ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 rebuilt , And now it sounds like a Subaru ??? HELP

54 plate Clio 182 ,
My power steering belt shredded and then sent it's self into the timing belt , bending all 16v's
ive had it rebuilt and it idles perfectly , and it's pulling fine , ( haven't booted it as I'm still running it in )
what's throwing me , is the fact it never sounded like this before it bent the valves .
the garage replaced a full gasket set , timing belt and pulleys ,
power steering pump , oil filter and oil !
its really puzzling me :-(

54 plate Clio 182 ,
parts come to around £350 ' and a garage charged £490
on idle it doesn't sound like a Subaru , but at low revs and whilst accelerating it's really sounding like a boxer engine !
Will get video now

54 plate Clio 182 ,
Been told to run in the valves as they're tight :-/ and new !
dont know what order they're ment to be on ?? will take a pic now under the hood

parts come to around £350 ' and a garage charged £490
on idle it doesn't sound like a Subaru , but at low revs and whilst accelerating it's really sounding like a boxer engine !
Will get video now

That's cheap.

Where genuine parts used?

Did they time it all correct using the right tools?

Was the dephaser changed?

I'd try the obvious first as stated with HT leads.

54 plate Clio 182 ,
Would it still run fine ?
the engine sounds smooth on light throttle , when I give a little more acceleration it sounds like a boxer engine . And no weren't genuine parts unfortunately .
would it idle fine even if the ht leads are in the wrong order ,
cheers for your help guys . As this is really puzzling me :-/

54 plate Clio 182 ,
I've been told it sounds lovely , but it didn't make this noise before it was rebuilt :-s ! it's breaking me !! lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That really is random, it does properly sound like a scooby.

As you say, if the belt was out badly timing wise I would expect it to idle poorly not sound like that.

Surprised you got that much work done for what you paid.

Not sure what you are running in, or did you have new rings as well?

The garages comment about valves being tight and needing to be run in inspires little confidence in me, valves shouldnt require any running in, and presumably at that price you didnt buy new valves anyway? Or did you get some nasty pattern cheapy things? If so personally its not the route I would have taken TBH.

Go back to the garage and ask them is your best bet, if they have the car in front of them then they should be able to work it out.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Not-bad-meme.jpg

Sorry but I have nothing helpful to add either lol!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going out on a limb and saying that my k4m sounded exactly like a scooby when a coil pack broke down

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Indeed. Or that sensor thing on the side of the inlet plenum fell out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Injector, changed one of mine out on my clio the other day at it sounded the same.

Either injector faulty, or injector wiring not connected properly, or the leads on wrong are the most common reason for weird noises and running issues on these cars IME, but that said Ive never had one sound quite like that seems to.

54 plate Clio 182 ,
The garage was doing me favour in all honesty by keeping the price down , and he is also a mate !
ive looked up on timing issues , and I'm thinking the timing must be out ! I know the car ain't right .
No I didn't have new rings , but I'm now thinking that I don't think he understands these clio's and they're vvt!
I had all new valves which were £11 each I think :-/ I rang him shortly after to say it sounds like a Subaru and he replied ' it's because the valves have been re-bed , and they're possibly tight :/ it's breaking my heart listening to her this way , as I haven't long over paid £3500 for the girl :-(

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Its misfiring because the valves have been re-bed ?

FLOL.

Remove this nugget from your Christmas card list.

Good lord.

Take the inlet off. Check the HTs are going 1-1, 2-2 etc... if they are .. get a code reader and find out if the injectors are throwing any codes.

BTM or SJM are closest to you I think .. Hit up the traders section.

54 plate Clio 182 ,
Weird thing is , is that it's not FEELING as if it's miss firing ! you would feel a misfire . But this is quite smooth when driven :-/ it's puzzling my head and now it's starting to hurt a little :-s

Does the engine management light flash?

As said already get it on a code reader and see what it throws up.

how many miles you done since the head was done ? and did she sound like that from turn of the key,if its still pulling sweet doubtful its a miss ,did your man use cheep locking gear or renault/top notch tooling wouldn't be unheard of and that'd throw it out a nats? .mates rates got to love them buy cheap buy twice.

54 plate Clio 182 ,
I've done around 100miles . And it sounded like this as soon as I drove off ! I know he wouldn't have used top notch renault tools , as he is a kind of back street garage , he told me he would have it pucka :-(

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Now that I think of it, when my 182 sounded a bit lumpy it turned out to be a faulty injector, got them all refurbed and it was fine.