ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or Cooper S

Evening all,
so what would you rather have? 182 or Cooper S.

182 is faster and probably better in the twisties too, cheaper, but heavy depreciation. Cooper S, still cool (ish) better quality (at least the 05 seems to be) still quite nippy.

What would you choose? Im undecided!
Chive

CLIO 197 Ultra red

personally i would rather have the cooper s if it was my only means of transport. its comfy-er, like u say better built and they r bloody good fun too. i used to have a cooper and was sooo frustrated with the crappy engine in a awsome chassis.

for what i need at the mo the clio does everything i need it to.

Audi RS4

If I had to choose it would deffo be trhe cooper s,think they look top if theyve got the right extras on.Build quality is better cos youre getting a tiny bmw.Ive test driven a cooper before I got the clio and wasnt that impressed,but I presume the s is a far better car.If it wasnt for the cost of the xtras and limited rear space(got a 2yr old)I would be considering one next myself.

If they were the same money Id choose the MCS, but theyre not by a long way so I plumped for the Clio!

The MCS was very capable, but it didnt feel that quick due to smoothness of supercharger (and it was the Works version i test drove!) and it just felt a bit dull overall - pretty much like most Beemers Ive ever driven...

Matt

dont presume the extra you pay gets you better build quality. i used to work for BMW/MINI until very recently and the list of faults be they design issues recalls or build quality related was huge. they arent as fast, they cost alot more the superchargers and PAS pumps whine like f**k and the boot is non-existant.

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio

I test drove a mini cooper s and the clio, at almost the same time. i loved the cooper s, but then, i also loved the clio. It was a really hard choice, i went for the clio, one it was rated the best hot hatch by many, secondly the price. You really cant beat the spec on the 182 for the cash.

Ant

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 21 January 2005

dont presume the extra you pay gets you better build quality. i used to work for BMW/MINI until very recently and the list of faults be they design issues recalls or build quality related was huge. they arent as fast, they cost alot more the superchargers and PAS pumps whine like f**k and the boot is non-existant.
mine was one the first ones and it went back 5 times in a year for various squeeks, rattles, electrical faults and god knows what else.

absolutely loved it though. once u were driving u could forgive it anything. top car!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I very very nearly went for the Cooper S and i thank God i didnt.

I know all about the pros and cons of both but the list of standard equipment on the 182 along with the performance and the fact every other Mini you see seems to be a Cooper S swung it for me.

As far as depreciation goes....get the Cooper S if you have one eye on future values or the 182 if you want the best thrill seeking pound for pound smiley face making car for under 20k.

I decided if making money or losing as least as possible was a priority then buying a new car is madness whatever badge you buy.

I looked into them all and wanted the best hot hatch under 20k out there,thats why i have a 182 sitting in my garage :D

Ask the same question on the mini forum and the answer will be totally different if they can fit an answer in between doing blue rinses and perms :D

I almost went for a Cooper S with union jack roof...i retch and almost vomit at the thought now :sick:

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

i still gotta cancel my cooperS! i had a 8 month waiting list, so got bored and ordered a 182. i might be working at bmw soon tho, so may sway to a jcw, if i get discount. tho i wanna tune me 182

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member

the mini is awful!

based on an iron block single overhead cam 1.6 (ROVER!!!!) engine really!

every single mini owner i know has had hefty HEFTY warranty work, one has even gone through 4 gearboxs at 55,000 miles, id avoid!

cheers
ad

(182 ;))

Yaris Hybrid

Where did this amazing Mini build quality come from?

They are made in ex BL/Austin factories by ex BL/Austin workers I think I am right in saying?

Therefore its just an evolution of the Allegro/Metro?!!!?

How did sticking a BMW badge on it suddenly boost the build quality and reduce depreciation!!! Thats magic!

wot scares me is specing the copper s up. To get a reasonable spec its £1600 on top of the £15200 for the car :eek:
The only sweatener I guess is the tlc package at 150 notes for 5 years or 400 for eight.

The other things that worries me is the £1500 bill I have heard about several times for new clutch for the coop S ! :eek: Apparently its expected for a "sports car" wtf! lol

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 21 January 2005

its actually a chrysler engine. but still the fact remains its sh*te.

not that i doubt you mate, just not what i heard!

but yeh its utter shee-hite

cheers
ad

must admit i hadnt priced up a clutch job while i was there but pretty much the whole front end of the car has to be unbolted to get the engine out and you need to remove it to change the clutch. i think i specced a MCS up to the same level as a 182 is as standard and it came to about 18.5k and you wont get discount out of a mini dealer.

Elise/VX220/R26

182 is a better overall car than the cooper s especially when when you take price into consideration, a lot of what you pay for mini is the bmw brand. Personally I think they have a bit of an image problem, its always fekkin teachers and middle aged men tthat seem to have them. Not a cool car.

BTW to put it in prespective you can get a 2 year old VX220 turbo for 18.5k!!!!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC

I loved my cooper S, only problem was, it drank like a fish with a drink problems (25-28 MPG regularly).

Would definately have another one though, lovely to drive & so much fun.

RB182cup&golf gti

cooper ss are lovely, but so are 182s, for driving i would say 182, for comfort and looks a cooper s in gunmetal grey (or dark metallic silver as they call it)

BMW 120i Sport

Sorry to say, all this talk about "BMW build quality" is rubbish. I went to look at a Mini Cooper last weekend and I was shocked at the build quality - my mate and I agreed that it wasnt close to the 182.

I test drove both when i was choosing a new car to buy, and eventually decided on the 182.

Admittedly i had owned a Clio before and obviously its cheaper, but still I was very impressed with how complete it was in its equipment. The Cooper S is a funky little car but I would still choose my 182 today.

Minis are just common as dirt, thats a fact. On paper theres not much between them, but I reckon the 182 would attract more glances than a Cooper S.

Conclusion - Dont shell out for the badge. 182 all the way!

Yep the MCS was the other car I considered

But to get to 182 performance and spec it would have had to be a Works one with god knows what options added - prob £20k or so for a 6 month old one?

Nice cars but I paid around half that for my Clio!!!!

106 GTi

Also looked and drove the cooper S before ordering the 182, I couldnt have lived with the minis interior full stop.

However great the mini may me, its still an icon wannabe trying to capitalise on the image of the old mini and the whole 60s thing... look at the people who drive them: washed-out 60s havebeens trying to recover their youth. And my God theyre common!

Mini Cooper S sport

It looks like a lot of Clio owners have had the 172/182/Cooper S dilemma. I went for the 172 - you just get more car & toys for the cash, even if the Minis do hold their value better.

I thought the Minis looked amazing when they first came out, but now it seems like theyre more common than Clios!

My vote - 182 all the way *in inferno ;)*.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 21 January 2005

Where did this amazing Mini build quality come from?

They are made in ex BL/Austin factories by ex BL/Austin workers I think I am right in saying?

Therefore its just an evolution of the Allegro/Metro?!!!?

How did sticking a BMW badge on it suddenly boost the build quality and reduce depreciation!!! Thats magic!

Not heard that thought they would be made in BWM factories? No evelution of anything its a new car trying to sell on a PROPER minis name and it seem to be working

Id go 182 and save some cash :)