ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup or 182

Im currently having a hard time deciding what Clio to get. Realistically I want to spend a maximum of £10k. In most parts of the country this would appear to get me a 182 with both cup packs (Im after Racing Blue with Competition Stripes) and up to around 15k miles, especially if discussions here and the for sale section are anything to go by.

However, locally (West Wiltshire) Id be lucky to get a 182 Cup with similar spec for that money (and no chance from a dealer, my local Renault franchise sells 172s with 25k+ on the clock for the sort of money Im spending, 182s are £13-£14k second hand), prices for most cars seem to be up to £1k more here, my mrs had the same problem getting a ZR last year. I am willing to travel for the right car but I guess that would only be for a ClioSport members car, cant be doing with travelling hundreds of miles to view cars that may not be right.

Anyways, I do about 12k a year and would be driving to work every day in it. Currently have a 1.2 Dynamique but the extras such as auto wipers and lights are of no interest to me as I make no use of them currently. What would I really be missing out on if I got a Cup instead of a 182? The Renault site is very hard to follow in that respect.

Mini Cooper S sport

I think the two biggest differences (ie most noticeable) are the non-leather interior on the Cup, and no xenons, therefore no headlamp washers. If that doesnt bother you, go for the cup! I think it does have air-con, but its manual.

I think all of the Cup owners on here would say the interior doesnt bother them and they bought the car for the performance.

Not worried about the half-leather as Im really not a fan of leather, or the climate and cruise control for that matter, rarely do any motorway driving.

Am I right in thinking the Cup is without Xenons and light washers? I cant think of anything else.

I was thinking the same thing, according to the Renault website a 182 is £14,700 on the road and a 182 cup is £13,800. But then if you want the cup packs you have to spend a furthor £395 or something like that. So why dont people buy the cup for less and with the cup packs? I may be totally wrong but thats according to Reanultsport.

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by ukaskew on 16 April 2005

Am I right in thinking the Cup is without Xenons and light washers? I cant think of anything else.
Yes - I did say that above ;)

The only thing I would say is that 182s with all the toys may be easier to sell a few years down the line..

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by STEAMY WINDOWS on 16 April 2005

i think someone got out the wrong side of the bed this morning^^get a 182 with cup packs
Shoosh you :p

If he wants to spend less money and still get a brand new 182, the Cup might be the car for him though?

I think the Cup is for me then. My mrs has half-leather and Im really not a fan so that doesnt bother me in the slightest. Ive never had proper air-con before (just manual, as it appears the Cup has) so I wouldnt miss anything there. Climate control is a non-issue as virtually all my driving is on twisty B roads and country lanes.

Only remotely interesting thing to me is Xenons, but for the sake of at over a grand I think I can more than happily live without them. I was just worried I was missing something real big that would make me want a 182 over a Cup, but it appears not.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 16 April 2005

If he wants to spend less money and still get a brand new 182, the Cup might be the car for him though?

I wasnt talking about brand new, although it may have sounded that way when I said my local Renault dealership sells 182s for nearly £14k...but that was second-hand!

Mini Cooper S sport

I wasnt talking about brand new, although it may have sounded that way when I said my local Renault dealership sells 182s for nearly £14k...but that was second-hand!
14 grand SECOND HAND!??? I wouldnt pay that for a new one. Have a look in the For Sale section here - theres one for £9.7k!

Its worth going much further afield to save over 4 grand...or why not try one of the internet dealerships and get a pre-reg/import?

182cup

the 182 cup does have cruise controll, yes it has less things to go wrong ie: xenons light washers climate etc. the interior is not as bad as people make out exactly the same comfy seats minus leather. one touch drivers window and light in boot which renault say they dont have but they do and ignore all the get a real one idiots on here and it goes like f*ck

insignia

I think the Cup is for me then. My mrs has half-leather and Im really not a fan so that doesnt bother me in the slightest. Ive never had proper air-con before (just manual, as it appears the Cup has) so I wouldnt miss anything there. Climate control is a non-issue as virtually all my driving is on twisty B roads and country lanes.

Only remotely interesting thing to me is Xenons, but for the sake of at over a grand I think I can more than happily live without them. I was just worried I was missing something real big that would make me want a 182 over a Cup, but it appears not.

Thanks for the advice.

whats climate control got to do with driving on country lanes???

Quote: Originally posted by ste_brough on 16 April 2005

Youd miss out Half leather seats, climate control and cruise control to name a few .....
the 182 cup does have cruise control. well at least mine does anyway !! (hope this is normal) also it has air conditioning just the same just without the fancy looking dials.

I meant Cruise Control is a non-issue, not Climate Control!

Anyways, I made a conscious effort to remember every function of my Clio I actually used today over 80 or so miles (it has pretty much everything), of the non-essential controls all I used was the CD control stalk.

I find the auto-lights useless as its usually too dark before they come on, and then if they do you then cant flash your lights easily if required (Ive full beemed people for a few seconds when forgeting this before!) I also dont understand the auto-wipers, the sensitivity control appears to do next to nothing and it rarely kicks in before its needed. I liked all the toys when I first bought my Clio but I quickly found that they were fairly useless and realised all I would of actually liked was a small bin somewhere! All Im interested in is handling, even in my 1.2 Ive had a blast around the twisties.

I will take a look at internet prices but I certainly dont feel the need to get anything more than a Cup now, especially when the price difference will be enough to cover insurance for a year as well.

The only thing you might miss is the better seat trim/door cards from the full fat 182 - maybe full climate if youre lazy. The rest is nice if you have it, but less to go wrong if you dont. Both cars are fast as f**k, so get whichever you can find cheapest and rag the f**k out of it :D

Quote: Originally posted by mark.cup on 16 April 2005

the 182 cup does have cruise controll, yes it has less things to go wrong ie: xenons light washers climate etc. the interior is not as bad as people make out exactly the same comfy seats minus leather. one touch drivers window and light in boot which renault say they dont have but they do and ignore all the get a real one idiots on here and it goes like f*ck
less to go wrong??? why dont you buy a push bike even less goes wrong on them.test drive them both and see what you fancy

182cup

Do a search floodie most of the extras are extras that go wrong ie leaking headlamp washers bumper of job with the monkeys:cry: and theres nothing wrong with racing blue. As ive said before both cars are sh*t hot but i dont feel the need to say 182 full fats are sh*te every time one is mentioned some dont want the extras some do and compared to a ctr 182 cups have a very good spec infact compared to most cars apart from 182 full fat they do ok

renault clio 182 cup

182 cup every time,less to worry about going wrong and alot cheaper.drove 200 miles this morning for something to do and loved every second of it .WHAT A CAR.:D :D :D

picture was taken from different angles , giving the impression of different sizes, they are both the same size in real life

i know what your saying but i dont buy something cos they is less to go wrong.i just think for a little bit more you get a much better deal cos the cup is hardly any faster.i made the mistake of getting my last car and not picking the right extras and you think sh*t i wish i had that thats why this time round a got the full lot.im not saying cups are sh*t so keep your wig on ;)

182cup

sh*te comment was aimed at the snobs in general not you and if only i had enough hair to keep my wig on :oops: do 182 full fats come with a free push bike still, good extra for when its back with the monkeys from reno:devilish:

yep the push bikes are made of solid stone i heard that the 182 cup bikes are made of carbon and that they took the seat away to make it lighter ;) calm down calm down

182cup

all good banter hope none of us need to many trips to he dealer how long have you had youre 182 STEAMY and how problematic has it been must admit coming on here and reading all the problems doesnt fill me with confidence

dk

911 GTS Cab

whats all this nonsense about less to go wrong???

the problems people have had have had nothing to do with any of the extras that come on the 182 full trim expensive better value version.

Its all been stuff that both cars have, so go with which one has the trim you want as they are both the same speed and handle the same.

you may say you havent got these things at the moment so you wont miss them but you will also never know what you are missing out on if you dont.

ive had mine 4month and done 4500miles only thing i can find fault with is the driver side mirror whistles a bit.The big fault is the driving position is a lot worse then i thought it needs sorting out but thats the same with all of em.its been a lot more reliable then other cars i know of bmw mini etc..

182cup

STEAMY i am getting fed up with my mirror also i keep meaning to put some clear silicone sealer on it im sure this would stop it because if you drive with the window open and put a finger over the the gap the wind whistles through it stops and the driving position doesnt bother me to much as im fairly short its only when i drive something else i notice but you dont find seats as comfy as the 182 has including the audi&bmw i drive sometimes