ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 N/S driveshaft

Clio 182
Is there a difference in driveshafts if I have a 182 cup suspension? Can I use a 172 driveshaft? Boot where bearning is leaking :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PH2 172
Is there a difference in driveshafts if I have a 182 cup suspension? Can I use a 172 driveshaft? Boot where bearning is leaking 😧

Which boot is leaking?
You should be able to replace the boot without the need to change the shaft.

Clio 182
Which boot is leaking?
You should be able to replace the boot without the need to change the shaft.
Ive been told that it's part of the driveshaft? It's the inner boot that stays still while shaft rotates.

PH2 172
Ive been told that it's part of the driveshaft? It's the inner boot that stays still while shaft rotates.

Not true.
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/gen...DC0p7EkpWQHMF$&vid=1247&cid=75604&uid=3233&q=
You may find a GKN boot on eBay at a better price, but to save the hassle of knocking the tripod off & back on, just get a £50 J&R shaft complete or a Shaftec R396L for somewhat more, but I can say Shaftec do last, 25k miles on mine to date.
And top up/change the gearbox oil when your done.

Clio 182
Not true.
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/gen...DC0p7EkpWQHMF$&vid=1247&cid=75604&uid=3233&q=
You may find a GKN boot on eBay at a better price, but to save the hassle of knocking the tripod off & back on, just get a £50 J&R shaft complete or a Shaftec R396L for somewhat more, but I can say Shaftec do last, 25k miles on mine to date.
And top up/change the gearbox oil when your done.
I'm not too bothered about knocking tripod off and on, I'm pretty well mechanically minded, only thing I'm wondering about is if it starts leaking again. £150 for a driveshaft will be reasonable if it does last and won't give me anymore hassle.
The link that you sent me won't open unfortunately.

Clio 182
@LeeRS had a similar issue. He’s just bought a complete driveshaft from j&r because he’s minted and money is no object.
How much is j&r drive shaft? What about getting one from euro or any other car part place? Surely there isn't a different shaft size option :/

PH2 172
How much is j&r drive shaft? What about getting one from euro or any other car part place? Surely there isn't a different shaft size option :/

£50, 182 cup has15mm wide abs rings, link works fine.

PH2 172
I'll ring my local part supplier tomorrow and see if he can get hold of one. Yes link does work fine, I think Tapatalk had a hicup.

J&R only sell direct from eBay, Andrew Page will supply Shaftec products.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Which ever side you think has gone, full lock to that side and drive your car. It should make a clicking sound.

No clicking sound but hard to tell over the exhaust. Any other ways with the car jacked up? Should there be movement?

Clio 182
J&R only sell direct from eBay, Andrew Page will supply Shaftec products.
Yea after a bit more digging I found their website too. Thanks for you help, I owe you guys a cuppa if we ever get a chance to meet haha

Clio 182
No clicking sound but hard to tell over the exhaust. Any other ways with the car jacked up? Should there be movement?
You can do it with car jacked up and full lock just by turning wheel. Also lift your driveshaft up and down to see if you got any excessive movement, in and out and also rotate it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Oh you bet my friend. Straight from Leeds.

Only local! Drop the teabag off yourself 😂. Any pics of your clio?

I think you're probably best for the price of a j&r shaft. Apparently they don't recommend for lowered cars but they do provide warranty. Just don't let them know it's lowered if the boot splits again. Apparently you can shave some off the block near the boot to stop it being so close and catching?

Clio 182
Only local! Drop the teabag off yourself 😂. Any pics of your clio?

I think you're probably best for the price of a j&r shaft. Apparently they don't recommend for lowered cars but they do provide warranty. Just don't let them know it's lowered if the boot splits again. Apparently you can shave some off the block near the boot to stop it being so close and catching?
Clio friend? Clio friend!! [emoji4] mines not lowered so I'm good ha.
61ca013fb1521f2b0e8ecd52d2c6022c.jpg