ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Insurance

Hi

Right I've been reading what people have saying about declaring the Cup packs on their insurance and I'm getting confused.

So what I want to know is do have to declare them even if they don't charge you or what??? And basically what the hell do I do declare them and get charged or not????? HELP!!!

It would make sense that they don't have to be declared at all because they are fitted by Renault at the factory so they are NOT an after market modification. But alot of people are saying you've got to declare them a majority of you are saying that you don't which makes sense???

I should get my 182 very soon (hopefully this week) and I've already got a quote which is £987 with Privilege. At the time I never thought about the Cup Packs until reading some post on here. Now I wish I never bothered.

Please Help!

182 w/busted splitter :-(
It depends on the Insurance Company - some are more knowledgable than others with regards to the spec' of vehicles?

FWIW, I insured my 182 (full-fat, with both Cup Packs) with Direct Line, and asked them about this - their answer went along the lines that as the Cup Packs were a factory fit option, i.e. not an aftermarket "modification" then they would not require declaring as a "mod", as this was the specification in which the vehicle was supplied by the dealer.

I think from reading previous threads on this, some insurers have better information as to the exact spec of what a 182 (and other models, I guess) actually consists of - in my case, they tell me that my new 182 is 'factory spec' as that is how it was delivered from the factory.

They did tell me that "modifications" entails something that changes the specification of the vehicle away from that which was supplied by the manufacturer - in this case, Cup Packs, as an option, shouldn't be classed as a "modification".

Of course, you may get others whose insurers may tell them different, but that's the answer I got from direct Line...

HTH!

Ad

MK2 FRS
I have mine declared with privilege and at no extra cost and it says on the documents. Although at first they said they woudlnt insure me, but then changed there minds. Better to have it list, although the fact that the majority have them on will work in you favour if you dont declare.

RenaultSport Clio 182
I've got my insurance with Privilege too. They asked for any modifications including factory fit options so declared the cup suspension pack. Made no difference to the premium though. Always think its best to be on the safe side as may use anything against you to get out of paying in the event of a claim

Cheers guys. That helps. If they try to charge me I'll give this website and tell 'em to have a good look at the forum under insurance. LOL!

Silver 182 F/F
I'm with Direct Line and i got told by them that i had to declare it due to the fact it's classed as a performance upgrade,but when i got the car stolen they only wanted to pay out for a cup version.Finally got the full value though.

To me this proves the lack of knowledge and obviously inconsistent approach of the insurance companies. I am with direct line and when I changed to a 182 with cup packs I told them about the mods stressing they were factory fitted and on two occassions was told it was classed as a modification and increased my policy by about £200 over a standard one.
It is worrying because who is to say an assessor wont come round after an accident and void insurance because you were told the wrong thing on the phone.
Chriscl does it say on your policy that it is a 182 with cup packs??
My main point would be make sure it is written on the policy document.

Just spoke to some numpty who said they wouldn't insure me!! I stressing like madit was factory fitted! She was a women who hadn't a f@*$%ng clue. Well p@*ssed off now. gona phone back later.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
I'm with direct line too... cup packs seem to be on as 'mods' but state 'fitted by factory at time of manufacture' or some similar guff... didn't seem to make any difference..
How can they even try to pull that one really - as the 182 cup, which has both packs as standard seems to be rated by most co's same as a normal 182, despite the 'modified' suspension and spoilers?
The thieving gets also wanted £60quid extra when I declared the exhaust too! Think I might be shopping round come Spring...

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Just ask them to do it on a 182 that's what I have. I have both packs on the car though.

Mondeo STTDCI
Why oh why would you even mention it...do you think people with BMW mini's and Golf Gti's start saying how they specced a chilli pack or full leather seats.

182 w/busted splitter :-(
In my case, the guy at direct line stated that they insured the vehicle based on the spec as it was delivered from the factory, so that the Cup Packs didn't count as an aftermarket modification (like say changing the wheels or the exhaust).

As they didn't class them as a 'mod' I queried this, only to be told that if the worst happened, as long as I had the dealer's original paperwork to show that the vehicle had been delivered in that specification, then it would be no problem - which I suppose is fair, as otherwise how you could possibly ensure that you'd listed every single option you had asked for from the dealer?

I know the 'extras' list of the 182 (other than the Cup Packs) isn't excessive, but on some cars it can be huge?

So, as far as I've been told by Direct Line, I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Like most of us on here, I hope I never have to put that claim to the test!

Ad

MK2 FRS
andyr182 said:
Just spoke to some numpty who said they wouldn't insure me!! I stressing like madit was factory fitted! She was a women who hadn't a f@*$%ng clue. Well p@*ssed off now. gona phone back later.

Yeah phone back, I had a really stupid women the first time, then got a bloke who was sound as.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Btw, privilege asked me what manufacturers options the car had. Even says metallic paint on my policy.

Racing Blue 182
insurance companys are inconsistend, due to the people answering the phones dont know what they are on about. I have cup packs and havnt declared them, as i was told on here Renault uk said not to pay anything extra on insurance for them

Ad

MK2 FRS
| personally would with that one as it probably increases the value of the car by a couple of hundred.