ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Still Tapping!!!

Right so here goes. Clio 182 is tapping still. This problem started with it sounding like a sewing machine. The dephaser pulley was changed along with the cambelt as it was efficient to get that done whilst the pulley was being done. All back together and still the tapping. Hydraulic lifters were next. All 16 have been replaced. When put back together there wasnt the tapping on tickover as before but as before when the revs are increased the tapping comes back and goes faster with the engine speed. Completely at my wits end with this now and cant find a solution.

Any help or guidance as to what this could be or if something has been missed then it would be much appreciated.

Phil

CLIO Iceberg 172
i hate to say it but you that tapping could be anything.... it could be the bottom end, it could be the pistons, it could be loud injectors, it could be somthing knocking inside the piston chamber.... it depends on how loud it really is, i alway found the best way to track down a tapping is to use a long heavy screw driver or impact bar and use it to listen to different parts of the engine as its running... put on end on the block and your ear up to the other end, kinda like a stethascope

that should at least tell you if its coming from your bottom end or not

Evo
They all tap mate, its a renault thing im afraid.

My 4000 mile clio sounds like dog poo on tick over, just the way they are.

It's A Reno
Yeah, I agree mate, they all sound like a bag of spanners.

In a way I hope there is something wrong with it because if not, you've spent a lot of money chasing a phantom. :(

Evo
At least you've got peace of mind that your cambelt and cam followers are in perfect order, nothing wrong with that

Vw caddy tdi
i hate to say it but you that tapping could be anything.... it could be the bottom end, it could be the pistons, it could be loud injectors, it could be somthing knocking inside the piston chamber.... it depends on how loud it really is, i alway found the best way to track down a tapping is to use a long heavy screw driver or impact bar and use it to listen to different parts of the engine as its running... put on end on the block and your ear up to the other end, kinda like a stethascope

that should at least tell you if its coming from your bottom end or not

^^+1
When you say the tapping is it alot louder as revs increase, sounds like youve eliminated dephaser and lifters which to me leaves piston and botom end shells/crank. Could it be a bent valve?

the garage has had the scope in the pistons and bottom end and say there is nothing worng on that side. they said that they are in good condition and said thats its top end

CLIO Iceberg 172
sounds like a valve then, could be a lose valve guide or like ben said a bent stem bouncing around