ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 racing blue or trophy...help me choose

Nissan 370Z
hi guys, some of you may remember i used to own middo's black clio a while ago.

i now have around 6-7k to spend and i cant choose between the racing blue, with turinis or trophy?

can anyone help me on my decision?

thanks

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've owned both the cars above. Trophy, no question. You won't miss any of the 'toys' (ie auto wipers that don't really work) but you'll enjoy driving it massively.
Personally, I'd rather a 172 on coilovers than a Trophy.

I've owned both the cars above. Trophy, no question. You won't miss any of the 'toys' (ie auto wipers that don't really work) but you'll enjoy driving it massively.
Personally, I'd rather a 172 on coilovers than a Trophy.

Indeed. The fabled 'toys' suck major league c**k. In fact anything designated as 'auto' in the Clio, generally requires more driver input than the manual items. The xenons look nice, but the standard lamps light the road better, and actually work without flickering on & off, or turning funny shades.

The Trophy is the only sensible choice. Saying that, I've never driven one but, I'd take the better suspension setup and Recaro chairs any day over annoying gadgets and Cup chairs covered in plastic.

Trophy #490
Trophy every single time. I actually had a deposit down on a Racing Blue 182 with all the toys, then I drove my Trophy and bought that immediately. It really is that good! Never looked back, and I did nearly 30,000 miles in it, all with a stupid big grin on my face. Just hope my R26 can live up to it now!
If you buy one, ask if the dampers have been refurbed. Not a huge cost if they haven't, but I know a few that have had them done between 30k-40k miles and it's just better to keep them maintained for peace of mind if anything. Fantastic little car in every way, haven't got a bad word to say about them. It was actually worth the £2k+ insurance I used to fork out as an 18/19 year old, big compliment that! Gorgeous car, and the colour when clean is one of the best.

Nissan 370Z
thanks guys, i mean id love a 197 just as i have driven one and they feel so solid but theres no chance i can afford one.
ill wait for a few nice trophies to come up and ill start enquiring, id like one with a milltek exhaust or orb on it too!

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
trophy. Not that i an biased. Its a great car and you do feel special whenever you see your plaque. I have a few thousand miles under my belt now and it just gets more and more fun! Re refurb you can tell if they need a rebuild by a gap between the bridge between the oil reservoir and the main damper. Should be 5mm any less and the gas has lost pressure. Harry from evo started a thread on it on the t forum. Ed

Trophy #490
Would of been better in white with the anthracite Turini's, but personally I love Capsicum Red, really really nice colour when it's shiny. Looks brilliant when the sun is on it, and when it's overcast and dull.

Only thing I wish it had was xenons.

Owned both - only one winner.
Before 196 only ever kept a car for 2 years at the most before - got no desire to sell after nearly 4 years........

S3, Polo
Get a mint, low-mileage 172 Cup, and whack on some ASTs and fit some Recaro Sportster-CS's.

Then spend the remaining ££££ on other fun stuff?

OR

Buy a TROPHY

SPV

197 Cup
Trophy, drive both and you'll see why. The Recaros etc bring a higher quality feel. I drove both before getting mine as I really wanted the RB182, but for the cash the Trophy offers so much more...