ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Gearbox oil with plate LSD

cattlerustler

ClioSport Club Member
  Exige S Clio Cup

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Forget the diff, use the oil that works for the box.

Cheaper to rebuild the diff than to keep rebuilding the box. Plus it's a plate diff anyway, so it'll need a rebuild eventually.

Redline MTL or MT-90 is good.

Thoughts @NorthloopCup?

cattlerustler

ClioSport Club Member
  Exige S Clio Cup
I used to use Redline MT-90 in my Exige and that was (I think) LSD friendly oil, the car doesn't do a lot of mileage so time between diff rebuilds will be quite a while hopefully
This now turns into is MTL or MT-90 better?

cattlerustler

ClioSport Club Member
  Exige S Clio Cup
For a track/race car go with mt90. Lsd oil will kill a jc5 as they need gl4 oil.

As stated above, go with the oil that will look after the box, not the diff.

Thanks, just out of interest is there any benefit of running a gearbox oil cooler to protect the gearbox? I used to run one on my Exige via a laminova, it was almost essential for keeping the gearbox in one piece with sustained track use.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks, just out of interest is there any benefit of running a gearbox oil cooler to protect the gearbox? I used to run one on my Exige via a laminova, it was almost essential for keeping the gearbox in one piece with sustained track use.
Ah mate, that’s like music to my ears!! Yes is the answer! I ran one on mine as well and used a laminova setup. Cooling on the Elise box will be more important the the Clio box due to its location, but it’s definitely worthwhile. If you click on my username there will be a link to the build thread. There’s a few options for cooling the box in there too. Breaking cover is the thread title. ??