ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 heavy unstable steering - normal?

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
just picked up a 05 clio 182. it has had two new tyres on the passenger side of the car front and rear. on the drivers side there still standard.

ive noticed the steering feels very heavy and a little unstable i suppose. misses has commented on how gerky im steering.

i had a bora before on 18s and i that was lighter.

i think the tracking is out because after steering the wheel doesnt seem to return to the centre. but just wondered if the tyres would effect it, i know it effects torque steer a bit.

any advice would be good, ideally im going to get the new tyres transfered to the front and tracking done.

but just wondered if anyone else has experieced heavy unstable steering in there 182.

notice it feels lighter turning left the heavier turning right.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the hydraulic steering is very heavy i had an argument with my mum who insists my power steering "doesnt work" lol but its awesome for driving fast with when your used to it!

wheel should return to the centre though, check tyre pressures and check for un eaven wear

PH1 172
If the front tyres are different as one of them is brand new then the tread depth is going to be deeper so it will effect the steering as in to say it may well pull to the right due to the car slightly leaning to the right. As for heavy steering, it may be that you are not used to it yet, but I would suggest checking your power steering fluid.

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
cheers guys , going to get the tyres changed over, and def getting tracking done,

i think its becauise im not used to it yet. but after tonight i know its better for driving hard lol.

great handling

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
got this changed, old tyres on front and tracking was out.

steering in improved. does anyone else notice that the steering throws u all over if you go over different cambers in road?

must be becuase the steering is heavy that u feel everything on the road.