ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Sump Plug Warning

Mercedes SLK350
Changed the oil this morning on my 182.

To my horror I found the sump plug was only nipped up finger tight from the factory.

Bloody French monkeys.

Might be worth checking if you have a new car.

They make up for the loose fitting sump plug when you send it in for a service as I'm sure they use a breakers bar then.

Dead easy to chnage the oil look for the sump nut under the car it should be in the gap in the undertray there two sump nuts under there you wan the one which is on a flat plate not on a lumpy area the lumpy one is the gearbox oil. You need a 8mm sump nut tool from Halfords or if you're keen you can do it with a screwdriver.
Best warm the engine up a bit but not to hot (I don't like hot oil)
Open the oil filler cap
Stick a load of newpaper under the car where the sump nut is and stick a bucket or similar where the sump nut is and where the oil will fall from. Make sure the buckets is big enough to hold hot oil (if the engines hot) and its big enough to hold 5 liters + and will have more capacity as when the oil rocks around when you pull it out.
Remove the sump plug and preferably keep hold of it don't drop it in the oil.
Let the oil fall into the container.
Clean the sump nut replace the washer and clean the area round the sump nut (this can be difficult as it will drip oil forever).
Replace the sump nut with washer and tighten.
Fill the engine with oil. It will take about 4.5 liters i think without an oil filter. Make sure you check the dipstick ever now and again (clean it and redip it ever time) as you don't want to fill up with to much oil.
Pour the old oil into a suitbale container and take to the tip throw all the newspaper into a black bag etc (handly if you've got these realy before hand) and throw that away.

Turbo Beige
Dont forget to change the oil filter every time. Whats the use in changing your dirty oil, to then contaminate your new, clean oil with a dirty filter?

The sump is 4.8 litres as well, really stupid size but thats Renault!