ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Questions

Hi everyone

Am new here. Have taken a 182 out for a test drive, was impresssed. Very tempted to order one up.

Only thing putting me off was the build quality. Now I know Renaults arent exactly known for quality engineering, just wanted to know how unreliable are they??

Can put up with squeaks n rattles no probs, just dont want a car that never starts thats all

172 Cup

Its not build quality that the problem its just the finish that lets them down. Ive had a mk2 172 and a Cup and never had any engine probs.

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 14 July 2004

wheres the other 181 questions? guffaw!
DOH!!!

Have been drinking since 2 this afternoon. am off to Greece tmrw morning for 2 weeks

Renault usually have poor build relating to electrics and noises.

So the car will start all the time but you find the dash rattling etc.

All part of the Clios charector.

Hi DavidH, perhaps this will answer your questions.

Like yourself I was worried bout the build quality on the car, but I brougt one anyway because we have another car in the house and its under warranty if anything mega happens...

Your find with a 182 (well my 182) that you get small rattles (like the dash board) and that sometimes the suspension will make a strange sound.. but again nothing mega like a BANG !

HAving seen all these issues on the test drive the reason I brought the car was when I had finished and pulled up in the dealers I was visibly shacking and my girl friend was crying.... I knew right then I had to have one.

If however on your test drive you got out and thought .. "not bad" or something simular then dont bother.

Arctic Blue 182

davidh,

Hi, Ive just bough a 182, had it since Monday after owning a Mk1 172 for 3 and a half years. The jump in quality inside the car is a big one. It feels tighter and screwed together better, although I do reckon those screws will come loose in time. Ok so I have a couple of imperfections in the new paintwork and the glovebox door/lid doesnt fit quite right (as in all clios), but its the performance and driving experience and fun factor you pay for. Touch wood, Ive never had a mechanical or electrical prob with my old 172, and at the moment things are going well with my 182. Like a previous post said, its how you felt when you test drove it that should determine whether you buy one. From my experience, theyre reliable enough if a little rough and unfinished round some edges.

My view is that its a trade off between the fun factor versus the frustration factor. Will that dash rattle, suspension clunk, engine cover buzz drive you nuts or will you forget it as you revel in the handling, grip and on-cam shove over 5k?

From my experience with a new Mini Cooper in 2001 and the one week with the RS 182 - the 182 is a better designed and built product which may have soem irritating faults but is basically sound. The MINI was fundamentally flawed and the original buyers (me!) were product development guinea pigs.

Clio 197

Did 12k in a 182 before selling it.

V reliable. Good economy (considering how quick it is). Only used 2mm of tread in 12k miles!

Interior started rattling like a tin of peanuts. Not the quietest of cars (meaty tyres and meaty engine to blame). Speakers are rubbish (change-em). No spare (but a wheel will fit snuggly in the boot).

Went to scotland (500 miles) (only stopping once to re-fuel), and it was v.comfy (apart from road/engine noise).

Mixed bag, really.. I would have kept mine it it werent for my high mileage!

Collected my new 182 this morning with the same nagging thoughts and was expecting to be disappointed.

Gave her a very good thrash for first 20 miles as per recommendations for running in and then settled down to calmer driving to listen for rattles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all quiet. Is also far quieter than I remember from the test drive. Only sound was my son laughing hysterically and uncontrollably in the front seat.

Seems very well put together, no problems at all so far.

Previous car was a Mk4 Golf GTI ( stolen ) and this is the replacement. Is not up to that standard but that is not why I bought it.

Quote: Originally posted by langers on 15 July 2004

the reason I brought the car was when I had finished and pulled up in the dealers I was visibly shacking and my girl friend was crying.... I knew right then I had to have one.
Same as. Her = looked like a ghost. Me: shaking like a leaf. Sometimes you _just_know_!! 100 more miles til i begin to show my 182 what was bought for - cant wait.... Shes a darling.x

Astra VXR 17/05/07

No problems with mine and with 3 years warranty im not worried either.I dont have any issues with build or quality to be honest.

Great car,great fun and great to own one.