ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup - Best Track Suspension - any rubbing?

This has probably been discussed in some way or another but so much to search through - I know H&R and AST float around as the best.

I currently have Raceland coilover's which I got because at the time I didn't have much to spend and after having the cage fitted etc and no more rear seats the back was slightly higher than the front. I got this and had it lowered 20mm lower than the standard cup suspension. This was fine to start with but soon found on hardish cornering on tight bends/roundabouts it would rub quite a bit. Raised it 5 mm and solved the problem apart from the odd rubbing on hard cornering. Couple of weeks after I went to the Nurburgring and it rubbed a lot not surprisingly. I raised it to the same height that the standard cup suspension was and it wasn't too bad but on some of the corners with various cambers it would still rub and I never really got to push it as I could with the standard cup suspension. As soon as the tyres were getting to the stage of gripping hard and getting to the stage where they would start to slide it would rub. Because of this I haven't taken it on a track day since.

I have 16" Turini Wheels (KTEC ones not ones off a Trophy) with R888 Tyres so wondering a couple of things:
1) Because of the extra grip of the r888 would the suspension be under more pressure so compress more?
2) Because the offset is slightly different on the KTEC Turinis would this mean it's closer to the wheel arch?
3) It's the suspension? - not really designed for track use?
4) A mixture of all?

Unfortunately I never went on track with the new wheels/tyres and the standard cup suspension so don't know whether they would have ever rubbed when pushing hard but presume someone on here probably has Turini's with standard cup suspension and done track days with that so can tell me.

I suspect it is the suspension as it's only a cheap kit but before I fork out the cash to get H&R or AST I just want some reassurance that someone has used these kits and been used on a car that has been driven hard on track.

Thanks

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's s**t suspension. Bottom of the barrel crap. If track work will be a regular thing for you, you'd be far better off with standard suspension and a whiteline ARB. Spend the rest on tuition. Oh, and get 15's.

My ASTs rubbed in the front arches too in hard cornering, I ended up (or Dave did to be precise) angle grinding the piece of metal in the arch where it was rubbing - not a problem now.

That said, mine are 15" alloys so are a tad smaller.

Ok thanks. Yup angle grinded bit of the metal in the arch already and still a problem with this suspension. I'll maybe have to look into trying to get 15's to then.

My ASTs rubbed in the front arches too in hard cornering, I ended up (or Dave did to be precise) angle grinding the piece of metal in the arch where it was rubbing - not a problem now.

That said, mine are 15" alloys so are a tad smaller.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
lol 888s are going from essential track material to ultimate hate material ;)
Is weird, but a lot of people are ditching them on here. Gets to a point where you're going quick, but the cars not moving around and it's just not that fun. Then you seem some fucker like Burns hanging the arse out at every opportunity, and realise what's missing.

Wanna go fast, don't buy a clio. 888's kind seem pointless to me.

Lotus Elise
Is weird, but a lot of people are ditching them on here. Gets to a point where you're going quick, but the cars not moving around and it's just not that fun. Then you seem some f**ker like Burns hanging the arse out at every opportunity, and realise what's missing.

People just need to man up and find the limit of grip on the toyo and get it dancing at higher speeds!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
lol if you know how to drive you still run out of grip with r888 you're just going faster ;)
No. You're flogging your car, adding wear to brakes, coilovers, bearings etc. For no more fun. And fun, is what track days are about imo.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
People just need to man up and find the limit of grip on the toyo and get it dancing at higher speeds!
That's my point. Just because you're going faster, doesn't make it more fun.

And piss off, you'd run rings round anyone that posts in here! We're not all racing drivers young May!

I'd say it does add more fun the higher the speed and the quicker you can be... but anyway each to their own!

Although I do agree most people who have R888 probably wouldn't know the limit on standard road tyres let alone R888 but just upgraded so they can go faster without learning how to drive properly so that would rule out the "fun".

No. You're flogging your car, adding wear to brakes, coilovers, bearings etc. For no more fun. And fun, is what track days are about imo.

Renault Clio 182
It's s**t suspension. Bottom of the barrel crap. If track work will be a regular thing for you, you'd be far better off with standard suspension and a whiteline ARB. Spend the rest on tuition. Oh, and get 15's.

What is this? I have standard 182 (cup packed) suspension and want to do track days.

b/g 182, meg tourer
'the best' for track?

or

'what will be more than enough to be fun' on track? if so... standard setup tbh. spend a bit of money on decent pads instead.

I have AP Racing kit - 4 pot calipers and DS2500 pads. It's a weekend and track day car... well was till fitted this suspension and with non adjustable suspension rear is too high as nothing in it. So I'd like something to adjust to even that out and also be good with no rub.

'the best' for track?

or

'what will be more than enough to be fun' on track? if so... standard setup tbh. spend a bit of money on decent pads instead.