ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - lumpy tickover

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

yep, its the same on 172/182 etc. Its the cams, to make sure it fits with emissions apparently?

yup there is a slight fluttering, due to the mild cams and the way the ECU controls fuelling/ignition. It is more noticeable when cold. Nothing to worry about its perfectly normal

Cheers dudes, I figured as much but thought Id ask just in case it isnt normal :) Actually I kinda like it, almost like its burbling away like a rally tuned sl*g :D

lol, not quite the lumpy as f**k sounds like it will stall lumpiness of a high cam lobed WRC car but i know what you mean lol

you want to hear rally sl*g sound, have a listen to Y0z2as cup with supersprint race zorst fitted (used to be on my 172 before he bought it off me) now that does sound like a rally car :D

yes but only a street system at the moment although i hear some rumours that a race system is in the pipeline, if so ill definately be getting one when it comes out. coilovers are next on the cards after my seats (should be turning up next week wooooohhhhhoooooo)

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine has started to idle badly when warm since they repaired my exhaust!! Its no worse than my 172 ever was though so Ill put up with it. They are going to check it out at the 12k service for me.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 22 January 2005

Mine has started to idle badly when warm since they repaired my exhaust!! Its no worse than my 172 ever was though so Ill put up with it. They are going to check it out at the 12k service for me.
???i will look out for that, is yours still noisey

Lee

BMW M2C

Yeah, a lot louder than it ever has been. Im liking it though, even though it is resonating a little.

Someone suggested they may have got some of that white gunk on one of the lambda sensors.

When you say "lumpy" what are we talking - Mine seems to sometimes rise to 2000rpm and then drops and then up, then down, etc... This happens along with the Temp Gauge all over the place - Its it a normal problem and nothing to worry about??

Quote: Originally posted by richi on 25 January 2005

When you say "lumpy" what are we talking - Mine seems to sometimes rise to 2000rpm and then drops and then up, then down, etc... This happens along with the Temp Gauge all over the place - Its it a normal problem and nothing to worry about??
^^thats not normal, they should sit at the same revs, but just feel a little lumpy i.e feels a little like it could stall, but not too bad,, you need to go to renault with that coz thats not right

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 22 January 2005

yup there is a slight fluttering, due to the mild cams and the way the ECU controls fuelling/ignition. It is more noticeable when cold. Nothing to worry about its perfectly normal
Well I imagine it could be amplified by the use of 95ron fuel seeing as the cars supposed to run on 98ron. If the ECU has to r****d the ignition timing to run on 95ron it could well make this more noticeable. I for one tend to just use 95ron and notice my car is pretty rough at idle when cold. Ill do a wee experiment running on 97 - 98 ron and see if it improves any!

Thanks guys - it is running on 95ron at the moment. Its booked in to see Renault for the second time next week as they seem to be reluctant to do anything other than clear a fault from the memory! They have said that unless its a permanent Fault when they run the diagnostic, they cant replace any parts......

Had a similar lumpy idle prob on my 182 coupled with lumpy running @ low speeds. Dealer traced it faulty spark plug which was replaced and the ECU was reset at the same time. Probably just a one off incidence but information for you all the same.

Quote: Originally posted by richi on 25 January 2005

Sounds like the coolent temp sensors failing/failed and causing the problem a new one will fix it.

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 25 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 22 January 2005

Well I imagine it could be amplified by the use of 95ron fuel seeing as the cars supposed to run on 98ron. If the ECU has to r****d the ignition timing to run on 95ron it could well make this more noticeable. I for one tend to just use 95ron and notice my car is pretty rough at idle when cold. Ill do a wee experiment running on 97 - 98 ron and see if it improves any!
Nothing to do with 95 RON the engine doesnt suffer from knock its not that highy tunned.