ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Limp Mode

Clio 172 Cup
Hi,

Did post this in the welcome forum but thought it chuck it in here too.

I have found a nice 182 for sale this weekend just gone, however on the verge of buying it today found that there was a major problem with the car. On the test drive I drove the car and found that it was low on power and hesitating; also the check engine light was on. The owner said he looked at the sparks and they were badly soiled with carbon - he said he would clean them up and then test it ready for Monday. During this time he tested and found that the car was driving fine.
Went today to have another look at the car Monday and upon taking it out for another test found that the car was once again low on power and that along with the CEL the electrical fault light was illuminated.

Majorly disappointing as I travelled a long way to view the car, however the owner said he would have a further look at the car and try to get it running properly.

My question is really, what would be causing these issues? I understand the CEL for bad performance but the electric warning light combined with the CEL is a bit of a weird one. A post on this forum mentions that the throttle pedal could be bad and causes this 'safe mode' and lights to appear. The owner has replaced the pedal for the can from the original as that was broken. Could that be the cause?

I will be plugging in an ODB2 when I next see it for a final viewing - hopefully its fully running as its a lovely example cosmetically wise.

Thanks

Dablyz

PH2 172
He has replaced throttle pedal because that was the fault code?It is probably corrosion in the wiring loom,mine was.It wont go over 3000 revs in limp mode.Mick at Diamond Motors fixed mine for about the cost of a pedal!Ignore any advice to replace throttle body or any other component untill an expert has looked at it.

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks Steve
he has replaced the throttle pedal with a black plastic one when he got the car, so that's what I suspect it could be that as it ties in with the two lights. He said he is going to try another pedal in there to see whether that helps.
It is intermittent when driving as although the CEL comes on the car does start to pickup and rev as normal but then has random spurts of low acceleration. I will let him know his suggestions and have a research

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Look for a different car without problems?

+1 . I wouldn't dream of buying a car that wasn't running right . Who's to say that there wouldn't be other , major problems in the near future . You could be potentially looking at a money pit . Look elsewhere , there are plenty for sale . It's no good having a car that looks good cosmetically but doesn't run properly . If the first seller saw the plugs were in that condition , why didn't he just put some new plugs in ? Walk away mate , from both cars .