ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 falling to bits

Orange 182

I feel like jumping off a bridge...

After taking my 182 to Renault on Tuesday to report a problem I have been having with 5th gear, they have told me they will take it away for 3 days on the 19th... however since then the car has gone into a steady decline.

Since I picked it up, it has been making a whining noise when driving in 5th gear, this only occurs when there is drive i.e. if I drop the clutch the noise disappears. However, this has developed further and i now get a grinding/fuzzy sort of noise in all gears which comes and goes periodically, more so when not accelerating. If I put it into neutral as Im driving along, no noise! This is heavily pointing the finger at the gearbox...

The noise is most noticeable on the passenger side, but having checked the position of the gearbox I think it makes sense and will be entering the car behind the dash on that side... Ive also noticed a hissing noise coming from below the car when I get to about 70... I hope there aint a problem with the damn exhaust!?!?!

As if that wasnt bad enough, I now feel as tho I am also losing drive power... where as before Id put my foot down and the car would effortlessly pull away. Now it is a noisy laboured affair and I get some small vibrations back coming through the accelerator pedal...

When it was at Reno, the RTE reckoned it was something to do specifically with 5th gear, but that was before all these other problems started, Ill try ringing them 2morro but I think Ill have to put up with it over easter at least.

I feel like my 182 is in serious trouble already. Ive just got to 650 miles so I was looking forward to some good runs, but now I dread getting into it incase I find something else...

Sorry to go on.. just quite disappointed... Cliosport forum is my therapist right now! Please no "its a renault!" comments, Ive took loads of sh!t from my mates already. If anyone has any ideas what I should do (apart from the obvious) Id really appreciate it.

Mazda MX5 1.8

oh ur not the only one....... my 1.6 feels like its about to die sometimes

and my mates are always teasing me about having my boot lid resprayed (cos of a run in the primer) saying its rust blah blah blah blah

cars just arent made how they used to be :mad:

Big pain in the arse, but best find faults while its under warranty, be really sh*t if it was three years old. Just hope they sort it for you.

Would expect more from a new car tho, thankfully mines ok so far @1350miles. First Reno for me so I dont know what generally goes wrong, but this forum can be scary

Orange 182

yeah my first renault too, also the first new car I ever bought, and unfortunately the first time I ever took a car back to a garage because of a fault before lol.

Volvo S60 T5

Sounds like a defo fooked gearbox, you may be losing power to the excess drap in the box caused by internal failure.
Renault gearboxs aint the best in the world, seem to do at least one a week at work, works out that its between 1 % to 2% of the cars sold have gearbox faults.
You will probably find the other things you have mentioned are tied in with a box fault, whistling etc indicates bearing failure.
Sound like you got a bad one mate total bit of bad luck:(

Dont worry it will be good as gold once its been sorted.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Orange 182

Cheers, Im going to ask them to replace the gearbox. I think the loss of power does actually feel as though I am driving against seomthing, so I guess if the gearbox is binding it could cause that...

Tom do u mean reject the gearbox or the whole car? :confused: Giving the car back would be like tearing my heart out.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Trail,

I hope you get this sorted one way or another,i know how excited you were waiting for it.

Dont or try not to let this issue spoil the ownership,ive had a few niggles with mine and its a cracking car and i hope you get sorted and put it behind you and get back to enjoying it.

I saw something in a mag today along the lines of...if you find any fault within the first 6 months you have a strong case to put forward saying the car was faulty when you picked it up.You might be able to use that in your favour.

Orange 182

Thanks Funky...

It still makes me smile just looking at it... this has just took the shine off it slightly. Im just genuinely concerned that its going to be a ball ache to get this sorted. Going on what people post on here... it seems all I can expect from my 3 days in the garage on the 19th is an unfixed fault and dents in my doors...

I should be out having a go at Audi TTs like you... not sat in feeling a bit pissed off and not wanting to drive it :cry:

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I had that feeling also,the day after i picked mine up the shields underneath the engine came loose and were scraping along the floor.So i had to leave it in my garage and wait until Monday because it was Saturday.I was gutted,only 150 miles on the clock and i couldnt even drive it.

Got it sorted and now im getting on with having fun and enjoying it.I was pissed off at the time like you are now but the main thing was it was sorted quickly without hassle and there was no damage done.Fingers crossed its the same for you.

Orange 182

Well done Funky youve cheered me up with that mate!

My missus will be pleased too cos Ive been a grumpy fart since she got home because of this... ;)

182 Spiced

Im expecting my new 182 in may... reading all this dont help the nerves...:confused:

but anyone know what real rights we have with a car with re: to returns. i dont know of anyone whos bought a car and had it replaced due to manufacture faults... or have my mates all just got cars have been reliable (and i have to say none of them have a Reno)

Gearbox bearings without a doubt - wich one(s) hard to say but its either a rebuild or new box - the latter you should insist on!!

As far as rejection, you have to allow the dealer a chance to correct the fault. All the issues you describe are all related to the box as someone has already said. My advice is to let em fixc it then youre laughing!! you could end up getting another then something else could go wrong....cant win mate.

If you like the car then it is worth waiting.

Oh, and with that milage then you dont really want to be driving it - it could cease at any time. Plus with all that increase in friction etc due to failed components, you dont really want to be loding your engine up during the running in period. - ask em for a courtesy car or you iwll threaten rejection and or involve the RMIF( retail motor industry federation).

Look on the brightside it will be spot on whern you get it!!

Orange 182

Sound advice Matt thanks...

I was planning on a weekend driving around Wales, guess thats a no go then... mailto:F*@k">F*@k!

GW Clio 200

lol

You console me with how good the 182 will be when you get the problems sorted and then underneath your name you put 182 banger LMFAO

feckur!! ;)

Orange 182

Hehe... Im just a bit of a drama queen! Youd think someone had died the other day cos my car wasnt working properly. Im just quite attached to it already, so the fact that the car is playing up is like having an injury!

It seems most 182 owners are not having many problems... xTreme: go read some of Funkyjahooners posts, hes caining everything on the roads at the moment in his! ;)

Cheers Viv... I like it when 172/Cup owners tell me about how they initally had problems but that have been sorted, makes me feel better. :D

You dont have to allow the dealer the chance to rectify the fault before you reject it. If the problem(s) are bad enough (like they were with my Cup) you can reject it straight away.

I got a solicitor and rejected my Cup. Gave me great pleasure when I won :D

The gearbox noise you describe is what I have on my 1993 Williams. Ive not got round to sorting it yet as I have a feeling it will be expensive, but the car has done 8,000 miles in my ownership with this noise! Comes and goes as it pleases, although its most audible at about 50mph.

Ive had this "diagnosed" by forum experts as probably a shaft bearing, although if yours relates only to 5th then yours isnt. I certainly havent had any problems going fast with this noise ;)

Makes you wonder if they put enough oil in the gearbox. Sounds a bit like either layshaft bearings or the main beaing on the final drive end of the box. Had the latter on a rover 414 and it progressively (over about 700 miles) became a very heavy grinding noise that was so painfull to listen too. If it is, this ensure you get a replacement box, do not get it refurbished. The grinding noise I had was metal being worn away and that in turn was circulated around the rest of the box while driving. £580 later it sounded & felt better than new but 6 months later began to get other bearing noises, not anywhere near as severe as before (more of a chatter) so I sold the car pronto. Was told this was probably caused by the fine metal particals being chewed up by all the gears before I have it repaired.

Orange 182

Ok rang Renault back today... apparently they have contacted Renault UK who have told them to simply replace the entire gearbox which is good news. The bad news is that they aint got a courtesy car till Tuesday and theyve also told me to drive the car as little as possible to reduce the chances of a seizure (the gearbox not me ;)).

Im just praying that I havent done anything else to the car, theres just something not right when I accelerate so I hope this is all down to the gearbox as some people have suggested.

Thanks for the advice on rejection, however I will only consider this an option if I get it back and the problems havent been fixed.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well its a kinda result. The gearbox was replaced on my 172 after about 1000 miles, so its not uncommon.