ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 head with phase 1 valve cover

So I've found someone selling a very low mileage bottom end and a 182 head. To overcome the problem of using a 182 plenum they installed a phase 1 valve cover.

Can this be done? I'm guessing its the valve cover from the head that came off the low mileage block.

Would this give me problems? The head is rebuilt, but I don't know to what standard.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I'm almost certain the cam cover and head are a matched pair as they together create the cam journals. So in essence it is certainly not good practice to mix an match them

He has made a mistake. It is indeed a 182 valve cover (the one that belongs to the head). Pics do confirm this... Pfew...

Only thing is, since I have a ph1 plenum, do I need to get a 182 intake plenum? Or will the phase 1 plenum seal on the 182 valve cover since the phase 1 plenum has a hole (and a rubber gasket).

dan's cast offs.
Plenum can be made to work either way.

IF the cam cover has been checked before it was fully built up then you can sometimes get away with swapping them over. I've chucked cams in with no followers etc and checked how the cams turn.