ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Still Tapping!!

Right so here goes. Clio 182 is tapping still. This problem started with it sounding like a sewing machine. The dephaser pulley was changed along with the cambelt as it was efficient to get that done whilst the pulley was being done. All back together and still the tapping. Hydraulic lifters were next. All 16 have been replaced. When put back together there wasnt the tapping on tickover as before but as before when the revs are increased the tapping comes back and goes faster with the engine speed. Completely at my wits end with this now and cant find a solution.

Any help or guidance as to what this could be or if something has been missed then it would be much appreciated.

Phil

ITB'd MK1
Have you unplugged the phase shifter solenoid to see if that makes a difference at all? and have you done anything to measure oil pressure?

garage has done all the work so should this be a standard procedure to check these?. He`s told me to run it in for 200 miles to see if it quietens down but its not looking good. already spent loads on this with no conclusion. to say its getting me down is an understatement

ITB'd MK1
well the symptoms suggest 2 things to me. Either low oil pressure causing a knock as the revs rise, or more likely the VVT cuts in and thats when you're hearing the tapping/knocking.

Checking the oil pressure is fairly straightforward, you just have to remove the standard sensor and put in a gauge adaptor (garage should have test equipment)

this may sound odd, but have a look at the carbon canister solenoid under the drivers headlight, we had a few which made a ticking noise which increased with revs and sounded very much like the tappets, you could clearly hear it when you are sat in the car without radio etc on

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Defo sounds like an oil pressure problem!

My ph1 engine had the same symptoms and has since died!

I replaced all my lifters too!

It's A Reno
This is great!

2 identical threads with different outcomes. It's very exciting. :S

as it stands the problem has got worse. My garage is taking the car to renault as one of the technicians use to be an apprentice of his to see if they can throw light on it. There is something amiss with this. I have done all the common problems and the next thing to do is strip the engine to locate this. Is this worth it or is a new lump a better alternative, albeit this makes the car less attractive come sale time and possibly because of no history any more problems with that engine

Megane F1 R26 LY
tappng can usually be fixed . not worth forking out few grand for a nw engine when it could cost you a hell of alot less sorting the engine you have now !

im just worried that one the cost of stripping the engine, and then replacing whats gone wrong. like i say ive had the cambelt, dephaser pulley and hydraulic lifters replaced and still no joy. At present this has stood me at 1200 quid and im not a bottomless pit and cant be spending money on it like that week in week out. completely at my wits end

Megane Trophy, Golf
Dude have you checked all your spark plugs as this happened to mine and I couldnt find the noise until plug 3 blew out of its hole lol

yeah, garage has had all spark plugs out and put back, had these out when he had the scope in there too. he`s ruled out bottom end bearings as he said it would be ny on undrivable and its not nowhere near loud enough to be them.