ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Smell

Clio 182
I get a funny burning like smell when i am pushing my 182 hard, does anyone know what this is? or is it normal? It kind of smells like oil or clutch?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I like that smell reminds me of trackdays, castrol R in two strokes MMMMMMM

BMW 120i Sport
How old is it?

Mine had a new mechanical "clutch" smell for about a month after I got it, but went after that.

182 Cup and Seat Ibiza
i get this smell sometimes too, i thought it might be cause the car was new but it's done 3000 miles now. Anyone got any ideas?

BMW 120i Sport
Nah it does it for a fair few miles, it depends on how you drive it.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I get it on my 172 Cup, If I hammer it, thought at first something was on fire!

It mostly happens to me if the road is wet, I don't think its anything to worry about seeing as quite a few people have the same thing happen to them.

My car has just come through a service and an MOT no problems at all so I'm sure its normal.

Check (if ya can) covering the head is a plastic cover. There's 4 torx screws holding it down. Take them off and just check the rocker box bolts are not weeping oil. I know loads of people that have had this problem, I did and mine doesn't smell anymore. Not saying for sure it's that but when it was fixed it went away. I've since replaced the genny washers with soft core bronze ones that have teflon in both side. Call me a engine pimp daddy - but I'm originally a Suzuki factory mechanic and only like the nice bits in life!!

Lewy.Lewis said:
Check (if ya can) covering the head is a plastic cover. There's 4 torx screws holding it down. Take them off and just check the rocker box bolts are not weeping oil. I know loads of people that have had this problem, I did and mine doesn't smell anymore. Not saying for sure it's that but when it was fixed it went away. I've since replaced the genny washers with soft core bronze ones that have teflon in both side. Call me a engine pimp daddy - but I'm originally a Suzuki factory mechanic and only like the nice bits in life!!

Would this happen only if you nailed it? or would the smell be there all the time?

182 Cup/GT3/RS4/Mini!
It's that sweet odour that comes from kicking the s**t out of yout car tbh - any 172/182 thats driven properly should have a nice aroma from it!! Brake pads/clutch/partially burned fuel etc all play a big part in that aroma±!