.

Lee

BMW M2C

I noticed the other day when on the motorway that the speed the cruise is set to is pretty much dead on the speed which the GPS speedo on my b2 is showing.

I agree with funkyjahooner. The speedo is out by a few mph but this increases at speeds in excess of 100mph, but the cruise is pretty much spot on.

Most speedos show a little more than the car is doing.

skoda and audi

Its the same with my road angel when im doin 40 mph my speedo reads about 42 its the same all along the speedo range.

This is interesting!

Owing to my recent speeding acivity I am trying to use cruise control to accurately guage my speed. Im sure some will dissaprove but for example I set my cc to 79 on the motorway on the assumption that 10%+2 should be fine. In this example my speedo displays 83(ish) and I must admit I assumed the cc speed was spot on.

Lee/MC, does the cc speed ever report higher than the actual speed (based on b2)? (i.e. should I really be setting 78 to be "safe"?)

Craig

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5 Audi TT

I set my cruise to 80 and my Road Angel reads 78 and the speedo reads 82ish.