ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Exhaust manifold and k-tec system on a 172?

Audi TT 225
Sorry if this has been posted before but Ive just bought the car and I dont know a huge amount about these engines yet. I had a fiesta zetec-s and you could get a 4-2-1 manifold for it which gave some good gains on the zetec lump.

Ive got a 2000 mk1 172 (non cup), am I correct in saying the exhaust ports are larger on this version than the 182?

What Im wondering is:-

Will the 182 exhaust manifold fit onto my engine and mate up with the k-tec 172 sports cat and a k-tec 172 cat back system?

Also when I had the ford they were really funny about you buying parts from other car models made by ford??? Are renault the same? Could I walk into renault and buy a 182 zorst manifold for my 172?

Any idea of the cost of the manifold?
Thanks in advance for any advice :D

Audi TT 225
Makes perfect sense to me!
Im going to fit a sports cat and new system anyway so if I can gain some more horsies from swapping the manifold while Im at it then game on!
Dont care about cost!

Lionel Richie
the 182 exhaust manifold WON'T fit the 172 sport CAT (unless you chop it and weld a flange on)

the 182 manifold is longer than the 172 manifold

also the killer is the labour cost of fitting it

you CAN do it

No dealer has ever cared IMo what parts you buy.

The Mk1 172's don't come in Cup spec only the mk 2 172's
The 4-2-1 manifold is used on the 182's and is better than the 172's one but its a bit of work to make it fit and its not realy the best ever there still more could be done. It won't match up to your decat though you need another one as the 4-2-1 manifold goes further back as such than the 172 one. Manifold is £250 I think. I take it you just want it for power is so there more you can fdo relay for better gains ie intake manifold work to get more power.
The exhaust ports are bigger the head from the later Mk2's 172's and 182's is the turbo head so its not quite as good.

Audi TT 225
Ok great, so it would probably be better to get the 182 manifold and go for a full custom zorst with sports cat then?
I had a full custom on my last motor and it rocked!

Is a 3" pipe too much or would a 2.5" or 2.25" be better?

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
i'll probably be corrected LOL, but i think if you're going for a 'money no object' system you want a 182 manifold, 182 sports cat and a custom build from there back. lot of hours tho, subframe down. hangers to fabricate ect and thats just to do the manifold & cat.

Lionel Richie
and you want a 2.75inch bore pipe for maximum output

edde, i'm gonna disagree with you about your comment on the 182 manifold, its the best thing to come out of Renault!! It really is amazing considering the cost if the part

Audi TT 225
Now your talking my language!!!
Is the 182 sports cat any good then?

I usually start with the zorst/cat/manifold then move onto induction and inlet work and top it off with cams and a chip.
Im aiming for about 200bhp for starters.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
you need to look at the inlet manifold for starters, before anything else. its the main fall down of that engine. pm ben r. he'll mod it, basically it needs matching for a noticeable improvement, you can also go to town on it for an impressive result.!

Audi TT 225
I did some manifold work on my last car, I fitted a bigger manifold and ported it out a bit.
So what needs doing, removing the casting imperfections, a little porting and some port matching?

Also does anyone know if there is a larger throttle body that will fit onto the manifold?
Ford stuff was plug and play, I fitted a 2ltr mondao throttle body onto a 1.7 puma manifold which fitted on my 1.6 fiesta lump (obviously matching it all)

Lionel Richie
RichMcc said:
I did some manifold work on my last car, I fitted a bigger manifold and ported it out a bit.
So what needs doing, removing the casting imperfections, a little porting and some port matching?

Also does anyone know if there is a larger throttle body that will fit onto the manifold?
Ford stuff was plug and play, I fitted a 2ltr mondao throttle body onto a 1.7 puma manifold which fitted on my 1.6 fiesta lump (obviously matching it all)

yeah you can do, but don't expect it to be easy to get 200bhp

Last edited:
  172 Flamer
I have been told that the gains from fitting the 4-2-1 manifold to a 172 will only be noticable above 6000 rpm (round about the point when I'll be thinking of changing gear) - is this true & if so is it worth nearly a grand to get done?!

Ad

MK2 FRS
M8s just got a zetec s with the puma manifold and noticeable different to driving the ones with sandard. Shame its not as easy with renos lol.

Audi TT 225
Yeah but Im gonna chip her, maybe stick fast road cams and raise the rev limmit so its worth it for me :D
Im modifying my engine for better 0-60 times and get it down to santa pod... if your just driving about then just get a cat back ;)

Tell him to fit a 2ltr mondao throttle body as well it really improves acceleration!

Last edited: