ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 going going nearly gone!!!

GW Clio 200

Its all about the Diesels now!!

With prices at the pumps continuing to rise. People, including myself, have decided to cross over to the oil guzzlers rather that than pay huge amounts of our hard earned cash supplementing the unquenchable thirst of our 172/182 Renaultsports cars.

I have just decided to Part X my car for the 1.6 Ford Fiesta Zetec S TDCi. My 182 has an average mpg of 33.7 mpg, that in contrast to the Zetec TDCi of 67.2 mpg.

Diesels have come a long way in recent times and the Zetec is not only economical but unbelievbly fun to drive.

With Insurance costs also set to fall by several hundred quid its sure to bring that bit more of a smile to my face when I look at your bank account.

Maybe Im getting old but I think for me...im moving on and looking forward to the change.

http://www.fordfiestast.com/images/library/2%20unofficial%20images/car_portal_pic_17475.jpg

http://www.fordfiestast.com/images/library/2%20unofficial%20images/car_portal_pic_17476.jpg

http://www.fordfiestast.com/images/library/2%20unofficial%20images/car_portal_pic_17477.jpg

"My 182 has an average mpg of 33.7 mpg"

Mine is 27!!

You obvioulsy drive it like a pansy so you might aswel get a diesel!!

Lol only kidding fella.... I like the look of the Fiesta Zetec in all honesty its probably a good move. Can understand why it would appeal.

GW Clio 200

Drive like a pansy !!!.....Maybe.

I do drive a round trip of 50 miles a day to work which for me works out about 850 miles a month...mostly motorway miles.

I love the car, its a nice little drive, but I have owned the 172 Cup and the 182 and I have enjoyed my time with both...but me thinks its time to move on.

This car has great reviews and the new TDCi engines are getting very good reviews from car critics, and a wirk collegue who is loving his..so...yes the 182 is going..

Bet you dont gain that much ... Not worth the loss in power and performance for what you will gain in the pocket ... You will have to do a lot of miles to make a massive saving ...

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Get yourself a cheap diesel for work and keep the 182 for weekend and days off fun.You can keep your 182 mint and use the diesel to and from work,i also use my non 182 if i have to go somewhere and cant be arsed with parking at the end of carparks.

Thats what i have done,best of both worlds ;)

320d

Its up to you but i couldnt live with a car that wasnt fun

As said above youll need to do some serious miles to make any decent savings

You can pick up a cheapo ZX or 306 diesel for £500 and use that for the trip to work itll cost pennies to insure and who cares if it looks crap

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Should of gone for the tweenie shoe lookalike fabia tdi

much quicker and may hold residuals a bit better than the ford

ian

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

My Cup with mods would turn around 30mpg if I was lucky. 310miles from a full tank of optimax on a normal 50/50 A-Road/Motorway split. On a hard thrash, aka Nurburgring.. 230miles from a tank. nasty stuff. Considered diesels, might be worth trying a Fabia VRS.

Quote: Originally posted by Topper182 on 20 April 2005
Bet you dont gain that much ... Not worth the loss in power and performance for what you will gain in the pocket ... You will have to do a lot of miles to make a massive saving ...

you would be suprised on what you save
diesel over 10k miles
50mpg
=200gallons
=909litres
spent £818

petrol

30mpg
333 gallons
1513 litres
spent £1286

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

WTF!!!! I get 230 miles from most of my tanks of petrol!!!! 70% is town driving yeh but aint no Nurburgring lol!

133/225/CLS AMG

I think completely depends on how much driving you do. If you have to drive a lot each week a diesel is very practical.

As advanced as they have become I still wouldnt buy one.

I dont mind the petrol drinking Clio coz I think the satisfaction of driving it outweighs the cost of running it. I say that as I dont have to drive all that much.

well alex if you have to do 500+ miles a week like me just to go see the gf you may think otherwise :)

i was buying a 147 gta before i got the fabia but i couldnt cope with 7 mpg when having fun when driving those distances. i made a choice be with the girl i really like or blow all my money on a car and petrol for me that was a no brainer

MGP W02

DUDE!!!! So should of gone for the Skoda Fabia vRS those things, once chipped can pin you to the seat!!!!

im not thinking about buying one for economy (although its an advantage), im just sick of renaults and there build etc, i recently went out in a revod cupra r ibiza and boy it shifts it has 205bhp, with 235 torque, granted they do look a bit dull though

GW Clio 200

I dont feel like I want to race everywhere I go. I just want to get there safely while listening to a bit of Talksport.

I live in Kent and work in central London. Having the daily trip up and down the A2 is not anyones idea of fun. Its a constant battle with heavy traffic.

I dont see the sense in owning a car with the performance of the clio when I cannot use it. Theres traffic all the way to and from work, When Im not working im busy doing other things. I love Cars but PCs are my real hobby, so bulding modding and gaming are my real pleasures.

I spend on average £130 a month on petrol. £230 for the car loan and £50 for insurance. This works out £410 a month for a car that just gets me to work and back.

I get a diesel and the fuel price is reduced to less than half £60, Insurance is £20 a month, HP Payments are £200.
Monthly that equates to £280 a month. Having £130 more to play with is quite a saving and allows me to still do everything I want to do with that bit extra cash to enjoy elsewhere.

Listen when I was little Newms age my outlook would have been similar to his. But Im not, Im 31 and my priorities have changed.

not a clio anymore

hey! I am 31, there is no way I am swapping my car for a tractor

[Edited by nonos on 4/21/2005 12:27:34 PM]

Actually I am kind of kidding, our second car is a Diesel. I think you put it right, you need to have a car that matches your needs. If a little diesel does that, then good.
Just beware that there is more to expenses than petrol. Servicing tends to be more expensive too.
But I have to say, diesel (lower reving than petrol) and motorway are a good combination.
Its just the cold morning start when everything rattles

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 21 April 2005

fuk it id rather pay extra than own a slow arsed tractor.

Imo the clio is great on fuel
Agreed - one of the main reasons I bought the 182 was its mpg compared to other "quick" cars!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

32mpg ... I wish ... LOL ;)

V6 with a 3 litre diesel engine in the boot!? Give it 5-10 years!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

father in law has a new 530D and it pulls away from me at 60mph and above in any usable gear...

Yes they are the future i agree but 30k for a deisel is a lot of money at the moment

ian

Wooh.Thats not good.How old are you fella?55! That really does suck.
See if you can find find a Forum for boring,pennypinching,old before their time diesel owners!

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 21 April 2005
father in law has a new 530D and it pulls away from me at 60mph and above in any usable gear...Yes they are the future i agree but 30k for a deisel is a lot of money at the momentian

I know what you mean but an equivalent speed petrol will cost about the same.
A V6 CLio with a 1.9 dci engine has been made and used as a promo for Renault it pumped out black smoke but cannot have been much slower than a V6.

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 20 April 2005

hey, your not the only one considering diesel power, im not thinking ford though

Cupra diesel! :D Rapid

Nice fiesta that, hope you enjoy it.

Tom

Quote: Originally posted by Nick nets on 21 April 2005
See if you can find find a Forum for boring,pennypinching,old before their time diesel owners!

people get bored of people like you very quickly

to be honest i think that by the time i start thinking of buying a diesel becuase of the cost ill have gone completely off driving. i love driving. its great and for that reason i dont mind spending money on it.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by Nick nets on 21 April 2005

Nick grow up ffs you know fukk all.

When you have a £260,000 mortgage and a wife and child to support let me know until then keep your stupid comments to yourself.

Like I have repeatedly said, I have enjoyed my time owning the 172Cup and the 182 but my circumstances are changing and so are my needs.

dont worry xtreme not everyone is a small minded prick :)
you will find the majority of normal people couldnt give a monkeys if its diesel or not just some people that think that the clio is gods gift to motoring ;)

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 21 April 2005

im not thinking about buying one for economy (although its an advantage), im just sick of renaults and there build etc, i recently went out in a revod cupra r ibiza and boy it shifts it has 205bhp, with 235 torque, granted they do look a bit dull though
i think your figures are wrong m8. a revod cupra tdi has over 320lbft of torque hellfire (my bro) has 300lbft in his jabba sport remapped fabia.

they are quick. his fabia is slightly quicker than my 172 (lighter wheels, green filter koni adjustables) and it corners really well. you can go onto vag.com give yourself more steering feel less asssistance etc.. or get miltek exhausts FMIC the list is endless