ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 RON

What petrol do you fellow 172/182 drivers run your cars on. It says RON 98 recommended on the petrol cap, Ive been putting RON 97 in, what difference will it make (is it just performance or can it knacker the engine).

BMW 120i Sport

Weekly petrol thread then.

I asked this a couple of weeks ago, i use optimax and its fine for me. Not tried 95 ron, although the general opinion is that it wont do any harm.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i personally like to keep my car in top form so it always gets fed on optimax, sod the price, its a performance car, if i was a tight git i would have bought a diesel

Yaris Hybrid

LMAO here we go again!

I think 97 is fine to be honest but Renault say 98 RON so might as well use Opti.

The 95 RON budget petrol boys will say different because their "mate Dave knows about cars and said it dont make no difference".

Renault been making cars for a hundred years (hell what do they know!) and no French oil companies sell 98 RON in this country so I think you can trust them on this one!

If you do 200 miles a week and average 35mpg I dont think 5p a litre more is going to hurt you. If it does then you seriously own the wrong car for your disposable income or should cut back on the fags and booze!

thats what I thought when I drove out of my way to find a shell Garage, I turned around and headed back to Sainsburys to put super in.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by hotdog on 21 April 2005

thats what I thought when I drove out of my way to find a shell Garage, I turned around and headed back to Sainsburys to put super in.
Have a look on their website, it will show the nearest one with Optimax. There aint one that close to my house but I actually pass one on the way home from work so can detour in.

Often though I take my car out on a weekend just for the hell of it (thats the whole point in buying a 182) and I like to do a long journey to compensate for all the short journeys and stop start commuting. I use the opportunity to drive off to the Shell garage.

172 cup

As said before if you could afford to buy a 172/182 then paying an extra 5p per litre isnt gonna break the bank.

Clio 172 Mk2

I dont know if 98RON makes the car any more quicker or responsive.

One thing I have DEFINATELY noticed is that it makes the car tickover smoother and the engine sounds smoother under hard acceleration.

Ive used optimax this week on my daily 50 mile commute...

It lasted longer than the Esso 95 ron stuff I had been using the 2 weeks previous so the difference in price in relation to distance covered has more than paid for increase.

Like above the car runs so much smoother too.

Quote: Originally posted by jaf78 on 21 April 2005
As said before if you could afford to buy a 172/182 then paying an extra 5p per litre isnt gonna break the bank.

remember the 172/182 is a relatively cheap car. insurance is expensive and i compare the petrol price more to insurance. if you have a car thats costing you £150 to insure then its obviously not needing opti but a car that can cost as much as £1900 to insure can benefit from the extra money spent.

one other thing is that the engine is mapped for use with 98RON petrol which is why supermarket cack users get a lumpy idle. always do what they tell you to do i say.

i never once suffered a lumpy idle or lack of power and i only ever used optimax about 3 times in 30+k

people worry too much its not a turbo car its not expencive so stop worrying about it all imho ofcourse

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 22 April 2005
i never once suffered a lumpy idle or lack of power and i only ever used optimax about 3 times in 30+k

people worry too much its not a turbo car its not expencive so stop worrying about it all imho ofcourse

Next time your down south Ill prove it!!!

Ok well I guess they must recommend 98 just for fun then?

Ive read that theres more risk of pinking using 95RON, but I dont know that its true. As mentioned above, its mapped for 98...so I use 98, just like the big green sticker in the filler flap tells me to ;)

106 GTi

AFAIK the ECU will adjust settings when use with 95ron to prevent pinking. 98 ron will allow the proper performance settings to be used without any sensors saying no due to pinking. Ill stick with my Optimax.

tiTTy & SV650

it does when you drive 600+ miles a week and 98 ron costs 98.9p per litre where you stay.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay on 22 April 2005

AFAIK the ECU will adjust settings when use with 95ron to prevent pinking. 98 ron will allow the proper performance settings to be used without any sensors saying no due to pinking. Ill stick with my Optimax.
yes it retards the timing so id think you should stick with what you normally use be it 95 97 or 98 ron, that way your timing wont be changing every week just cause youve been paid and feel you can afford optimax.

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 22 April 2005

it does when you drive 600+ miles a week and 98 ron costs 98.9p per litre where you stay.
...and wheres all this +5p a litre extra stuff.

I always used to think that was the difference but now Im actually putting SUL in I find its 11p a litre more around here (Perth)

Optimax is great. Used it all the time in my CTR and on the rare occasion that I put anything else in, the car felt nowhere near as responsive. In my current car (Celica GT4) I have to use super as its a Jap import and in Japan they use 100 RON, Optimax is the closest, closely followed by BP Ultimate but where I live Optimax is 88.9p, BP 96.9p!!!! Strange thing though is that car feels quicker with Optimax but smoother with BP Ultimate.

Clio 182 / Lotus Elise S1

I use Optimax when I can otherwise BP Ultimate or other super unleaded. Ocasionally have had to put it 95 RON when I get caught short. IMO Optimax makes the car much more responsive! I do about 500 miles a week but I think its worth the extra few quid a week filling it with Optimax! :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 22 April 2005
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">I do 2 half tanks of esso sul to every 1 half tank of optimax. 

I got this result when I tried it a couple of weeks back with esso super unleaded!