ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 engine rebuild - some advices

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hi everyone!
In a couple of days I'll get the car to a mechanic and will help him rebuilding my engine.
So to make things simpler I'd like to write down the essential torque settings and pattern like main crank bearings, con rods, head bolts, pulley bolts, sump, flywheel etc.
So please feel free to shout them out if some of you know them or let me know where I can find these. There are some posts here with the repair manual but they're old and the links expired.
I also want to paint some engine components (why not? 😊) and I'm not sure what paint I should use. Foliatec caliper paint? Or is the good old hammerite working? I want the block in black, and the engine mount, intake plenum, cam cover and fuel rail guard painted in a lively colour.
And what is the best solution to clean that horrid carbon build up on valves, pistons/head?
I just wanna be as prepared as possible and finish the job in a decent time so shopping and getting useful info in advance will certainly help!
Thanks! 👍

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Also, any alternative to engine assembly lube? can't fine anything in stock these days so will have to improvise!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Any high temp paint should be fine.
Vapour blasting will clean up the parts to a factory finish.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Ok so it looks like it will go closer to 2k to rebuild the engine. One thing I'm curious about is the crankshaft tolerances. The guys that will do the build say that on most engines they did so far required a new crank. Are they that bad over time? Isn't there a way of rectifying a crank?
New crank would raise the cost big time, you can buy a new car for 2,5k wth!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so it looks like it will go closer to 2k to rebuild the engine. One thing I'm curious about is the crankshaft tolerances. The guys that will do the build say that on most engines they did so far required a new crank. Are they that bad over time? Isn't there a way of rectifying a crank?
New crank would raise the cost big time, you can buy a new car for 2,5k wth!

Engine rebuilds are expensive. And in reality you don’t know what the cost is until you take it apart and inspect / measure everything. The crank might be fine with just a polish. It might need a regrind and some “undersized” bearings.

What I would want to be absolutely sure of is that the people doing the work know exactly what they are doing. If they are saying “new crank” but mean regrind then fine. Rarely will a brand new crank be required and if it was it would still need to be measured and inspected before fitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk