ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 EXHAUST FITTING...

Ive just ordered a new exhaust for the 182, its a janspeed sport from ktec, anyway,
was thinking about fitting it myself, will this be fairly straight forward and simples?

Looking for 182
I've read that getting the old exhaust off will be half the battle, especially if you're just up on axle stands.

Mine was a right PITA to get off. We had the use of my mates pit in his garage and still found it difficult. Ended up cutting it in two with a hacksaw (perfectly clean cut funnily enough) as I had a time limit before he wanted me to piss off and leave him alone!

Getting the aftermarket on is simples getting it to sight right especially if you have a Milltek is a nightmare.

Only thing you might need to be aware of is getting the ring clamp off that's after the cat is quite tricky. We ended up using two screwdrivers to pry either end apart. Getting it back on is a much quicker job just be careful you don't over tighten it as all it does is end up bending.

I am of course a rookie when it comes to this so consider this by all means a total bodge.

O right this doesnt sound that promising lol, ill be fine separating the middle box from the cat as its snapped anyway, why did u have to cut it in half, was it just due to the back box being fused to the middle box?

The backboxes/silencers and resonator are all in one peice so it's fiddly to get out in one go. I can't quite remember. If you've got it on a lift then it shouldn't be a problem but working in a pit without dropping the rear beam is difficult.

Not to mention storing the bloody thing after. I wouldn't have got it in the car or in the shed so would have ended up cutting it anyway.

If you do cut it just make sure it's a clean cut so it can be re-welded if need be. Be careful not to hit any fuel lines or any other pipes/cables with the end of the saw when you're giving it what for. It's best if you have two people so one can take the weight and also pin it to stop it moving around when you're cutting it. Unless you have a grinder to eat straight through it.

I was going to attempt it on stands glad i didn't! was a nightmare in the pit so can't imagine how frustrating stands would have been!

Worth the effort when you turn her over for the first time though :)

Its pretty common that the exhaust gets cut behind the center silencer to remove it. Renault even sell a connector sleeve so you can re-join it at a later date!

LOL im gonna give it a go, not like ive done much swaring today anyway..

Brave man! it's useful if you have a mate/nan/tramp to hand to make sure you don't give your rear bumper a good knocking when you're jiggling the old one off and out.

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
I just fitted the Ktec Ultra system an hour ago on small ramps and had the job done in under 2 hours. Old one comes off easy if it has a break in it if not time to get the angle grinder out. All you need is a deep 13mm socket, flat head screwdriver to prise the rubbers off, 13mm spanner and some WD40.

Well Iv got to say that it wasnt nearly as bad as i was expecting.... had the car on axle stands and had to angle grind the old exhaust off just in front of the rear axle.
The new exhaust Janspeed supersport uses the same brackets and went on easily. Tbh neither of us are mechanically minded and it was pretty easy and would encourage others
to do the same if ur up for the slight challange. Looks really good too, fills the back bumper cut outs nicely and sits very level, ill post some pics up.
The exhaust itself sounds good but not as loud as i was expecting which is a bonus suprising considering it does without the middle box.... and appartly save 11kg over the standard
system.

Glad you didn't find it too tough!

Pics!

My Milltek has a resonator (I think that's what it's called) after the cat but before the back boxes. Thinking about getting a stright through pipe made possibly as I wouldn't mind it a little louder.

Clio 182
Do you generally need a sealer to seal a Yozza for example? I'm gonna attempt mine this weekend and I'm not sure whether I need to buy a sealer (loctite).

Inferno 182
I have fitted the janspeed super sport from k-tech on wednesday with a friend. clamp after the cat was an absolute pig to get off and then on again and have done some damage to it as it is now blowing from that joint, renault have changed the design and it now comes in 2 halves, so in future save your self some hassle and cut it off its only£5, apart from that clamp and cutting the exhaust in half whilst lying on your back under the car it wasn't to bad of a job tbh.

Well impressed with the quality of the exhaust as well went together really easy and lined up pretty much perfect straight away.

Dan D yes you will need some exhaust paste or sealer to stop it leaking on the joints.

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
Heres the part number for it as it will save yourself hassle and frustration R77 01 458 596 seriously use it, my local dealer had it in stock and they are a pretty small dealer so chances are the local one to you will have it as well

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
Just to settle my mind, does everyones cat sit low where it joins the mid section? Mine does quite a bit but no matter what i do it will not sit up any higher. I thought that maybe im missing a mount for the cat but that doesnt look the case.

Mine was with the standard exhaust.... Then the mid box snapped :s I'm sure if it's a stainless system it will be fine :)

Wot exhaust paste Is good to use, and also where is a good place to get replacement rear exhaust mounts from?

Cheers, I'll try an post some better pics jus took thosequick on my iPhone. Wot exhaust paste is recommended for the join onto the cat as it is blowing a bit...