ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or CTR?

RB 200 Cup!
182 silly! cos they are magical

dunno bout civics never dirven one - altho they look like bread vans

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
You need to drive both.Ive only driven one and that was an 03 plate.Gearchange was lovely,way better built but could get used to giving it all or nothing to get it to go anywhere

went for the 182 in the end as it was cheaper and was more fun

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i wanted a ctr but the insurance was crazy so i bought the 182 which i dont regret. mine doesnt rattle atall where as my 172 did

Cup'd Monaco 172
Depends on mileage.

CTR is better for big mileage.
Clio is cheaper, maybe more fun, but will fall to bits if driven a lot or hard.

Z4
Conclusion....
Performance they're pretty much equal, if anything the civic is slightly better 90+.
The civic has much better build quality, and will be more reliable.
The clio is cheaper
The civic will depreciate less
Everything else depends on what YOU want from the car

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Despite what people say on here they are def quicker in a straight line and pretty much match the 182 round the track.

CTR better built, quicker, nicer interior. Cons: expensive, looks?, steering feedback

182: almost as quick, higher spec, more fun factor, handling, cheap! Cons: build quality, interior, relaibility compared to CTR.

Not driven CTR but i'd like to own one. Personaly I think they are the better car.

am I the only one who drove the CTR and thought it was hillarious how you can't actually feel what the car is doing, almost like the steering wheel wasn't connected. Ruined the car, had it's good points but that fatal flaw imo

Scirocco GT 210
Despite what people say on here they are def quicker in a straight line

Not in my experience, they're the same speed.

As for this build quality people keep raving on about, you've only got to go on a CTR forum to discover that CTRs rattle too! Build quality isn't that good, but it is better than a clio's though (not difficult). Reliability is better too as long you keep an eye on engine oil levels. :clown:

The CTR is bigger and will have a bit more of a feel of quality about it. If you've already owned a clio, then why not try the CTR? However, the only way to decide properly is to go out, test both and see which you prefer.

cock mobile.
CTR is basically a tw*t wagon

PMSL.

willcrook: I agree that the steering feel when cornering isn't great, sadly a problem most hot hatches suffer from these days, the 182 is much better.

However at speed, say 100+ Ponies the Clio is bloody scary, it's then you realise that Reno just slapped in a big engine and went to lunch. The CTR is much more solid at higher speeds.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
The Honda would be my choice. Build quality is much better. They never breakdown. The Vtec is a fantastic bit of engineering.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
182 all day long.

Ctr, thin paint, shocking in the wet, garages are worse than renault in my area, lot worse mpg.

a thirsty one
ihad the same dileema last year, tst drove a few ctr's at local dealers and was tempted with one of the end of run anniversary models red carpet, different buckets and tinted rear glass as std. the problems are that the paint is thin and just not finished very well, in the wet it can be a bit tricky, insurance was about £100 a year more and £ for £ they were more expensive and you dont get many toys either just that engine and 6 gears (by the way heard a lot of trouble with the gear boxes basically not being enough room for 6 gears they really crammed all the cogs in and some people have problems with them) i joined a civic typre r forum to do some research which was quite useful.

i picked the 182 as got more car for my money, xenons, climate control, cruise control etc etc for the same money a ctr would have been about 18 months older and more miles with less gear.

Snotter's
very close imo.182 looks better,cheaper to mod and makes you feel more connected and gives better feedback.

Engine and gearbox on the ctr are miles ahead of the 182,sound really nice but quite expensive to mod and fairly poor mpg.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The Honda would be my choice. Build quality is much better. They never breakdown. The Vtec is a fantastic bit of engineering.

lol you want to read some Honda forums................

Its a myth. ALL car manufactures have problems.

my mates brother has an ek9 type r. thats the one i would have. its simply outstanding. goes like stink, handles amazing, sounds great, will last forever and looks mint. he raced a 182 and the 182 came to an embarassing defeat im ashamed to say being a clio lover.

106 GTi
Drive both and see - the CTR has some good points and some bad, as does the 182. The playstation steering on the CTR swang it to the 182 for me.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
my mates brother has an ek9 type r. thats the one i would have. its simply outstanding. goes like stink, handles amazing, sounds great, will last forever and looks mint. he raced a 182 and the 182 came to an embarassing defeat im ashamed to say being a clio lover.

Its true i have gone against a type R flat out in my previous 182 and they just slowy crawl away so by the time you count over 120 jelly babies on your dash the CTR is about 5-6 car lengths a head.

This has happend more than once. They just have the edge but in reality there is not alt in it.

End of the day the Clio will give you more bang for your buck..

Anyway you should not compare the CTR to a clio, you should compare it against a turbo meggy as they are the same class. A clio is just a hot super mini.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6

Its true i have gone against a type R flat out in my previous 182 and they just slowy crawl away so by the time you count over 120 jelly babies on your dash the CTR is about 5-6 car lengths a head.

This has happend more than once. They just have the edge but in reality there is not alt in it.

Anyway you should not compare the CTR to a clio, you should compare it against a turbo meggy as they are the same class. A clio is just a hot super mini.

Rick try giving it ago in my(EX) mk1 172, You will be surpised lol.

Titanium 182
For me the CTR just lacks life

There is no VA VA VA VA VOOOOOOOOMMM lol

Every time i get in the clio 182 and drive i always get looked and smiles of people, it makes me smile to driving it

Its the fun factor at the end of the day something the 182 has, its one thing the CTR will never have tbh

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Drive both, that will help you make up your mind. I drove both 3 years ago and bought a 182. The main factor for buying the 182 was that it was £4k cheaper brand new and full of bells and whistles. Had that 18 month but the shocking dealerships, annoying rattles and warrenty work ultimately did it for me. I then bought the CTR and have never looked back.

CX-7,westfield,ix20

I'll second that...

I looked at both but went for a 182 in the end cos for the same price the clio I could afford was a couple of years newer and went just as well.

Was also more fun to drive and I actually though the clio was quicker during 'normal driving'. Seemed much better for nipping about and a wee blast on a country road whereas the civic only seemed to be quicker in a LONG straight line.

In normal conditions (ie. mixed roads) the clio will be a bit quicker I think and more fun while you're at it.

David

Suzuki Ignis Sport
what i am looking for in the next car is

might have to be bigger than my current... (which kind of leaves the 182 in the cold) coz its about the same size, but the 'fun factor' helps.

bigger engine

red :)