ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Intermittent Engine Warning Light Especially when Idling - help!

Clio 182 CUP
Hi Everyone

Whilst I have been very happy with my recent purchased 182, there is one thing that has been troubling me - Intermittent Engine Warning Light!!

Details of the car:
54 Plate, 182 Full Fat, FSH, 1 Previous owner, 90k - absolutely no mods or anything.
Car drives very well; engine very strong with no apparent issues that I can detect what so ever

Issue:
The engine warning light only appears to come on when I am idling, say when I am parked for 5 mins with the engine running; I don't recall seeing when driving or when say, waiting in traffic - only seems to happen when parked. I've notice the engine a little bit lumpy at the same time, in the sense that its not completely smooth and whilst it doesn't sound or feel is going to stall there does seem to a ever so slightly misfire.
the light will blink (on and off) for a couple of minutes and then stop and then perhaps 4 or 5 mins later, repeat. If I turn off an on, the light goes away but after a period of idle, it returns. Not the car hadn't made any long runs at this time (only say a max of 5 miles so perhaps its not completely warm yet)

Repairs so far
Taken it to Renspec Repairs (Poole) who have been very good so far; firstly they clear the error and according the computer it has misfired (I forget the error code)
When the issue returned - upon my instruction - they replace the Spark Plugs, Coil & Cable (They advised it was worth a try but did not guarantee resolution, which was perfectly reasonable of courseS) and they advised to use Super unleaded only (the tank was almost empty do I refilled as recommended). After than was done, It seemed the problem had been resolved and for 2-3 weeks its been absolutely fine - not lights what so anything. However it returned today - the car hadn't been far (probably 2-3 miles) and whilst parked (with it running) it reappeared :-(

So I would appreciate any advice or pointers from fellow Renault Sport owners - especially if I can provide it to Renspec as well.

The car still drives great, but I want to be able to trust it (e.g. when my wife drives) and the warning I am getting is not some kind of prelude to something worse?

Thanks and all the best
Rob

dan's cast offs.
check your injectors, measure the resistance, they throw injectors more than babies throw toys out of prams!!

Clio 182 CUP
Ok, latest Update!

I was advised by the garage previous and again to refill the car (I don't normally as I don't really do much driving e.g. I walk to work) and as before, the problem has completely gone away.

Less than half a tank of petrol = light comes on as per above description
Full tank to half (so far) = NO light comes on at all

So is this indicative of fuel pump issue or something else (as I really would like to know) ? If so, what sort of cost to replace?
Obviously is cannot be THAT serious if its resolved by filling up the tank!!

I appreciate anyones advice

Many thanks
Rob

Clio 182 CUP
Dan@SJM - many thanks for the offer - I may take you up, given that Im in Dorset (Bournemouth)

Now slightly in contradiction to what I said above -- I started the car this afternoon on my drive and left it idling (i.e. I didn't go anyway, where as previously I had taken a short trip and then left it idling) and lo and behold the light came on - which is not something I had seen before. The car hadn't quite reached optimal temp so I stopped it and restarted it - this has the effect of stopping the light flashing and I gave it some light revving (2k-3k - nothing ridiculous ) and it reached its normal temperature. Then I left it idling again for about 20mins and NO warning light.

So whilst filling up is perhaps a slight red-herring (as its > 3/4 full now) it appears its related to the 'car not quite warm yet' -- which is consistent with the original post in that, I mainly perform short trips and leave it idling (mainly to keep warm whilst when I say, drop my son off at football practice) and then light is likely to come on. Yet if I reset it by turning off the engine and on again (when the its a optimal temperature) then it seems the lights remains off.

So it perhaps as mentioned earlier it relates to injectors?

Thanks
Rob

It could be the heater part of one of the lambda sensors, during idling it may not be getting hot enough to work. As the car is otherwise running oK I would guess it would be the post cat one.