ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or 197?

Clio RS 182
How does the 197 compare to the 182 in terms of performance? Has anyone put them up against each other on a track run?

I had a look at the 197 the other day and must admit I loved the way the car looked, think its a better looking car. I am seriously tempted to swap however I am really enjoying the 182 and dont want to do something I will later regret.

Any thoughts, particularly from someone who has owned both would be appreciated.

Thanks

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
think this is going through most of out minds mate. i would be gutted to lose the cup if the 197 was pantz! grass was never greener befpre so i'm gunna have to stay put for now

Golf 7R
I have just gone from a 172 cup to a 197 and im simply amazed! I started out as the biggest hater of the 197 but a 2nd drive of a demo change my whole perspective. The brakes,seats,handling,looks are awesome, and from point to point felt as quick as my cup ( no kidding ) The attention it gets is amazing especially in Nimbus with black speedlines!

Best decision i have ever made, although i will miss my cup it was a joy to own!

ST
Had a 182, now have an R27...i miss little things that my 182 had that my R27 doesn't but those things become a distant memory very quickly when your caining down your fave back road when you feel how much more planted the 197 is over the 182..

Broken Diesel Megane :(
Had a 182, now have an R27...i miss little things that my 182 had that my R27 doesn't but those things become a distant memory very quickly when your caining down your fave back road when you feel how much more planted the 197 is over the 182..

gospel!!

even over my 172 cup which was pretty well set up for cornering, my 197 with just springs will go round corners even faster on my little "test" road.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
i think the one thing that's putting me off the 197 is the dash. it's so sparse compared to the mk2s

Clio RS 182
What about the power to weight ratio in the 197, I know it is a fair bit less than the 182, how noticeable is that on the road? Does the car feel a lot heavier or just as nimble? I am 90% sure that I am going to go for the 197 but there is still time for you lot to put me off the idea ...

ST
i think the one thing that's putting me off the 197 is the dash. it's so sparse compared to the mk2s

Ok son lay off the crack pipe for a bit...

What do you want a dash to have on it exactly??

My 197 has the 'soft touch' dash but the 197 cup and some of the lesser non sport models have a more plastic looking dash..

Not that it makes a difference when rinsing 1.2's and 1star2's anyway..

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member

Ok son lay off the crack pipe for a bit...

What do you want a dash to have on it exactly??

My 197 has the 'soft touch' dash but the 197 cup and some of the lesser non sport models have a more plastic looking dash..

Not that it makes a difference when rinsing 1.2's and 1star2's anyway..
it's just not as nice as the older ones imo. at the end of the day it's not really about the interior, but you want to be in a nice place when driving

ST
If i wanted to be in a 'nice place' when i'm driving i would've bought the E46 M3 i test drove before i got my R27..

Clio RS 182
I must say I am surprised by these interior comments. I think the interior is probably the poorest aspect about my 182. I have not seen the inside of the 197 but I guessed it would probably be an improvement. Your right though the interior is the least important thing about a car like this and doesn't mean that much to me ... how about the driving position, is that better/worse?

Clio RS 182
vote if u havent lol

I bet the voting ratio falls in line with the ownership ratio, i.e. most 182 owners would say 182, most 197 owners 197. I am really looking for advice from someone who has driven or even better owned both. End of the day I am sure they are both great cars, I just want to know whether I lose much performance moving to the 197 because although I love the looks the 182 is a great car to drive and if the 197 doesn't at least match it I wouldn't bother ...

vote if u havent lol

I bet the voting ratio falls in line with the ownership ratio, i.e. most 182 owners would say 182, most 197 owners 197. I am really looking for advice from someone who has driven or even better owned both. End of the day I am sure they are both great cars, I just want to know whether I lose much performance moving to the 197 because although I love the looks the 182 is a great car to drive and if the 197 doesn't at least match it I wouldn't bother ...

fair point to an extent, have you been on the rs forum? they may give you a better insight as to the downside of the 197, since you are correct in saying that a fair majority on here have 1*2's

Mark 1 Clio V6
I speak of the 197 with Cup Suspension.

It will match the 182 (or as good as in the real world) for performance.

It will go round a track quicker than a 182, due to better handling and brakes. As I understand it these attributes also allow it to be very close around a track as the 182 Trophy was.

If you can afford to change you won't be dissappointed.
On the other hand if you like the car you have, why not keep it?
Too many times have I changed car way too soon, only to regret it.

I do, however, love the 197 Cup and don't regret it at all.

LY R26
If the 197 is so good, why are all these magazines giving reviews that pretty much sum up "meh, its a nice car, but its nothing amazing"?

nothing personal or whatever to the 197 owners on this site, just wonder?

Monaco Blue 172
isnt the 197 the first mk clio ? with the horible square interior/exterior ? very cold feeling

i prefer 172/182 interior, just feels a whole lot warmer inside :)

Mark 1 Clio V6
Have you driven it?

I don't read many car magazines, but Top Gear gave the 197 Cup 17/20 and there was a great review of it in the new Performance Car mag.

It certainly looks better and is better built than the 172/182.

Clio RS 182
If the 197 is so good, why are all these magazines giving reviews that pretty much sum up "meh, its a nice car, but its nothing amazing"?

nothing personal or whatever to the 197 owners on this site, just wonder?

Is it not true that cars have moved on in just a couple of years since the 182? Would the 172/182 get the same reaction as it did if it was released now? I am not so sure. I keep reading mixed reviews on the 197, some have been like you say fairly average whereas other have been very complimentary about it. It is these mixed reviews which have led me to ask for opinions on this forum.

Mark 1 Clio V6
He gave it 3/5 in the Sunday Times supplement, but that review was a total waste of time. Clarkson is a pi$h journalist, but that's neither here nor there.

As I said Top Gear Magazine (which is not Jeremy Clarkson) gave it 17/20, which is only equalled/bettered by cars that are at least 4 times the cost of the 197 Cup (and no-one has paid cost for it either).

So; if you are basing your judgement on a magazine article; go read the Top Gear mag one and the 197 cup will soon enough, in your opinion, be one of the best cars available to buy at the moment and on a par with Aston Martin's, Porsche's and Lambo's.

Go and drive one instead of believing everything you read.

Every time I see a 197 it increases my admiration of the more compact and cuter design of the 1*2.
Can't wait to get one.

Burgandy 174 sport t
Having owned a few 1*2's and driven an r27 a few times recently I would say the r27 is far better, maybe not much in it speed wise but the r27 feels so much better doing it!

Clio RS 182
I thought Jeremy clarkson (top gear is he not?)
said the 197 was average/boring?

He was not that complimentaty about the 182 either, which really p*ssed me off because he could not have been more wrong about it. The bloke wouldn't know a decent car if it smacked him in the face!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Drove the R27 and went flat up the hill at cadwell...Put it this way the instructor was shitting himself! lol
Very planted and very well balanced chassis.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Drove the R27 and went flat up the hill at cadwell...Put it this way the instructor was s**tting himself! lol

Using all the grass were we;)

ST
I thought Jeremy clarkson (top gear is he not?)
said the 197 was average/boring?

See here: http://www.topgear.com/drives/D6/A2/roadtests/24/01.html

Having owned a few 1*2's and driven an r27 a few times recently I would say the r27 is far better, maybe not much in it speed wise but the r27 feels so much better doing it!

Even in the wet ;)

Drove the R27 and went flat up the hill at cadwell...Put it this way the instructor was s**tting himself! lol

Knowsit Beavis..

Clio RS 182
As I recall Clarkson WAS impressed by the 182 Cup. Mostly because of its feisty get up and go eagerness.
The review I saw he took the cronic p*ss out of it for half the time, saying it was made of tin and then at the end said the performance was quite mental and likened it to a pet dog. I thought it was a bad review personally. Def did not do such a great little car justice.

Black Gold with cup packs
That was the review. Funny how people only remember the good thigs said. He also said the interior was shite as well.