ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Rattle 3k RPM +

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

I have been reading up on this rattle but found various bits of information. Although non conclusive in my particular instance.

Currently, there is an audible metallic rattle coming in around 3krpm up to the redline. As you can imagine this is quite annoying.

However, one important thing I have noticed is that if I rev it stationary, or moving on the clutch, it does not rattle. Only rattles with gear engaged.

Bits I have changed for other reasons but are sometimes related:

New Scorpion exhaust system
New genuine cat bolts (Although didn't change the gasket).

Hope someone can shed some more definite light on this. I am struggling to find time to take it down the garage atm.

Cheers,
Amos

Megane RS250
Nah, the exhaust brackets under the car. The one dead centre of the cars the one that was lose for me. Worth a look when the engine is running to see if its giving it the old shaky jake

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Think I've stumbled across the problem:
2012-10-15 18.06.30.jpg

2012-10-15 18.06.38.jpg

I take it its the ECU bracket that is causing the rattle?

What's the best solution and from where?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Check the sway bar between the alternator and the block. I have no bolt in there and it rattles at 3k (although not at the minute as I tightened the other end up but it's starting again!!)

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
When I had this, it turned out to be one of the joins on the catalytic converter; it can be either the one from the cat to the rest of the system, or the manifold to the cat. Had the exact same symptoms as you, only did it in gear from about 3k rpm onwards. Solved when I got both joins done with the proper cat fitting kits from Renault.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Yeah but that's not what my rattle is/was (and my ecu bracket is in the same state) get a penny or similar in there and tighten it up. #pikeyfix

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I get a rattle at 3k that disappears almost straight away, either above or below 3k. Wonder if it's any of the above suggestions, will check tomorrow!

172 PH1
Ready everyone? Word society!

R E N A U L T

Rattles Everytime Never Awesome Under Light Throttle

haha that cane straight to me....

i'll get me coat...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
lol at other hi-jacking your thread. My ECU is the same as yours and it dosnt casue a rattle. Other things that did casue rattle on mine was the engine cover and also a
loose fuel rail gard. Best thing to do is get someone to rev the eingine for you with the bonnet up, so you can pinpoint the rattle.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Is it a knockong banging noise or just a light rattle? Maybe worth checking your engine mounts!

More than likely the cat to manifold joint though, one of the spring bolts is probably a bit lose?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Is it a knockong banging noise or just a light rattle? Maybe worth checking your engine mounts!

More than likely the cat to manifold joint though, one of the spring bolts is probably a bit lose?

It's a metallic 'light' rattle that builds with the revs.

I changed the Cat bolts with genuine Renault ones about 3 weeks ago which didn't fix it. However I didn't change the gasket because of time restraints, so maybe the current gasket is too thin and creating some play in the new bolts.

I've just fixed the ECU bracket so will see if thats solved it on the way home tonight. Not optimistic though.

Golf PD130
I need to change my cat bolts too. How much were they from Renault, and how easy is it to replace the lot + gasket?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thwy werent very much at all. Less than £20 iirc. I put mine to a garage to get done cause its pretty awkward on the 172

2014 Clio 200t edc
It's a metallic 'light' rattle that builds with the revs.

I changed the Cat bolts with genuine Renault ones about 3 weeks ago which didn't fix it. However I didn't change the gasket because of time restraints, so maybe the current gasket is too thin and creating some play in the new bolts.

I've just fixed the ECU bracket so will see if thats solved it on the way home tonight. Not optimistic though.

Have you checked the bar between the alternator and the block? That is worth a try, it's the cause of my rattle and a few other rattles recently.

Clio 182
My ECU bracket is exactly the same and doesn't cause a noise like this. Anyone got a proper fix for this? Or is it a case of replacing?