ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 steering wheel problem

Hi there

First of all - hi to everyone, Ive just bought an Arctic Blue 182 with Cup chassis having upgraded from a Rover BRM...

First impressions of the 182 are great but I have an annoying problem with the Steering wheel!!

Basically, it sits slightly off centre when you are going straight, i.e. when you have your hands on the wheel in the quarter to three position, your left thumb sits about 1cm lower than your right...

I decided to have the tracking looked at on Saturday. The tracking was spot on even with the steering wheel dead straight when it was on the ramps. However when you take it back out on the road, the steering wheel still sits to the left!! How annoying is that!!

Has anyone had this problem before, and if so how do you sort it? Do you need to take the steering wheel off? I spoke to Renault, Bridgend about this and they said the steering wheel spline is like a 50p piece, so its not as simple as just recentring the wheel...

cheeers

Jools

Ziel Nurburgring

It should just be a case of Renault aligning it correctly, someone on here had the same problem and i believe they got it fixed ok.

Welcome to the club, get signed and sticker up so the rest of the welsh users on here can spot you......(Unless they are in fields enjoying themselves)

Wow - thanks very much for the quick responses...!

the only thing is, Ive spoken to Renault who dont seem to know what to do...

Silvercup - did the dealer tell you what they did? Did they adjust the tracking and/or recentre the wheel?

Cheers

Mini Cooper S sport

My steering wheels slightly off-centre as well (172 though), but it doesnt seem to affect the steering and it was much better after I had the tracking done and new tryres, so Ill just put up with it!

it should have been picked up at the pdi (thats what i was told) they should know what to do ???!!!!! its not tracking its an adjustment done to she steering the have to make a few turns on both sides!!

Will just be fitted a spline or two off centre they will have to remove the wheel and refit it bang on, its not uncommon and its easy to fix.

IF they are right about it being like a 50p piece then the adjustment will have to be done on the track rods but more often than not people have had this issue sorted by removing and re-fitting the steering wheel.

Well I managed to get it booked into Renault Swansea for Thursday so fingers crossed (dont know how I managed that but there you go!!)...

I feel that my steering is all messed up, i feel like im always holding on to the right side to keep it going in a straight line, aswell the steering wheel is definatly off slightly to the right.

I too am going to get my tracking done in the new year and i do hope this cures my problem im having.....

Whats to say the tracking wasnt done properly when i first recieved the car? I know that they said it had a PDI check but within a week or two of me owning the car i discovered that my universal joint was knackered......

http://www.elitedirect.comwww.elitedirect.com It sounds like they do a good tracking service, have a look tell me what you think.

Rob.

Elitedirect:

Yeah sounds to me like they know what theyre on about....

I think its not always as clear cut as the trackings out. Mine is perfectly straight and the car does not drift to the left or the right. It just looks like the steering wheel is not on straight...

If you are bracing the steering wheel to keep the car going straight, in my experience that has been a tracking problem..

My 182 was the same. It has now been in to get sorted - they said it was the tracking. Still not perfect but loads better than it was.

Clio 182

My 54 plate 182 sterring wheel also seemed to be slightly out when going in a straight line,i had it in at the dealer who did a four wheel alignment and cetralised the steering rack and it seems better now,what you tend to find is that some roads will make it worse than others.Renault told me that "with the size of tyres and the suspension etc the car will always want to follow the camber,so in a sense you will tend to steer against it"

ren182, how long did renault take to do that? I would like to go in and get it done at the dealer but cant be without my car for more that 1hr max! Ive just bought it see :)

first of all congrats on car, second bas***d Im still waiting for mine, did you buy from E+I and how did you find the service as ive had my megane into them a few times and am still waiting for a call for a bush on gearstick??

its got something to do with the cup pack probably (suspesnion), as the steering wheel will have prob been set for normal 182 and when they fitted the suspension they forgot to adjust the steering wheel which gets altered by the tracking on the cup suspension, like he says porbably just need a few splines adjustment, if not the whole tracking wants looking at

i had this on an old car when i lowered it, i tried to adjust the tracking but the bolts on one side were seized so i could only do one side, so hence the steering wheel was miles out after