ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***182: Superleggs & Strutbrace***

Clio 197
Any excuse for a just-washed and just-fitted thread!

strub1.gif

strub2.gif

strub3.gif

suleg1.gif

suleg2.gif

suleg3.gif

Clio 197
Ya... from our wonderful demon-tweeks.

It came with four self-tappers in the package, but I'll be changing them for bolts before my nest track-day.

MKIII 138
doesnt the strut brace need to be mounted on the top of the struts to be effected ? how is that actually stoppin fles in the posistion its in ??

MKIII 138
meggerman said:
doesnt the strut brace need to be mounted on the top of the struts to be effected ? how is that actually stoppin fles in the posistion its in ??

stupid edit mode.. flex not fles lol

Mégane RS
I thought they were about 16's i had a set of 16 superleggeras, they were much better than the 17 superleggeras i have now

Clio 197
The flex is in the body of the car itself.

So the two suspension towers held together by a brace will be more effective.

1) reduces flex when cornering.
2) keeps them stable under v.hard braking.

There's so much flex in the body that my ecu holder snapped at an airfield day... I know of a few others who've had similar occurances.

MKIII 138
omar said:
The flex is in the body of the car itself.

So the two suspension towers held together by a brace will be more effective.

1) reduces flex when cornering.
2) keeps them stable under v.hard braking.

There's so much flex in the body that my ecu holder snapped at an airfield day... I know of a few others who've had similar occurances.

so what are you saying that the current setup is better than the strut tops or that oyur gonna change the setup to mount on top ?? where you getting your bits from to do this if this is the case

thanks.

Clio 197
The current setup is the best one: it's holding the towers together at solid points, and increases rigidity of the front.

Strut braces that bolt onto the strut tops will be useless on a 172/182 IMO. Get a mate to turn the steering wheel, and watch the strut tops move around...

Focus ST
Roy Munson said:
What I dont get about these braces, is that you seemingly have to drill the car up? Err no thanks.

Yeah I would be a bit worried about drilling into the struts, if that indeed is how they're fixed on. Couldn't that caused premature rusting in a very structural position?

Love the Superleggaras though. I'm seriously considering getting a set in anthracite. Awesome wheels.

Clio 197
Cheers chaps!

Lucas: The holes were drilled, then sealed with wax.

The bolts going though them will also stop any rust getting to them

MKIII 138
have you noticed any difference with the strut brace added ??

when my bro got the seat strut on his vrs it seemed to drive sharper i.e where you put the steering wheel it went rather than very close and it also seemed to stop roll and the most noticble thing was that it put the power down a lot better.

There are no H and R's yet for the 182. Handling is superb on it though better than the 172's with springs. Plus its nice and soft and relitively cheap to do.
It looks higher than I remember though.
Needs a monster 2.2 dci under the bonnet first.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
edde said:
There are no H and R's yet for the 182. Handling is superb on it though better than the 172's with springs. Plus its nice and soft and relitively cheap to do.

oh yeah, forgot about that.

GAZ do a set though iirc.

Clio 197
JoelDee said:
Looking good fella is it lowered?

Hiya Joel,

Yes it's lowered approx 25-30mm front and rear on Eibach Sportlines.

I recommend anyone to do it, because it was a very good mod imo - make a big difference.... ....so did widening the track 16mm front and rear!

Clio 197
meggerman said:
have you noticed any difference with the strut brace added ??

when my bro got the seat strut on his vrs it seemed to drive sharper i.e where you put the steering wheel it went rather than very close and it also seemed to stop roll and the most noticble thing was that it put the power down a lot better.

I've not noticed anything through town yet... the ultimate test will be on a track (so bear with me until I do one!).

I've also changed the rubber - GSD3's replaced T1S's: they offer similar dry grip - but the GSD3's feel sharper/better, and thus it will be difficult to judge the absolute effect of the strut brace.

I expect it will reduce understeer slightly... and allow for straighter braking.

Clio 197
edde said:

Yup... ask edde - he's taken it around the ring, and seemed to like it!

:approve:

Turbo Beige
Is the ride still good with eibachs, no choppy ness, bouncing over bumps etc?

Thinking about therm but im really happy with the current ride but the car needs lowering!

Clio 197
It's a tiny bit stiffer - but has much less roll.

It's not any less comfy IMO... worst case, sell them on here and people will bite your hand off for them,

The sportlines are a very good kit!

MKIII 138
omar where you get your spacers from ?? i was interested in widening the cup`s track even further 16mm isnt too drastic and H&R`s will still lower a good 40mm i expect without hitting the arch liner. 40mm is all i want anyways now i have been through the arse ache of fitting the carbon splitter i dont wanna rip it off.

also once spaced do you have to adjust the camber or anyother settings. is it recommended ?? im amlways asking this as i went through hell with uneven tyre wear and i didnt realise it was the camber/trcking even though my local garage kept fitting the tyres and balancing them, basically the never told me it needed doing after fitting Koni`s arrg.

meggerman said:
omar where you get your spacers from ?? i was interested in widening the cup`s track even further 16mm isnt too drastic and H&R`s will still lower a good 40mm i expect without hitting the arch liner. 40mm is all i want anyways now i have been through the arse ache of fitting the carbon splitter i dont wanna rip it off.

also once spaced do you have to adjust the camber or anyother settings. is it recommended ??
Its not got spacers its just the wheels offset which widens the track.
You have to have the tracking done after lowering the car.
The car is superb though much better than a 172 with just springs it not figetty or too hard etc. Only thing to be careful off the 182 dampers can fail and some dealerships might try being awquard about replacing them however the 182 dampers can fail anyway. The 182 Cup pack should have been like this realy. its makes for a much better car IMO. the stock suspension can be a bit soft and rolly.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
edde said:
Its not got spacers its just the wheels offset which widens the track.
You have to have the tracking done after lowering the car.
The car is superb though much better than a 172 with just springs it not figetty or too hard etc. Only thing to be careful off the 182 dampers can fail and some dealerships might try being awquard about replacing them however the 182 dampers can fail anyway. The 182 Cup pack should have been like this realy. its makes for a much better car IMO. the stock suspension can be a bit soft and rolly.

am i right in saying the 182 has the 172 cup track anyway?
the 172 cup has a different wheel offset to a standard 172 wheel, hense making the track wider, and the 182 had redesigned hubs to get the same track

MKIII 138
gt_gaz said:
the 172 cup has a different wheel offset to a standard 172 wheel, hense making the track wider, and the 182 had redesigned hubs to get the same track

probably. but how do i get my cup to have a wider track

gt_gaz said:
The 182 handles better than the Cup IMO. You could get some spacers on your car to widen the track a bit more some 5mm spacers are only cheap I've got some I might try on the track this weekend. The only thing to remember is to get the longer bolts if your getting big spacers.

Clio 197
gt_gaz said:

Yup! That's right: Cupped182 Vs Std182 = Cupped 182 has wider track, Via redesigned hubs.

On the 172 cup, wider track was offered Via different offset wheels.

On my Cupped 182, I've widened even further with different offset wheels..

PS Edde, thanks for answering questions whilst I was away... 300miles today, and I'm effing nakkered!