ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 running rough at startup

Anybody else having problems with their 182 running rough,jerky for the first few minutes after they start up in the morning or after its been sitting for a few hours?

I took mine back to Renault and their findings on the fault were---"nothing shows up on the computer dont know what it could be" great help.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Its the norm.
Same on the 172 as well.

Apparently its down to the cams, causes lumpiness at idle.

Volvo S60 T5

It is normal, its to do with the car having to meet emission regulations, so it runs as weak as possible when cold.(something like that anyway)

Mines a complete f**ker since I have modded it on initial start up, but after a min or 2 its ok and drives well

yeah, mines jerky for the first couple of mins of driving, funny throttle response, but as soon as she warms up a little shes her usual spritely self.

my 182 comes good noticable about 1 minute after starting up.. the 172 before took about two minutes.. there was certain place down the road where i would think, yep about now itll... woooooaaahh there she goes

:)

Mini Cooper S sport

I find the first couple of gear changes are very jerky after its been parked all day or overnight, then after that its fine.

My 172 was bad for a couple of minutes driving too when started from cold, even worse when cold but been in the sun all day. Recently Superchipped it and is much better now:D. Other halfs 172 also bad when cold. Seems the norm.

Mine (172) does it too - sitting stationary after startup it feels lumpy as. Might just be my imagination but mine runs worse from a cold startup when using normal fuel rather than optimax?

mine is jerky when cold, but never sounds like a bag of bolts - quite the opposite - sweet as a nut - i would check oil level if i were you?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

When cold I dont get any lumpiness at all, but for the first five minutes it "hunts" at part-throttle around 2.5-3.0 k rpm. Very disconcerting...press the throttle, nothing, press more, still nothing, then all of a sudden it shoots off!

Could this be because Ive got a R-Sport ECU?

its the norm

what amazes me is that even though they all do it and lots of people take them back to the dealer the dealer doesnt just say they all do it and its due to ..............

instead they take it off for you for a day plug it in to the computer to find a non existant fault and give it back saying its fine.

why waste both parties time?

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

yep, mine same.

what i do is start it up and leave it for 2 minutes without touching accelerator. when you set off after 2 mins should be spot on.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

lumpy idle = slightly mild cams (will still sound lumpy after 5 minutes)
Jerkyness/stuttering until about 2.5-krpm = Euro emmisions program in ECU and is normal.

Once again its nice to know they all do that

How many quirky foibles does the RS Clio have??!!

And if anyone says look in the FAQ they can FAQ off!

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 16 July 2004

lumpy idle = slightly mild cams (will still sound lumpy after 5 minutes)
Jerkyness/stuttering until about 2.5-krpm = Euro emmisions program in ECU and is normal.
Lumpy idle is also down to the Euro emmuisions laws as the engine has to be effieient from cold the only way to do it is for the engine mapping as seem by owners.

If the idle is to lumpy Renault can check some things to see if the engine is runing correctly.

Black 182 + Recaros

My 172 MK2 also does this but not when I first purchased the car. If this was by design why did it not behave like this from new ?

It only started happening after 6000 miles approx.

Matthew