ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Intermittent starting

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Hi all,

A while back now my 182 wouldnt start, I had the AA out to it who told me it was an immobaliser issue and more than likely the key was on its way out. I had a new key but i sill had the problem but only every now and then, For months it would be fine and then it wouldnt. The only way to get it to start is to put the ignition on and wait a few minutes with the dash lights on flick it off and try again then it will fire up.

This has starting happening all the time now though 9 times out of 10 it wont start and i have to wait a few minutes and try again. Ive no idea where to start with this. Has anyone any idea what the problem could be ?

Many thanks

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Could be a faulty immobiliser ring or a connection issue? Have you pulled the steering cowling off to have a look to see if anything obvious stands out? If not, just see if anything jumps out as wrong/bodged by previous owner etc.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I have the same problem but my orange immobilizer light always goes out as if everything is fine, audible 'click' heard from under the dash when turning the key but no cranking, is this similar to yours mate? I've not found a solution as of yet other than wait it out or bump start...

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Is the fuel pump kicking in the first time yiu turn the key or the second, maybe fuel pressure related also

PH2 172
I have the same problem but my orange immobilizer light always goes out as if everything is fine, audible 'click' heard from under the dash when turning the key but no cranking, is this similar to yours mate? I've not found a solution as of yet other than wait it out or bump start...
Check the connection of the "exciter" wire on the back of the starter motor.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
@npt @bloke
I've just been to check and no the fuel pump doesn't kick in as it used to. Seems a bit strange though if I leave the key in the ingnition for a few minutes then try again it fires up.

Could this be a relay problem still as menioned a few posts up? As I'll check them and give them a clean

Thanks

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Worth a try with the relays, see some people have had issues with the fuel pump on arming once you turn the ignition on and off twice, you may have the same problem, nightmare geting to the bottom of stupid issues like this

PH2 172
Engine bay fuses & relays.

Attachments

• CLIO ENGINE BAY FUSEBOX.jpg
    CLIO ENGINE BAY FUSEBOX.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 248
  • CLIO RELAY DIAGRAM.jpg
    CLIO RELAY DIAGRAM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 277

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ok thanks lad. I'll check over the relays and earth's as mentioned above.

@bloke No I can keep cycling the ignition but it won't fire and the fuel pump doesn't prime. The only way to get it to start is key in the ignition and leave it for a couple of minutes. Flick it off and try again and it fires.

Where it only happend once in a while it's pretty much happening all the time now which is a bit of a pita

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Is the orange light with the swiggle in the centre of the display staying on when it won`t crank?
@J273

syvYiTN.jpg

No that lights not on. Ive noticed the immobalizer light stays lit when it wont start as per the pic above. If i turn the ignition on and that light goes out i know it'll fire up. Like ive just been out to it to clean the relays ( Starter and fule pump relay) and it fired up staright away and on first turning the ignition on the light went out.

So does this mean its an immobalizer issue? or could it still be relay related?

Thanks

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
You said it started straight away after you cleaned the relays, so has it now reverted to it`s former behaviour?

As the orange centre light is not illuminated, from my own experience I would say that you DO have a 12v feed to the ECU, which was my problem.
It is NOT an immobilser problem, please pay particular attention to Mick & Mike`s contributions to this thread.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/bypassing-the-immobiliser-on-a-ph2-172.612962/
@J273

Ah thankyou. That threads helpful and the exact problem I have.

I'll check the wiring this weekend.

Thanks again

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Just coming back to this, It turned out to either be a relay problem or connection as i replaced the 3 relays pictured below and ive been using it for a couple of weeks and it seems fine now.

One thing ive noticed after changing the 3 is, my emissions light no longer comes on which has been doing randomly since ive had the car from new and the first few days after swapping them the car stank of eggs but this seems to have gone away now. As you can probably tell im clueless when it comes to cars. Anyone any idea why this was?

Thanks

AD5s8JGl.jpg

PH2 172
Just coming back to this, It turned out to either be a relay problem or connection as i replaced the 3 relays pictured below and ive been using it for a couple of weeks and it seems fine now.

One thing ive noticed after changing the 3 is, my emissions light no longer comes on which has been doing randomly since ive had the car from new and the first few days after swapping them the car stank of eggs but this seems to have gone away now. As you can probably tell im clueless when it comes to cars. Anyone any idea why this was?

Thanks

AD5s8JGl.jpg

Thanks for concluding this.
Relay G in the middle is the starter relay, so that make sense.
I found this thread with ECU pinouts, which you might find helpfull
if you have any problems in the future.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-182-upgraded-cps-loom-wiring-diagrams-ecu-pinout.790043/

Clio RS 172 2002
My 172 had a similar problem. I cleaned the big white socket, no change. When I looked that the crank sensor the plug wasn't seated properly. Fixed now.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ive suddenly started having this problem again its been fine for the past year then suddenly couple of weeks back it wouldn't start with the same thing happening as my first post.

The past couple of days its happened a few times. Strange how its suddenly started happening again? Ive switched around the 3 relays as above but nothing still the same. I might take a look at the crank sensor as @Vaughan mentions. Where is this located?

Many thanks