ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 miss fire on cylinder 1

Hello,
It's been about a 18mths since I finished a winter of rebuilding the top end on my 2005 182 cup. I was relieved when it fired up instantly first time yeaaahhhh!
thanks for all the help with that BTW :eek:)
and all was well, fun was had all around ... until ...... After about a year and 12K miles I started getting an engine warning light .... I asked around and searched here .... seems people have had this before ... and it always comes back to the injectors ... yes I noticed that :eek:)
Well I have checked the compression it's 180/195/180/180 for 1,2,3,4
I have checked and swapped around the plugs
I have changed the coil for new
I have changed the HT leads for new
I have changed TWO injectors for new for cylinders 1 & 2 ... after having tried swapping them around
nothing stops the error message..... always "miss-fire cylinder 1"
..... except curiously disconnecting the inlet manifold temperature sensor (because it's on the cylinder 1 inlet ... I'll try anything) ... then I get the error message for the temperature sensor but no miss-fire message ??? is there anything to that ???
The engine runs fine ... car goes like s**t of .... and the engine light goes off when driving at anything about 20mph .... basically it only comes on at or near idle or in stop/start traffic
any/all comments will be very welcome .... very frustrating !!!!
Wayne

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mine was downstream O2 sensor for similar issues, car ran perfect but engine light one

however code reader did point to O2 sensor, not something random

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Mines all fixed now. Swapped all 4 injectors off the track car and no problems now.

Seems the injector must of just been on its way out but still worked enough to change engine sound unplugged.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Check, check and double check the injectors before going any further. Luckily, mine died on pot 2 and a direct replacement sorted it out straight away. But I ended up replacing the other three not long after - especially as up to that point all of them were Day 1 items.

Heard some horror stories of people with other makes of cars where they have spent £££ trying to resolve what they thought was an injector issue. Only to come back several weeks later having tried other fixes, literally at their wit's end and recheck the injectors again...... and that fixes the problem.

Check, check and double check the injectors before going any further. Luckily, mine died on pot 2 and a direct replacement sorted it out straight away. But I ended up replacing the other three not long after - especially as up to that point all of them were Day 1 items.

Heard some horror stories of people with other makes of cars where they have spent £££ trying to resolve what they thought was an injector issue. Only to come back several weeks later having tried other fixes, literally at their wit's end and recheck the injectors again...... and that fixes the problem.
Darren ... I changed two injectors for new on cylinder 1 & 2 and still get the engine warning message for cylinder '1' ... is it possible that the injector for cylinder 3 or 4 could give the same message ..... i.e. message is for cylinder '1' whichever the injector is failing ??

Darren ... I changed two injectors for new on cylinder 1 & 2 and still get the engine warning message for cylinder '1' ... is it possible that the injector for cylinder 3 or 4 could give the same message ..... i.e. message is for cylinder '1' whichever the injector is failing ??
Hello Darren,
So two more new injectors finally arrived and despite my greatest hope ..... there is no change .... so 4x new injectors, 4x new HT leads, new coil, spark plugs <10Kmiles and checked and swapped around, compression tested (seems ok to me) ... still getting message miss-fire on cylinder 1 :eek: :eek:
Any tips on next steps would be very much appreciated :)

Back on it again this weekend ...... so ... after changing all four fuel injectors for new (no improvement) ... I tried the following .....
1. Disconnected two sensors on the front of the engine see photo ..... I assume the one top right (red/white leads) is the knock sensor with very awkward cable connector and the other left of oil filter with only one lead is ???? and I did not touch the one below the oil filter that I assume is an oil level sensor
results in no change to EML warning (misfire on cylinder 1) and engine always running well
2. O2 sensors - I tried to remove them to do a swap test but it seems to be impossible using an adjustable spanner with extension bar ~50cm .... pleased nothing broke ..... but nothing came undone either ... any tips will be very welcome
3. so tried just leaving the O2 sensors disconnected .... resulting in
post cat sensor = off => misfire on cylinder 1
pre cat sensor = off => O2 bank 1 error
both off => O2 bank 1 error
HELP!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_151719.jpg
    IMG_20190907_151719.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 174
Well for completeness ... in case someone comes back to this thread .... The car if fixed for the price of an inlet manifold gasket !!! seems there was a small leak, that was enough to confuse the electronics at tick-over with no load ...... IF you have the same problem it's a lot cheaper to start with this than injectors, etc.

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
A few weeks ago, I had the elm come on and it was misfire cyl 1, was running on three at any load and any speed. Bit the bullet and changed plugs, leads, coil pack and injectors (all renault parts). Car then ran fine, went on a good hour blast after. Been left in the garage for a month and it’s come back? What else could it be?